Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL & ASUS M4A87TD EVO Work Together to Full Potential..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL & ASUS M4A87TD EVO Work Together to Full Potential..

Hi there. I am brand new to this forum and brand new to building a new PC. I have bought all the parts, with the CPU and Motherboard finally arriving today. My problem is I have absolutely no idea what I am doing and reading some of these forums talking about BIOS, POSTing, etc etc etc is making my head spin. It's bad enough I need someone else to build the computer for me, but I just want to make sure everything is going to work once it's all put together, and after looking at several threads here, I cannot find a definitive answer if my choice of RAM and MOBO will work together. I bought the RAM mentioned in the title of this thread because it seemed to me it "would" work fine with the MOBO listed, but in the list included with the manual in the MOBO box, it isn't listed. If I have to get something else, I would like to know now so I can order it and then return the other.

These are the major parts of this build:

CPU - AMD Black Edition 965 3.4ghz Quad Core
    MOBO - ASUS M4A87TD EVO
    RAM - G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
    OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64
    Video Card - Gigabyte GV-N450OC-1GI RT
    Case - Cooler Master HAF932
    SSD - OCZ 60GB SSD
    HDD - Seagate 2TB 5900 RPM 32MB Cache

Again, I would just really like to know the RAM I ordered will work with this MOBO to its full potential. Thank you for any feedback, and please keep in mind all the "tech" terms like overclocking, timing, BIOS, etc. mean nothing to me. I just need to push the power button and have it work. Have a great weekend.

Looks like a good rig (in my opinion) with one exception, while I don't work for GSkill, I have my own business in systems and networking and try and help out here. Anyway, if you browse through the forums I think you'll find that the EVO is probably THE most problematic mobo we get help request on. I'd look to a different one. One other thing, you may have to get some help to run 8GB of 1600 w/ the 965, it will prob require tweaking of voltages and a bit of an OC.

When building, it's nice to see the mobo specs saying they will run 1600, 1800, 2000 DRAM...but they don't tell you what CPU they based the specs on and AMD is not known for a strong MC (Memory Controller) that can run the higher speeds like Intel CPUs can. The DRAM itself is a good choice regardless though, because if you have trouble running the full 1600 speed you can drop the speed and (I know you don't won't to hear this), but tighten the timings (not that hard, we can talk you through it easily enough) and run at 1333 with the same basic performance you'd have at 1600 w/ base timings.

Also w/ the SSD/HD combo - if you use the SSD primarily for your OS and primary apps and the Seagate for other apps and data you might not be happy with loading time from the Seagate overall, might give thought to a 7200 RPM drive

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Tradesman, thanks for the input. Unfortunately, everything listed has been bought and I am just waiting until I can get it all put together. I guess I should have done more research before buying, but the MOBO was rated 4 out of 5 stars on Newegg, and I was originally going to buy what I assume was the next step down in RAM, but for $5 more, they had the RAM I bought, and it did look like it would work based on what I read about the MOBO. Unfortunately, as I think you kind of alluded to, I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to putting this stuff together. Fortunately, I know someone that does and he has graciously offered to help. I just hope he knows all about how to set the timing and voltages, etc that you have mentioned so that it will work.

I have another 7200RPM 1.5TB hard drive in an external case I have been using for movies, photos, and to back up my most important work folder. Maybe I will transfer all that into the 2TB and use the 1.5 in my case to improve performance.

Thanks again for everything. I really hope, considering the amount of money I have spent on all this, that it will work for my purposes and last several years. Have a great week.

Comment

If you have trouble getting the DRAM to work at full speed w/ the spec timings, you can drop the speed from 1600 to 1333 and tighten the base timings to prob 8-8-8-24 (CL8) or possibly even CL7 which will perform at right at the same performance level of the sticks doing 1600 at CL9 - if you need any help ley us know

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thank you again for your help. Fortunately, I do have someone that knows how to build computers that is going to put this all together for me. Hopefully he will know exactly what you are talking about, because you could have written that in Mandarin and I wouldn't have understood what that means less. It would sure be nice if all components worked together and the only choices needed to be made is how much a person wants to spend for how much speed they are going to get. It will be really disappointing to find out later on that I could have paid less for the RAM that will actually work rather than more for RAM that will have to be "slowed down" for it to work, especially when there aren't a whole lot of processors, on the AMD side anyway, that are "faster" or more expensive. In fact, I think there is only one more quad core AMD processor that is faster or more money than mine, but I am probably wrong.

Have a great week.

Comment

Just thought I would add that I decided to RMA this RAM to Newegg and get another brand that is the same "speed" and is on the QVL for my motherboard and find I would be charged a $15 restocking fee just because I made a mistake, even though I paid $25 less than it's selling for now. That's just great. G.Skill, anything you can do for me so I can have 8gb's of RAM in my build, even though the QVL doesn't show any G. Skill RAM compatibility of 8gigs? I guess I would be willing to "trade" my 8gigs that won't work for your 6gigs that will.

Comment

I'll Pass that along to GSkill for...whenever they get back, had assumed they'd be in today

Tman

Comment

If you ordered the C3 965 versus the C2 revision, you should be fine with 8GB memory.
                The C3 revision has an improved IMC (Internal Memory Controller) versus the C2 model.
                AMD actually addressed the 8GB memory limitation with the C3 revision on their entire Phenom II lineup.

Reading your mind now, so how can I tell if I ordered the C2 or C3 version:

965 (C2) - 140w TDP
                965 (C3) - 125w TDP

Just checked Newegg, it appears that the C2 isn't offered anymore, so you should be good to go.
                AMD Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.2GHz
                Corsair H50 Hydro (push/pull intake fans)
                ASUS Crosshair V Formula
                2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1975MHz, 9-10-9-28 (2T)
                SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
                Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
                Corsair HX850W Modular
                Cooler Master HAF 922 (200mm side fan)
                2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)

Comment

YourNemesis007, good point, think they have discontinued the C2,, haven't seen any for a little while now, have you?
                  Last edited by Tradesman; 12-28-2010, 08:37 AM.

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by YourNemesis007 View Post
                    If you ordered the C3 965 versus the C2 revision, you should be fine with 8GB memory.
                    The C3 revision has an improved IMC (Internal Memory Controller) versus the C2 model.
                    AMD actually addressed the 8GB memory limitation with the C3 revision on their entire Phenom II lineup.

Reading your mind now, so how can I tell if I ordered the C2 or C3 version:

965 (C2) - 140w TDP
                    965 (C3) - 125w TDP

Just checked Newegg, it appears that the C2 isn't offered anymore, so you should be good to go.
                    Thank you for your reply and information. If you have read all the posts in this thread you will see that I am an idiot when it comes to this stuff. With that said, it leads me to one more question, or statement perhaps. I wasn't asking if my RAM is compatible with my CPU, which "IS" the C3 version according to the product info at Amazon where I got it, but rather if it would work as it should at the optimum speed with my MOBO. According to my MOBO documentation, this RAM is not on their QVL. If that's just because they haven't updated their list that's in the box yet, great, but I would think it would be current on their website, and it doesn't have it listed. And from reading on these forums, it does appear that there are "issues" with this RAM and MOBO combo. Any further thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

All mobo makers test what they have and get, as they can, they don't have a supply of every set of sticks made. They also never bother to mention what CPU they use to test the mobo and DRAM with, which in particular in the case of AMD is extremely deceptive, given the individual limitations of many of AMD CPUs. Generally they will test test with the best CPU available, thus resulting in the ability to advertise the board as 'ABLE' to run, say DDR3 2000. So technically the MOBO can do it, but you may have to get a Thuban 1090T.....and probably OC it, and quite possibly even exceed spec voltage. Many DRAM makers do the same thing. Best bet is often to look around at different boards on the net till you find 2 or 3 different people who have posted of being able to run what it is you are looking to buy or upgrade to, to get a better idea if it can even be done. You don't know how many times I've seen people buy, say, an AM3 mobo and 4 1600 to 1800 speed sticks (because the mobo states in it's specs IT can run it) then they get a CPU thats only capable of maybe 1333 or even only able to run 1 stick per channel.

Tman

Comment

There are three different ways to get this to work to speed:

DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 1.50V, CPU-NB Voltage +0.1V

or

DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 1.60V

or

DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24 1.50V

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                          There are three different ways to get this to work to speed:

DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 1.50V, CPU-NB Voltage +0.1V

or

DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 1.60V

or

DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24 1.50V

Thank you
                          GSKILL TECH
                          Thank you for the information. Unfortunately, I have no idea what to do with it since I am an idiot when it comes to this stuff.

What I do know is that I am having a LOT of BSOD's lately, and I have no way of knowing if it's the RAM or something else (didn't start til I downloaded the latest drivers for my video card) that is causing it. Since the BSOD's have started, my Anti Virus, etc program will have my firewall shut off every time I turn my computer on and I have to go in and turn it back on. I will most likely have to take my machine into a computer shop to find out.

Comment

How about try 1 stick in slot 1, closest to the CPU, see if it boots ok and then see what happens w/ the firewall, etc. What virus program are you running, because if the firewall is getting shut off, it sounds like a virus or maybe you caught a rogue that is putting you in a botnet.

If it doesn't boot ok and problems persist, do the same with the other stick, if still have the same problems, might want to boot into safe mode (start tapping the F8 key as soon as you power upand get a BIOS screen flash), it will give you a text menu, select start w/ networking, it'll take a minute or two, then go to the net and google 'malwarebytes download', select a site and download then install MalwareBytes, toward the end it will want to update, do that then run the program and see if it finds anything.....it will take it a bit to run through your system, maybe 15-30 minutes (hopefully, more or less, not sure what all you have on it) then get back to me, it's 8:38 PST here and I'll be in and out till prob at least 11 or midnight...have to be on the move at 5AM, so won't be up real late, but will be back also, about 9AM Monday.
                            Last edited by Tradesman; 12-28-2010, 08:38 AM.

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                              If you have trouble getting the DRAM to work at full speed w/ the spec timings, you can drop the speed from 1600 to 1333 and tighten the base timings to prob 8-8-8-24 (CL8) or possibly even CL7 which will perform at right at the same performance level of the sticks doing 1600 at CL9 - if you need any help ley us know
                              OK, first, Happy New Year. Next, my new PC is still having issues with BSOD's. Again, I didn't know what that meant until a couple weeks ago. After spending literally hours on the phone with Microsoft trying to "activate" windows, I had a computer "expert" come to my home and do a clean install of the OS. Fortunately, that worked, and I was then able to activate my Office 2010 programs. Any other software I was having trouble with, like ACT2010 was now able to be installed and seems to be working fine.

My problem, I am still getting random BSOD's as mentioned earlier. Every time it happens and my PC reboots, there is a message that windows has recovered from an error or some such thing and there is a button to click to search for solutions to the problem, but I never get anything back. Go figure. My only thought is that this is a RAM issue. When the expert was here, he set the RAM settings in BIOS (I think) to "auto". That was after setting it at the speed it really is and having BSOD's while he was here. I saw how he did that, and I went in and changed it from Auto to 1333, but I have NO idea how to do any of the timing things you have suggested. If you can give me step by step, easy to understand and follow instructions how to do it, I will try. I don't have any more $65 per hour to pay the other guy.

Thanks again for all the input, everyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X