Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL & ASUS M4A87TD EVO Work Together to Full Potential..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You should be using memtest86+ v4.10

You are using an old version that does not support your system.

With Win 7, type "mem" after clicking on Start, and that will prompt for the Windows Memory Diagnostics test.

For that memory at DDR3-1600, use the DDR3-1333 setting, but raise CPU bus speed to 240. This will overclock the memory to DDR3-1600. Then make sure there is enough voltage, 1.50V or 1.60V.

For fail proof settings, you can attempt DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24 1.50V. Keep us posted on the results.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
      You should be using memtest86+ v4.10

You are using an old version that does not support your system.

With Win 7, type "mem" after clicking on Start, and that will prompt for the Windows Memory Diagnostics test.

For that memory at DDR3-1600, use the DDR3-1333 setting, but raise CPU bus speed to 240. This will overclock the memory to DDR3-1600. Then make sure there is enough voltage, 1.50V or 1.60V.

For fail proof settings, you can attempt DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24 1.50V. Keep us posted on the results.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH
      Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, as I have stated many times previously, I am an idiot when it comes to this stuff and I have no idea what you are talking about when you say:

"raise CPU bus speed to 240. This will overclock the memory to DDR3-1600. Then make sure there is enough voltage, 1.50V or 1.60V.

For fail proof settings, you can attempt DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24 1.50V. Keep us posted on the results."

I was lucky that I was able to create a new Memtest CD and run the test, which I owe to your telling me I ran the wrong one. Unfortunately, I have no idea what the test is showing as I don't know how to read the results as it is running. I found a blog that said if there was a problem with the RAM, the test would stop running. That blog was from several years ago, so maybe it doesn't stop now. Since I have no way of knowing what the test says, I decided to start it again and video it for 5 minutes. Here is a link to the video if someone can take some time to look at it and tell me if I do have a RAM problem or not based on what you see:

If you click on the image, you will automatically be taken to my website and the video will start on its own.

I know I get BSOD's way too often, I have programs that just stop running, don't load right at start up, etc etc etc. Even my internet based fax software has suddenly stopped working correctly. Can all these things be caused simply from incompatible RAM? And can these problems be stopped by changing some settings, or do I have to buy new RAM? Or is it something else.

Again, thanks for the help so far. I do hope to get to the bottom of this very soon, because if I don't, I'm going to throw this computer out my front window. (-;

Comment

He wants you to go into the the BIOS and set the Base DRAM timings to 8-8-8-24, they will be listed together and may well already be at this or maybe something like 9-9-9-27. Next find DRAM Voltage and set it to 1.55, look for Command Rate or Command Frequency or DRAM Command Frequency/Rate something like that which should show 1N or 2N, you will want it at 2N, next find CPU Bus Speed and set it to 240, which will raise your DRAM up to 1600

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
          He wants you to go into the the BIOS and set the Base DRAM timings to 8-8-8-24, they will be listed together and may well already be at this or maybe something like 9-9-9-27. Next find DRAM Voltage and set it to 1.55, look for Command Rate or Command Frequency or DRAM Command Frequency/Rate something like that which should show 1N or 2N, you will want it at 2N, next find CPU Bus Speed and set it to 240, which will raise your DRAM up to 1600
          Tradesman, thanks for your help. I went in and changed the timings to 8-8-8-24, changed the voltage to 1.55 (at least I think I did), and the only thing close to 1N or 2N was something that showed options of 1T or 2T, so I set that at 2T. I couldn't find anything that was listed as Bus Speed, so whatever it is at, it still is. And my frequency, I think it is, is on Auto. Pretty sure setting it to 1600 wouldn't be good.

With all this done, I am still getting BSOD's and several program failures, hangups, etc. Think it's time for new RAM?

Thanks again.

Comment

Test one at a time to see if one performs differently than the other.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Test one at a time to see if one performs differently than the other.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH
              GSKILL TECH, could I please refer you to my post of 8:36pm yesterday? And remind you how many times I have openly admitted that I don't know how to do any of this stuff. I really can't afford to keep screwing around with this and simply need to know if that Memtest you told me to run is showing that I indeed have memory errors and if it would be much simpler to replace my RAM than to keep running tests. Please watch the video I posted and let me know if that is the case. I do not have the time nor the patience to unplug everything from my computer, take off the side cover and start removing RAM and testing each one separately when I have no idea what the results even mean or can tell if there are errors showing or not. After changing some of the settings mentioned in my last post, my computer is now taking significantly longer to boot, and has crashed so many times this morning I could literally scream. So, I went back to all the settings they were before, and still having the same problems. Except now, I also get a box popping up every time it actually does fully boot without BSOD'ing that says one of my usb devices is not operating properly or some such thing. Funny thing is, I tested every usb device plugged in and they all are working fine.

I realize that you work for GSKILL and want me to use your RAM, but I really can't afford to mess with this any longer. Again, please tell me what the memtest is showing you, and if it is RAM, I will order new RAM, and then send in these two sticks to you for replacement. I will not give Newegg a 15% restocking fee. In fact, I would bet my return period has expired anyway.

Again, thank you for trying to help, but I need to be "spoken" to like a 6th grader from a few decades ago to understand how to work through this.

Comment

2T was correct, some mobos use a T identifier, others use the N. Your video shows with lots of errors, so it may need a RMA but it may well be it needs a voltage adjustment, could you post your voltage settings, this mobo can be very difficult to work with

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
                  2T was correct, some mobos use a T identifier, others use the N. Your video shows with lots of errors, so it may need a RMA but it may well be it needs a voltage adjustment, could you post your voltage settings, this mobo can be very difficult to work with
                  In the interest of full disclosure, I found out what the USB problem was. It was my memory card reader. It just stopped working although the power light remained lit even after turning off the system.

After finding that, I decided I had to take the case side off and make sure it was still plugged in nice and tight to the MOBO. Of course, it started working fine. Go figure.

Since I had the case open, I decided to move the two sticks of ram to the other two slots on the MOBO. Now, my computer is booting as fast as it ever did. I haven't checked the Bios settings now that they are in different slots, but I did take photos of the voltages as you requested. I don't know what the numbers mean, but here they are. It took two photos to get the whole page in.

After moving the RAM to the other two slots, I decided to do the Windows Memory test, and as soon as it came on the screen, it gave me the message that I have hardware problems and need to contact the manufacturer.

I really think it's time to order new RAM, what do you think?

Thanks again.

Comment

OK, now this is just getting ridiculous. I put my case cover back on, put the tower on the floor, turn on the machine, and guess what happens? BSOD on the first boot up. Unfreakingbelievable. This is getting to be much more than I can take.

Comment

Really beginning to sound as though something may be loose or is shorting somewhere, doesn't really seem to be a constant going on...hate to suggest opening it up yet again, but might want to and first, check that all standoffs are being used and are screwed in tight (check the screws on the mobo and also make sure screws are in all the holes, (we just had a problem(s) similar to yours and it turned out they hadn't used all the mounting holes and was shorting on the case). Also check all connections are tight and even reseat the sticks. Once that's done would suggest unplugging the drives and peripherals and see if it boots okay with the correct speed/timings and voltage..If so connect the C: drive and try again, if good keep adding peripherals one at a time.

Tman

Comment

Well what I mean is plug only one module in the computer at a time. This way you isolate the modules and if one is defective, it should perform differently and you know it is causing the problem. This needs to be done so we know whether it is a memory problem or not.

As far as setting it correctly in BIOS, DRAM Frequency should be set to DDR3-1333. Then go into DRAM Timing Configuration and change timings to tCL 8 - tRCD 8 - tRP 8 - tRAS 24. Then exit that page and go back to the main page. Scroll down to DRAM Voltage and this should be 1.50V. F10, save and exit, and let me know the results. One module at a time, this setting should work fine.

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Well what I mean is plug only one module in the computer at a time. This way you isolate the modules and if one is defective, it should perform differently and you know it is causing the problem. This needs to be done so we know whether it is a memory problem or not.

As far as setting it correctly in BIOS, DRAM Frequency should be set to DDR3-1333. Then go into DRAM Timing Configuration and change timings to tCL 8 - tRCD 8 - tRP 8 - tRAS 24. Then exit that page and go back to the main page. Scroll down to DRAM Voltage and this should be 1.50V. F10, save and exit, and let me know the results. One module at a time, this setting should work fine.

Thank you
                          GSKILL TECH
                          Well, it's been awhile, and here is the latest. I finally had to take my machine to a computer repair shop that knew how to really test things and they found out that one of my sticks of RAM was completely bad and the other has problems. Since I am outside of the return period with Newegg, what are my options? Thanks.

Comment

http://www.gskill.com/rma.php

Thank you
                            GSKILL TECH

Comment

http://www.gskill.com/rma.php

Thank you
                              GSKILL TECH
                              Thank you. Email with RMA request was just sent. Have a great week.

Comment

I'm sorry you're having so many problems. I actually just read through this entire thread for the first time.

Did the shop you brought the computer to test the RAM in another computer? If they tested it in yours, they could have just been seeing the same problems happening which potentially could have been the fault of another component (or mounting problem like TMan said) or some kind of incompatibility or impropersettings. I really do question these shops validity or if they just play a guessing game at times...

Anyways... with all the BSOD's you've been having, i definitely recommend a full OS wipe and program reinstall once your computer is stable. see, everytime your computer BSOD's or errors, it could be writing bad data to your hard disks and corrupting your programs and files. you may even want to check your backup disks if they were connected to your computer at the time. a unstable computer can cause all kinds of havock on your data.

with that said, I truly do hope you get this problem solved. but if that shop's assessment of the problem was wrong (and you still experience the same problems) I would urge you to go back there and challenge them on it. see if they will do more tests for free this time, or refund your last visit.

EDIT: also, from the looks of your memtest screenshots... it looks like it was frozen and not even running at all. like GSKILL TECH said, you need the latest version of memtest. (4.10) and not 3.5 like you had. but the windows memory diagnostic works too, especially for severe instabilities like yours. but memtest is more thorough for minor instabilities.
                                Last edited by LeetMiniWheat; 02-08-2011, 05:09 PM.
                                CPU: i7 4790K
                                Mobo: Asus Maximus VII Hero (z97)
                                RAM: G.Skill Trident X (F3-2400C10D-16GTX)

Comment

Working...
                                X