Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL & ASUS M4A87TD EVO Work Together to Full Potential..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What set

What set do you have and can you put up your BIOS settings, it may be a minor tweak. Did you check with ASUS on the settings they used to test the set?

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
      Have you ran memtest? What settings are being used? Can't help much without proper feedback.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH
      I would be more than happy to run memtest, but I don't understand how to download it and do it. From what I have seen on the memtest website, there are no real instructions how to do it and I'm not going to experiment with a machine that is already giving me problems. And I can't quite figure out how to get to the BIOS settings to do a screen shot of it. Any ideas?

Thanks again. Happy New Year!!

Comment

You can download memtest to a bootable ISO image, download here

http://www.memtest86.com/

burn the iso image to a cd, then set the system through the BIOS to boot from your CD Drive

For the BIOS Screen shots, most take pictures w/ a digital camera and then load the images through the computer

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
          You can download memtest to a bootable ISO image, download here

http://www.memtest86.com/

burn the iso image to a cd, then set the system through the BIOS to boot from your CD Drive

For the BIOS Screen shots, most take pictures w/ a digital camera and then load the images through the computer
          I realize that with each subsequent posting I make, I make myself look stupider and stupider, but I really don't know I.T. I have downloaded the file from the link provided and burned a disc of it like you said. I just don't know if it is OK or what to do with it now as there were no instructions provided that I can see and I don't just open files on discs, etc unless I know exactly what to do with them once I have them since I am having enough problems with my machine as it is. I will attach a screen shot of the contents of the disc I burned, and if someone here can tell me what to do (easy step by easy step), I would greatly appreciate it. If I can put two photos on one post, I will also put up the last BSOD I got that said nothing about Memory. At least I don't think it has to do with memory.

Thanks.

Comment

I am "bumping" this in hopes someone that knows what to do can help me out. Sorry to be a pain, but almost every time I start my machine now, I either get a BSOD or some error message from one of my installed programs that I cannot delete as they are business related. Now, my external ESATA connected hard drive will just suddenly "disappear" from my system, but the operation light just keeps blinking as if it's doing something until I shut it off. This is getting very frustrating, especially because I am not the brightest bulb on the tree when it comes to this. I would hate to think that all this is caused by the wrong type of RAM, but on the other hand, kind of hope it is and all I have to do is change some settings somehow (remember the idiot in me) or replace it with some that will, without doubt, work just fine. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions so far, now I need to get to the brass tacks if someone can take a look at the post previous to this with the screen shots and tell me what to do. Have a great week.

Comment

Ok let's see how we can help, so please follow my steps as best you can:

1. If you haven't already, update your bios to version 1102 via ASUS support website.
              2. Clear your CMOS by moving the jumper pin to the "clear" position and remove the mobo battery, each for about 20 minutes.
              3. Replace the battery and move the CMOS jumper pin back to it's original position.
              4. Post/boot up with only one stick of memory installed.
              5. If you still get a BSOD, try another stick, then another if needed.
              6. Manually enter your memory frequency, timings, and DRAM voltage (1.50v) in the bios.

Try 1333MHz at first with 8-8-8-24 timings:

CAS (tCL) - 8
              tRCD - 8
              tRP - 8
              tRAS - 24

Leave all other memory settings on auto, not sure what the command rate is for this memory.
              AMD Phenom II X6 1090T@ 4.2GHz
              Corsair H50 Hydro (push/pull intake fans)
              ASUS Crosshair V Formula
              2x4GB G.Skill RipjawsX@ 1975MHz, 9-10-9-28 (2T)
              SLI: 2x EVGA GTX 570's@ 902/1804/2032
              Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
              Corsair HX850W Modular
              Cooler Master HAF 922 (200mm side fan)
              2x Win 7 Home Premium (x64)

Comment

Originally posted by YourNemesis007 View Post
                Ok let's see how we can help, so please follow my steps as best you can:

1. If you haven't already, update your bios to version 1102 via ASUS support website.
                2. Clear your CMOS by moving the jumper pin to the "clear" position and remove the mobo battery, each for about 20 minutes.
                3. Replace the battery and move the CMOS jumper pin back to it's original position.
                4. Post/boot up with only one stick of memory installed.
                5. If you still get a BSOD, try another stick, then another if needed.
                6. Manually enter your memory frequency, timings, and DRAM voltage (1.50v) in the bios.

Try 1333MHz at first with 8-8-8-24 timings:

CAS (tCL) - 8
                tRCD - 8
                tRP - 8
                tRAS - 24

Leave all other memory settings on auto, not sure what the command rate is for this memory.
                007, Thanks for the help. I am starting the process and have come across the BIOS Update via the ASUS website. With that said, here is a warning that also came up:

Please note, BIOS update is only recommended when experiencing technical difficulties with your system, And is not recommended to be performed regularly.
                Moreover, due to the nature of BIOS update, there is certain level of dangers involved. BIOS update must be performed with extreme caution . During BIOS update process, your system must be maintained without interference or power loss to prevent unexpected damage.
                In case of BIOS update failure, please follow instructions in your User's Manual for guidelines on BIOS recovery via CrashFree BIOS. In the event that BIOS recovery is not recoverable via CrashFree BIOS, please contact your place of purchase for further assistance on BIOS recovery.

This kind of thing scares me to death. I can't afford for my PC to completely crash and have more problems than I do now, but I will give it a try. As for the rest of your steps, I will have to try them as best as I can and hope I don't screw anything up. Thanks again.

*EDIT*

I have downloaded the BIOS update, but I can't "Open" it. When I say I don't know what I am doing, I really mean it. Can you tell me how to "Update" the BIOS with the file I just downloaded. And I forgot to mention, instruction #2 could have been instructions on building a nuclear B O M B and I wouldn't have understood or figured I could do it any less. No offense intended. The battery thing, I get, but moving Jumper Pins, not so much. I have no idea what CMOS even is. I think I was lucky being able to set the DRAM setting in the BIOS or whatever it is to 1333Mhz, but didn't really see where or how to change the timings. Again, I appreciate your help so much, and hate to sound stupid, but I don't build computers or program them, I just use them for what I need.
                Last edited by id2nv2nj2ca; 01-04-2011, 11:58 AM. Reason: New information needed.

Comment

This may be part or all of your problem, you need to update your bios.
                  Bios updates usually include a number of important fixes, like "improve stability" as noted for your board.
                  Don't be afraid of that warning message, it's standard operating procedure to cover their butts.

1. Download & install a zip program like IZArc or WinZip.
                  2. Get a USB flash drive handy with no files, nothing on the drive, it has to be blank.
                  3. Extract/zip the 1102 bios ROM file to the flash drive.
                  4. Shutdown your computer and insert the USB flash drive into a USB port.
                  5. Start the PC up and boot into your bios.
                  6. Navigate to Tools, then select ASUS EZ Flash Utility.
                  7. The utility should recognize the bios ROM file on the flash drive, select it, then update.

Do not turn off the PC while the update is in progress.
                  Your PC should automatically restart after the bios update, then you should be good to go.
                  After the bios update, follow my instructions on clearing your bios CMOS.
                  Instructions are in your ASUS mobo manual for the jumper pin.
                  If not, just remove the mobo battery for about 20 minutes, then replace it.
                  ASUS Crosshair V Formula
                  Corsair HX850W Modular

Comment

Originally posted by YourNemesis007 View Post
                    This may be part or all of your problem, you need to update your bios.
                    Bios updates usually include a number of important fixes, like "improve stability" as noted for your board.
                    Don't be afraid of that warning message, it's standard operating procedure to cover their butts.

1. Download & install a zip program like IZArc or WinZip.
                    2. Get a USB flash drive handy with no files, nothing on the drive, it has to be blank.
                    3. Extract/zip the 1102 bios ROM file to the flash drive.
                    4. Shutdown your computer and insert the USB flash drive into a USB port.
                    5. Start the PC up and boot into your bios.
                    6. Navigate to Tools, then select ASUS EZ Flash Utility.
                    7. The utility should recognize the bios ROM file on the flash drive, select it, then update.

Do not turn off the PC while the update is in progress.
                    Your PC should automatically restart after the bios update, then you should be good to go.
                    After the bios update, follow my instructions on clearing your bios CMOS.
                    Instructions are in your ASUS mobo manual for the jumper pin.
                    If not, just remove the mobo battery for about 20 minutes, then replace it.
                    007, Thank you again for all of your help. As an update, I just successfully updated the BIOS by following your instructions. The only "problem" is that, on the automatic reboot, I got a BSOD. Now I guess I have to take out the battery from the MOBO and see if that helps. If not, I think it's time to think about switching RAM. And I still need to run Memtest. I have the a CD and DVD created, but I think I got some advice to run it from a flash drive, too. Will have to go back and reread the post here.

Again, thank you for taking your time to try and help a complete stranger. I appreciate it very much. If I don't hear from you before next week, have a great weekend.

Comment

You're welcome, definitely sounds like a faulty memory problem.

Good luck and keep us posted...
                      ASUS Crosshair V Formula
                      Corsair HX850W Modular

Comment

G. Skill, can you comment please...

Hi there. I hope the G. Skill tech reads this. I am getting really sick of all the BSOD's, programs not running right, not starting right, crashing, etc etc etc. I figured out, with the instructions provided by someone on this forum how to run MEMTEST, but it didn't seem to do anything at all. Didn't even act like it was running. My patience is really thin.

With that said, even though it continues to malfunction, I cannot be without my computer, so I can't take out the RAM and send it in and wait for a replacement. What can I do? Newegg does have 6 gigs of RAM this is on the QVL that I am willing to try: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ.

Even though I now know it was my fault for not checking a Qualified Vendors List (as if I would have even known what that was before), I refuse to get hit with their 15% restocking fee, but I am willing to buy the new sticks and then send my old (faster, better...supposedly) RAM to G. Skill for a refund of what I paid for it. Is that a possibility assuming the new RAM works and fixes all these annoying problems? If not, what's my options here, G. Skill?

Thanks for everything.........all of you.

Comment

GSkill should be in today and get back to you

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

What motherboard and CPU do you have? Post information here and we can help you troubleshoot and guide you in the right direction. We'll take care of the headache, you just relay the info.

As far as a refund, you will need to contact your original place of purchase. But for exchanges, we will do what we can to have your system operating smoothly.

Thank you
                            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                              What motherboard and CPU do you have? Post information here and we can help you troubleshoot and guide you in the right direction. We'll take care of the headache, you just relay the info.

As far as a refund, you will need to contact your original place of purchase. But for exchanges, we will do what we can to have your system operating smoothly.

Thank you
                              GSKILL TECH
                              I'm sorry, I didn't see this until today. My system is as follows:

CPU - AMD Black Edition 965 3.4ghz Quad Core
                              MOBO - ASUS M4A87TD EVO
                              RAM - G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
                              OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64
                              Video Card - Gigabyte GV-N450OC-1GI RT
                              Case - Cooler Master HAF932
                              SSD - OCZ 60GB SSD
                              HDD - Seagate 2TB 5900 RPM 32MB Cache

FYI, I did the "Windows Memory Test" or whatever its called, and it said during the test that there is a problem with my hardware, (and I got that message about the second it started) but didn't specify what or where the problem was. As I said previously, I did try to run MEMTEST, but it didn't seem like it was working since it showed no progress or anything. I may try and run it tonight, all night, and see what it says, if anything, in the morning.

Thank you everyone again for all the help. I appreciate it.

Comment

After "running" Memtest for over an hour and a half last night, I shut it down since there was absolutely nothing being done as far as I could tell. I freely admit I am impatient, and running it all night might have changed something, but it sure didn't look like it. The following photo was taken after it had started, and it looked exactly the same when I shut it down.

Comment

Working...
                                X