Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips/Suggestions for ASUS Rampage III Formula and GSkill F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I think I'm getting closer. I will post my BIOS settings so someone more knowledgeable than me might offer some assistance/tips.

I spent the day reinstalling Win7-64 bit on a RAID0 of 2 SATA Raptor drives (69GB each), after removing the Crucial 128 GB SATA III SSD as the boot drive, reloading BIOS defaults, and manually setting DDR-1300, memory timings (9-9-9-24-2N), and DRAM voltage at 1.497. I am still only running 12 GB in slots A1-B1-C1, as I wait for the replacements for the matched pair to be returned folling sending them in on RMA.

I have been installing software all day and not a single unexpected crash/BSOD. My thinking is that there were problems with the SSD in the system.

Comment

I guess that's good news..... but sucks that you can't use your SSD
      MSI Big Bang xPower x58
      Intel i7 950
      GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
      Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
      OCZ Vertex 2 SSD - OS Drive
      WD Black 640Gb x2 RAID0 - Apps and Programs
      WD Black 1Tb backup and storage
      Corsair TX950W
      Water cooling - Swiftech and DangerDen

Comment

Originally posted by wb_martin@roadrunner.com View Post
        I have 6 DDR3-1600-PC3-12800 4GBx2 sticks (24GB) which my builder installed in my Rampage III Formula which I have had problems with since receiving the unit - multiple unexplained and erratic BSODs, and after browsing through this forum, I decided to remove 3 of them temporarily to further troubleshoot. On reboot with only the three sticks, I set XMP in BIOS on a hunch from a tip in one of the threads I saw. So far, only one unexplained reboot on "burn-in" so maybe I have more troubleshooting to do.

Can you provide any general tips or suggestions on the memory and the mobo that might be useful? Am thinking that what I need to do is "start over" from a default BIOS install and go from there.

System:
        MB: ASUS Rampage III Formula; CPU i7 980X with Corsair Hydro H70 cooler; RAM: GSkill 24GB DDR3 1600 (F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL), EVGA GeForce GTX470 Superclocked; Bootdrv: Crucial 128 GB SATA III SSD; ScratchDrv: RAID-0: 2 x WD740GD, 70GB, SATA, 10k RPM; StorageDrv: RAID-3: 3 x 2 TB WD RE4 7200RPM on Areca 1880ix-16 SAS PCI RAID Card, 6Gb/s; OS: Win7Pro-64 bit.

In advance, thanks.
        Bill
        You might want to read http://i4memory.com/ramdetect for tips on stabilizing 6x4GB - if you're trying to push each 2x4GB kits rated timings of ddr3-1600mhz cas9 with 6x4GB, you will most likely need to

1. push cpu vtt (QPI/DRAM) to voltages higher than what is safe for 24/7 i.e. > 1.4-1.65v and more than rated vdimm memory voltage i.e. 1.65v +
        2. drop or make sure uncore to memory ratio is set at 1.5x for 980x gulftown read http://i4memory.com/f55/intel-core-i...-ratios-23430/
        3. loosen timings and drop memory clock speed for 6x4GB to keep within safe 980x cpu vtt voltage levels <1.35v to 1.375v

but i have yet to try any 4gb ddr3 modules so haven't figured out stuff only that what i said hold trues so far for any memory combinations on x58 chipset from 2GB density modules up to 6x2GB = 12gb.
        Last edited by eva2000; 11-13-2010, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the useful info

Good information - a lot there to digest in one reading! As I go forward after installing the secong 12GB of memory, I will study the info in the links. Thanks again!

Comment

- Try upping the QPI voltage like Eva2000's said (lo George ) I would try 1.3-1.35 or so with ya 980X
            - Thing you can also try is to loosen the TRFC value to eg 100 and up the Back2Back Cas delay to 6... (this is a slight drop in performance, but enhances stability big time)
            - Monitor the temps of the IOH ( since you are running the H70, I assume the IOH gets almost zero airflow )

Like some forum members already suggested, in case of such problems it's better to take pictures of ya bios screenshots and post them here
            Last edited by leeghoofd; 11-15-2010, 01:52 AM.

Comment

And you can take everything that eva2000 says to the bank. Don't let the post count fool you. He is an expert!
              Last edited by wevsspot; 11-15-2010, 12:45 PM.
              MSI Big Bang xPower x58
              Intel i7 950
              GSkill DDR3 2000 6x2Gb
              Gigabyte GTX 460 x2 SLi
              OCZ Vertex 2 SSD - OS Drive
              WD Black 640Gb x2 RAID0 - Apps and Programs
              WD Black 1Tb backup and storage
              Corsair TX950W
              Water cooling - Swiftech and DangerDen

Comment

She is a he don't let the name fool you !!

Comment

Working...
                X