• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it the RAM of the MOBO?

Model of the motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Model of the memory: F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM
    Model of the CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T

I have been battling blue screen's on and off the past three months and recently it has become a major issue. I am now getting blue screen errors at least once per day. Each error is related to MEMORY_MANAGEMENT and upon reboot, windows 7 is telling me there is a "potential" issue with the RAM. So, I ran through Windows 7's built in RAM test and it passed, but I still got the occasional blue screen. So then I downloaded and ran memtest. For the first test I had the RAM at its rated settings, 1.6 volts, 1600, and 8-8-8-24. It made 6 passes and began to ring up errors on the 7th pass. I then set everything to AUTO in the bios regarding voltages, ram speed, and timing, and then ran each stick through memtest individually. They each made 9 passes error free so I stopped it. Then I put both ram sticks in and set the bios to 1.6 volts, 1600, and 8-8-8-24 and it failed again but after the first pass. Highly frustrated, I set everything back to AUTO and let it run through the night and it made 10 passes error free. So I thought my problems were solved, but then today it blue screened again while installing a program and now I feel like I'm starting all over again. I know its a long summary, but that is everything I have done so far. I am at a loss as to what to try next, so I came to the forums for help. Could it possibly be the motherboard causing the problems?

Try upping DRAM voltage to 1.65 and see what happens. If that doesn't work you may need a tad more voltage to the CPU/MC

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the help. I will try it at 1.65 volts. To be honest, I haven't tweaked the CPU voltages before so I'm not too sure what to do with that portion. Are you referring to the CPU voltage itself?

Comment

I think it's shown as CPU/IMC

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Ignore me if you choose, but......

I have had a similar error of a P55 intel machine. I note your architecture is not a lot differnt to the GA-P55-USB3 mobo. You may have the same issue I was having!

Can you:
          1). build a boot cd or floppy with WINDIAG V0.4 2003. Refer
          http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
          2).Set all bios setting to f7 default to erradiacte any special timings etc you may have plugged. Set bios to boot DVD priority over HDD. (or floppy if your built Windiag floppy)
          3).Reboot into Win 7 on a very standard settings machine (bios F7 - optimal settings).
          4). Choose Win7 "restart" to reboot and let the Windiag CD boot and run wihout revisiting bios or powering off (or other) on way to Windiag running.
          5). Look for errors within couple of minutes in windiag. Use <p> and <m> to pause and enter to menu. Choose "show which stick has the errors. If all on the one slot, record the slot id. BINGO
          6). Swap the memory sticks from slot x to y and y to x.
          7) reenter Win7 and do 4) and 5) again.
          Does Windiag show the same slot as previous or did the errors FOLLOW THE MEMORY STICK TO THE OTHER SLOT?
          If the error count was all on one slot and the slot id was the same after swapping then I'd reckon there's a simple but odd fix.

This will suggest the issue is not just with intel P55 but also AMD. I'd be dumbfounded.

Comment

Many, if not most, AMD CPUs can have problems with DRAM at/over 1333 due to their Memory Controllers. Not to say you can't run faster memory, just that it often takes some tweaking

Tman

Comment

hmm, okay. I didn't realize, until after I had already put my rig together, that AMD had such limitations within their processors. I got mine from newegg so I did a lot of searching around before I got my parts to see what worked for other people and about half of the people were using 1600 or above, so I guess I made a mistake assuming my rig would also go together as smoothly. Ive already passed my 30 day return policy so I'm stuck with these and have to get them to work. Tradesman you seem to know much more about what features to tweak and which ones not to, so I was wondering if you could help me get on my feet in this situation (or at least try). I really would appreciate it

Comment

Can you post your voltage settings and DRAM settings and we can try to get it (hopefully) in a single shot

Tman

Comment

I was getting a ton of BSOD's due to memory issues, I ended up not even being able to boot into windows. I took the sticks out of Dual Channel and so far so good.........still looking into why.

Mobo: Asus M4A88TD-V Evo
                  RAM: G.Skill 2x4GB 1333mhz

Comment

@Tradesman, Sure thing. I'm running memtest86+ on it right now because I had been running the original memtest86 that I had burned a while back. I'm trying to see if 86+ will still read the same errors since its far more up to date. I might be wasting my time doing so, but I'm curious at this point.

Okay, so I have potentially found my issue. Unfortunately I believe I made a foolish mistake. I just double checked the motherboard compatibility chart to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong, and, well, the ram is not on the chart. I feel incredibly deceived. The compatible model numbers are nearly identical to the Ripaws series I bought, just different cas latency. Hmm, do you think its even worth trying to make it work? I may just have to learn from this one and take the walk of shame. I'm pretty embarrassed haha. What do you think I should do?

Comment

You were running what 8-8-8-24? Might try 9-9-9-24, I'll read your earlier post when I swing back to this, but basically, just try loosening the the first three timies in your base timings.........and........

I'll...
                      be..
                      back

Tman

Comment

Hey PenAndPad,

I wouldn't rush into the self condemnation mode too fast.

I did the same as you, and started off with ram not on the "tested" list out of ignorance.

When I was fed up with memory issues I then went and "wasted" good money on ram which was on the "suitable" list. Guess what....... no better.

In fact once I found my problem I have put then old ram back in and it is trouble free. Hello ebay!

The so called "preferred" lists usually state "not all ram has been tested". Hence, if yours is not on the list it doesn't mean your dead meat by any means.

Perhaps manufacturers should develop "do not use" lists and we'd all be better off.

I also wonder why everyone needs to specify timings and voltages for baseline runs. I say let the bios do its job, by default, from the spd data and specify if forced.

Comment

The Do Not Use list idea has been suggested, but probably really wouldn't be any different, they test what they can when they can and with what's available. ON this issue though my main gripe to both mobo makers and DRAM makers is they never provide what CPU they test with......and that makes a BIG, BIG difference, especially w/ AMD CPUs that are all over the board (some won't run over 1066, others can only run 1 DIMM per channel at some speeds, etc, etc i.e. the 955 only has I believe 1 revision that will run 1600 yet they are all just sold as 955 (sort of like the Q6600 with the B3 and G0 stepping, never knowing what you're buying unless you can actually see the box). You need to go on the assumption all are testing with high end CPUs so whether or not the list(s) are valid from anybody depends on your CPU...........Whew, about wore myself out!

Tman

Comment

haha okay. Yeah I've tried it at 9-9-9-24 and have still gotten blue screened, but like you mentioned, I havent tweaked any other voltages or anything. For some reason my motherboard defaults the voltage at 1.5v, and it even lists the ram as 1.5v. Interesting. I have had it at both 1.6v and default but neither seems to be better than the other.

@MikeH I see what you're saying. I wasn't particularly willing to shell out more money if I wasn't even sure it would solve my problems. In the end, how did you find your problem?

These are the default (AUTO) settings:

CPU PLL Voltage Control: 2.500V
                            DRAM Voltage Control: 1.500V
                            DDR VTT Voltage Control: 0.750V
                            NB Voltage Control 1.300V
                            SidePort Mem Volt Control: 1.600V
                            NB/PCIe/PLL Voltage Control: 1.800V
                            CPU NB VID Control: Normal
                            CPU Voltage Control: Normal
                            Normal CPU Vcore: 1.4500V

Memory Clock: 1333Mhz
                            DCTS Mode: Unganged
                            DDDR3 Timing: 9-9-9-24

Comment

I look back over your posts and see huge similarities to the dramas I was having. Please tell me, did you try my suggestion:

setting your Onboard USB 3.0 Controller" bios option to <DISABLED>

More to the point check first that Win7 Memory diagnostic states "hardware error detected" first (within 1 min). And then, after changing the bios, to see if it says aok!

I see your 890GPA-UD3H has the NEC USB 3.0 feature. It'll only take 5 minutes to try.

Comment

Working...
                              X