Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• f3-10666cl9d-4gbrl ASUS m4n68T-m stability problem

Hello all,

I have recently bought an ASUS m4n68T-m motherboard with an Athlon II regor 245 (2.9Ghz) CPU with 4 GB f3-10666cl9d-4gbrl

For a while the machine has been running well (about 4 months) but recently the machine started the freeze after some use. 20% of times I get BSOD, 80% it just hangs and I need a hard boot. The frequency of freezing has increased to the point where I now cannot run the pc longer than 5 minutes, sometimes the pc even freezes coming into the windows desktop. I have even managed to freeze it during the MoBo splash screen.

I ran memtest86+ several times. Usually it freezes, only once or twice (after 25x attempts) it actually posted errors. Mostly it just freezes, num-lock light does not respond and tests do not update.

The power supply is a classy Corsair 400W. The video card an ATI 4850 which should all have ample power (especially at idle).

The BIOS has been flashed and updated. The settings are all at auto and I have never overclocked the machine. None of the components feel excessively hot, although I do notice that after a crash, I get a longer performance if I let the machine rest for a bit.

I am debating whether this is Mobo settings problem or a Gskill memory problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Did the problems start before or after the BIOS update? May have had the BIOS reset after a crash or if turned off without proper shutdown, or may have had a new driver for a component that has thrown things out of whack, PSU could be fluctuating, etc, etc.....in short could be a lot of things.May want to check the settings in the BIOS, especially CR, should be 2N, make sure the the base timings are equal to or a bit looser than spec calls for, ensure DRAM voltage is correct or up +0.03 to 0.07 above spec. If none of this helps stabilize, would help if you could post your BIOS settings and or the error msg that appears on the BSOD

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for your help in advance. I have been trying to troubleshoot this problem for the last 2 days and running out of clues. Here is an update: yesterday I ran memtest86 one 2GB bank at a time and both time the machine froze. Today I have been running with 1 bank, and I was able to pass memtest86 4 times (about 2 hours).

How can the machine freeze one day and work ok the next? Confusing to me.

After reading your suggestion, I did re-flash the machine. It seems to have made it a little more stable. I did get one BSOD but got the camera out too late to take a picture and capture the message.

However, if I do start-up an intensive application (GTA IV) the machine freezes within the first minute.

I am debating whether this is a mobo problem. If the memory was bad, memtest should be able to tell me. If it is just freezing it must be something else.

The bios settings are: everything auto. Very simple. I did run cpu-z and captured the log, here are some snapshots:

Processors Information
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Processor 1 ID = 0
      Number of cores 2 (max 2)
      Number of threads 2 (max 2)
      Name AMD Athlon II X2 245
      Codename Regor
      Specification AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 245 Processor
      Package Socket AM3 (938)
      CPUID F.6.2
      Extended CPUID 10.6
      Brand ID 13
      Core Stepping DA-C2
      Technology 45 nm
      Core Speed 2913.1 MHz
      Multiplier x FSB 14.5 x 200.9 MHz
      HT Link speed 1004.5 MHz
      Stock frequency 2900 MHz
      Instructions sets MMX (+), 3DNow! (+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4A, x86-64, AMD-V
      L1 Data cache 2 x 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64-byte line size
      L1 Instruction cache 2 x 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64-byte line size
      L2 cache 2 x 1024 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64-byte line size
      FID/VID Control yes
      FID range 4.0x - 14.5x
      Max VID 1.425 V
      P-State FID 0xD - VID 0x0A - IDD 23 (14.5x - 1.425 V)
      P-State FID 0x6 - VID 0x12 - IDD 20 (11.0x - 1.325 V)
      P-State FID 0x1 - VID 0x1A - IDD 19 (8.5x - 1.225 V)
      P-State FID 0x100 - VID 0x26 - IDD 7 (4.0x - 1.075 V)

Package Type 0x1
      Model 45
      String 1 0x3
      String 2 0x6
      Page 0x0
      TDP Limit 31 Watts
      TDC Limit 23 Amps
      Attached device PCI device at bus 0, device 24, function 0
      Attached device PCI device at bus 0, device 24, function 1
      Attached device PCI device at bus 0, device 24, function 2
      Attached device PCI device at bus 0, device 24, function 3
      Attached device PCI device at bus 0, device 24, function 4

Chipset

Northbridge NVIDIA GeForce 7025 rev. A3
      Southbridge NVIDIA nForce 630a rev. A2
      Graphic Interface PCI-Express
      PCI-E Link Width x16
      PCI-E Max Link Width x16
      Memory Type DDR3
      Memory Size 2048 MBytes
      Channels Single
      Memory Frequency 669.7 MHz (3:10)
      CAS# latency (CL) 9.0
      RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD) 9
      RAS# Precharge (tRP) 9
      Cycle Time (tRAS) 24
      Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 33
      Command Rate (CR) 1T
      Uncore Frequency 2009.0 MHz

Memory SPD

DIMM # 1
      SMBus address 0x50
      Memory type DDR3
      Module format UDIMM
      Manufacturer (ID) G.Skill (7F7F7F7FCD000000)
      Size 2048 MBytes
      Max bandwidth PC3-10700 (667 MHz)
      Part number F3-10666CL9-2GBRL
      Number of banks 8
      Nominal Voltage 1.50 Volts
      EPP no
      XMP no
      JEDEC timings table CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC @ frequency
      JEDEC #1 6.0-6-6-17-23 @ 457 MHz
      JEDEC #2 7.0-7-7-20-27 @ 533 MHz
      JEDEC #3 8.0-8-8-22-31 @ 609 MHz
      JEDEC #4 9.0-9-9-25-34 @ 685 MHz

Hardware Monitors

Hardware monitor ITE IT8721
      Voltage 0 12.08 Volts [0xF2] (+12V)
      Voltage 1 5.02 Volts [0xEF] (+5V)
      Voltage 2 1.43 Volts [0x77] (CPU VCORE)
      Voltage 3 1.67 Volts [0x8B] (VIN3)
      Voltage 4 2.22 Volts [0xB9] (VIN4)
      Voltage 5 3.33 Volts [0xDE] (+3.3V)
      Voltage 6 2.22 Volts [0xB9] (VIN6)
      Voltage 7 1.68 Volts [0x8C] (VIN7)
      Voltage 8 1.68 Volts [0x8C] (VIN8)
      Temperature 0 31?C (87?F) [0x1F] (CPU)
      Temperature 1 27?C (80?F) [0x1B] (Mainboard)
      Temperature 2 128?C (262?F) [0x80] (TMPIN2)
      Fan 0 2974 RPM [0xE3] (CPU)

I do notice one temperature sensor of the chart. What is TMPIN2?

Thanks

Comment

TEMPIN2 is for a second temp sensor, and I'm guessing they don't have it hooked up to anything so HardWare Monitor is simply looking at the address space allocated for it in the BIOS Bloc which is 128 and filling that in (it's more complicated than what I said, but hopefully it will suffice)

First try changing the CR (Command Rate) to 2, if that doesn't work we may have to try adjusting voltages manually, but I think that may do it.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for your advice.

I have checked the bios very thoroughly only to notice that the ASUS m4n68T-m does not have a CR setting. There is actually a petition going on on the ASUS forums to have it added asap to the next bios update. There are quite a few posts on that forum also about stability problems, some refer to similar G-skill memory.

So I did some more searching, AMDtools is supposed to be able to change the CR from windows but only works with AMD chipsets (this is nforce). So I downloaded nvidia system tools and.... the pc crashes instantly when I try to boot it.

all in all great fun, I hope my videocard does not get damaged by all these hard boots.

The current command rate is CR 1, so yes, I would like to set it to TL 2 but currently I can't. Is there another setting that is similar that I can set?

Other options: (all are at auto)
          CPU Overclocking - Default is [AUTO], I can choose [Manual] where I am given the choice from 200 Mhz to 300 Mhz for CPU/HT Reference Clock
          Processor Frequency Multiplier - Default is [AUTO], I can choose from x4.0 800 Mhz up to x14.5 2900 Mhz
          CPU/NB Frequency - Default is [AUTO], I can choose from 4x to 10x
          HT Over Voltage - Default is [AUTO], I can choose from 1.20000 V to 1.38000 V
          CPU Over Voltage - Default is [AUTO], I can choose from 1.12500 V to 1.70000 V with 0.00625 V increments
          VDDNB Over Voltage - Default is [AUTO], I can choose from 0.87500 V to 1.55000 V with 0.00625 increments
          Loadline Calibration - Default is [AUTO], I can choose from 0% to 100% in increments of 3.225%
          Memory Clock Mode - Default is [AUTO], I can choose 400 Mhz, 533 Mhz, 667 Mhz, or 800 Mhz
          DRAM Timing Mode - Default is [AUTO], I can choose DCT 0, DCT 1 or BOTH and have configuration options depending on each choice
          Memory Over Voltage - Default is [AUTO], I can choose from 1.5000V to 2.3100 V with 0.0150 V increments
          Chipset Over Voltage - Default is [AUTO], I can choose from 1.20000 V to 1.60000 V with 0.01000V increments

Comment

This, then is their second mobo they have done that to where the CR is locked at 1. Until they get it fixed, you might think of dropping the speed and tightening the timings, the performance shouldn't drop much if any, if you tighten the CL down a notch at a lower speed

Tman

Comment

what exactly do you mean with tightening the timings?

Thanks,

ps. increase voltage to 1.575 (from 1.5V) seems to have helped a little bit.
              ps2. I am debating whether to get a new mobo

Comment

If currently running at spec you'd be at 9-9-9-24, if you drop the speed to 1200 or 1066 you could tighten the timings to say, 8-8-8-24 to start and maybe down to CL7, but even though the speed is a little lower, with the lower (thus tighter CL of 8) the performance would be about the same, and if possible, you might be able to go CL7 which well could out perform the stock CL9 at 1333

To your PS, may go up to 1.6 for a try, (it's safe) and add .05 to your CPU/NB and CPU voltages - that might help stabilize

To ps2, might send ASUS a nasty-gram about this locked CR and ask what they would do towards exchanging for a different mobo, I can't see tthem being able to run 1800 sticks as they advertise at CR1
                Last edited by Tradesman; 12-06-2010, 09:33 PM.

Tman

Comment

If you continue to have a problem, send the memory in for RMA to see if a new kit works better.

http://www.gskill.com/rma.php

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks,

I have been busy with work and family. But I hope to do more troubleshooting in the weekend and decide what to do.

It is weird that everything worked fine before and is failing now. The stability problem could be related to memory but I want to be somewhat sure before pursueing an RMA. Don't want to waste anyones time

I very much appreciate the help so far, your support is excellent. I will update this weekend.

Comment

Good luck, let us know how it goes, I'll be in and out over the weekend

Tman

Tman

Comment

Had some time to check out my machine again. I was able to use firefox for 30 minutes then it froze. Memtest failed within 2 minutes. It does not give errors but just freezes.

I think I will have to try the RMA and return the modules.

If that does not work, I'll replace the mobo.

Tradesman, thanks for your support, you sure know your stuff!

Comment

Have you run memtest on each stick individually to see if one stick is bad?

If you rma you can contact them at rma@gskillusa.com and find procedures at

http://www.gskill.com/rma.php

and thanks for the plug, I try and help out as much as I can, helps me keep up with the various mobos, sticks and brains available...and what works with what

Tman

Comment

yes I did,

One of them is more stable than the other. With the one stick I can operate the PC for almost half an hour. With the second stick in the first slot I barely make it through the boot.

I will swap the PSU before I rma, I have a second one laying around here.

I wish I had a second PC of this type to swap and check one component at a time.

Comment

Sounds like a plan, let us know

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X