Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus Crosshair IV Formula & F#-128000CL9D-4GBRL

MOBO: Asus Crosshair IV Formula
    RAM: G. Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL DDR3-1600 Pc3-12800 2GBx2 (4 sticks= 8GB)
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 Processor 1090T 3.2 GHZ

I heard great things about the Ripjaws memory and was excited to use it in my new build. I initially put in all 4 sticks and when I powered up the first time and got the continuous beep followed by two short beeps, pause repeat. According to the manual that came with the mobo this means no memory present. I then placed only two sticks in the red colored channels only and tried again with the same result. I then tried using the other two sticks in the same red channels, same result. I then tried each stick in the two red channels with the same result. I know that you can sometimes get bad ram, but 4 sticks all bad in two separate packages, I find that hard to believe. I have found out since purchase that the G.Skill ram I selected is not on the ASUS compatibility list for my mobo, but neither is the Trident or Flare series that many people like and they seem to make them work.

Please help, I'm really frustrated.

Try 1 stick in the #2 slot, the first black one and try to get into the BIOS, if you can reset BIOS to defaults then try 2 sticks. If you can't may want to reset the CMOS on the mobo itself and see if that helps....you're right, it would be extremely unusual to find 4 bad sticks out of 2 packages...more likely is a mobo or CPU problem. If no luck w/ the above do you have or could you borrow a stick from somewhere, friend, co-worker, etc, just to see if it does the same.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks Tradesman,
      I tried that and also tried some Corsair Ram to see if my G.Skill was the problem. I also cleared the cmos (I think) the manual on how to do this appears to require bios and I've not gotten that far. Since my last post I've learned that this mobo has 4 diagnostic led's to help diagnose problems; cpu, ram, vid card, and HDD in that order it hangs every time on the ram light with the same beep code. I'm really starting to think that I got a lemon board as I find it highly improbable that I got two different brands of ram and both were bad.

Comment

I agree, but on the CMOS, you can clear that without going into the BIOS........one thing is two uplug the box, and remove the CMOS battery, it's on the mobo, about the size of a nickel, wait about 10-15 seconds and reinsert.....you also should have a CMOS reset jumper (can find it in the manual, you pull the jumper move it, leave for about 15 sec then place it back on the original pins. If yu need further help,post back, I think I've got a manual.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Wow this thing is weird, I think I successfully fixed the ram issue (although I'm not sure how) it completed the POST and gave me the opportunity to enter the BIOS. I then realized that the keyboard I connected was a USB and might not be recognized. I put the Windows disk in the drive hoping that it would begin installing after POST and load USB drivers so I could use the keyboard. No luck, so I went through the parts I've accumulated over the years to locate a serial plug keyboard which I located. Upon connection no dice. I then realized that I would have to re-start with the serial keyboard connected since those couldn't be recognized by most computers "on the fly". So I did a re-start and now the POST is stopping at the VGA check, with one beep which the manual says means VGA Detected, Quick boot set to disabled, No keyboard detected. I no longer appear to have a ram problem, but now have a VGA issue and it won't see the serial keyboard, but it did see the vid card at least once as directions were on the screen about accessing bios.

Any other ideas? Thanks for your time and Merry Christmas.
          Last edited by jbibeau; 12-24-2010, 09:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Power everything down, unplug the box, then replug the keyboard (making sure it's in the right plug (how about the mouse...serial or usb? Also pull the video card and then reinstall it, make it's tight...also make sure you have the proper power to it (if required many take at least one and some take two PCI GPU power connectors, then give it another shot and get back...I'll be around for a while yet

Tman

Comment

OK did what you said and yes I have one of the those power hungry vid cards; MSI Lightning R5870 which I have two PCI-E 8+2 connectors on from my PSU; Corsair HX850w (when I started to buy parts for this build, that seemed beefy enough). The mouse is usb, I don't think I have a serial mouse even in my stack O stuff, once again the POST check won't go past "VGA", I'm so frustrated.

Thanks for your help, but it's time to walk away and gain fresh perspective on this. I will check in the am for fresh replies and once again thanks for you help.

Comment

No problem - might look see if you have a spare video card or can borrow one, bios might not be getting a good read on it. Will give some thought and get back

Tman

Comment

Can head into basic troubleshooting 101 and start at bare bones, disconnect all the drives by removeing the cables from the mobo, disconnect the USB header cables, et all, everything but the graphics card, 1 stick of dram, cpu, cooler and keyboard then boot and lets eliminate that something else thats connected is causing the problem. Also ensure all the screws at your mobo mount sites are in snug to eliminate a short from a loose mobo (trying to keep from pulling the mobo and running it on bench). If it doesn't make it unplug the keyboard and try, some BIOSs have problems with certain keyboards. If that doesn't help, then we might have to bench test or if you can get your hands on another CPU can try that (doesn't need to be installed, can be beside the case. If it gets through there then we can add an item at a time, because it may be an actual component or even a cable. As you connect each device, ensure the power plug and cables are tight on the device.

Welcome to the wonderful world of troubleshooting.....and on Xmas day......I've got people going to be over and in and out all day, but will be checking in on the boards here and a couple others, so feel free to post away.

Have a gud 1 !

Tman

Tman

Comment

Thanks,
                    The POST is stopping on "VGA" every time now and MSI's website is useless for tech support unless your doing an RMA, I bought this card for this build over 60 days ago even though the box wasn't opened till last week, so that is useless. I did some Google searching and found that my card MSI R5970 Lightning has LED's on the back that indicate power consumption and every single one is lit upon power up. The sites I've looked at say that the only time every LED should light is during demanding games or stress testing, I'm not even into bios let alone any of those things. In a previous post I stated that I was using a serial keyboard, I misspoke, I meant to say PS2 sorry. In the next couple of days I hope to obtain a cheap VGA card to determine if that was the weak link, I hope not because if it is, than I have a $400.00 MSI paperweight. I don't think my PSU is bad because everything else that needs power seems to be fine.

But at least my G. Skill ram seems to be working OK, it now passes on the POST test every time.
                    Last edited by jbibeau; 12-26-2010, 10:00 AM. Reason: spelling & gramar

Comment

What kind of PSU? Also, check in your BIOS...you may have a selection for primary graphics, which may be defaulting to something other than your PCI-Express, i.e. maybe to VGA or PCI when it should be PCI Express or something like that.....also what type of MSI card is it and what slot do you have it in, think the primary is closet to the CPU.
                      Last edited by Tradesman; 12-27-2010, 07:52 AM.

Tman

Comment

We have a similar build, only major difference is memory & graphic card.
                        The diagnostics on the Crosshair IV is first class, second to none.
                        Try putting your graphic card in the second PCI-E slot or borrow another card for testing.
                        Certainly possible that you have a faulty card, too bad that you didn't test it sooner.
                        AMD Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.2GHz
                        Corsair H50 Hydro (push/pull intake fans)
                        ASUS Crosshair V Formula
                        2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1975MHz, 9-10-9-28 (2T)
                        SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
                        Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
                        Corsair HX850W Modular
                        Cooler Master HAF 922 (200mm side fan)
                        2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)

Comment

Working...
                        X