F3-12800CL6D-4GBPI (2Gx2) / ASUS P7P55D-E Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL6D-4GBPI (2Gx2) / ASUS P7P55D-E Pro

What bios settings do I use for this setup? I can't for the life of me get the Windows memory diagnostic to pass.

I've tried 1536MHz 6-8-6-24, 7-8-7-24, 8-8-8-24, 8-8-8-25 with 1.6-1.65V - none of these pass the simple windows memory diagnostic.

Right now I'm running at 1536MHz, 1.625v, 8-8-8-24 and I have memory stability issues and it won't pass the simple windows memory diagnostic.

Memory
    F3-12800CL6D-4GBPI (2Gx2)
    http://gskill.com/products.php?index=259

Motherboard
    ASUS P7P55D-E Pro
    http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=T2FxW2fXGZQgSn2V

CPU
    Intel i5-760 overclocked to 4.04 GHz
    http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=48496
    Last edited by brian.salazar; 10-17-2010, 12:18 AM.

I called phone support and apparently 6-8-6-24 should work. I'm going to go home tonight and try each individual module individually and RMA the defective one.

Comment

Okay so here's what I've done

(standard) Windows Memory Diagnostic
      Each individual in dimm b1 - PASS
      2x modules in dimm a1, b1 - PASS

(single cpu) Memtest Boot CD
      Each individual in dimm a1 - PASS
      Each individual in dimm b1 - PASS
      2x modules in dimm a1, b1 - FAIL (reboots the computer after running about 15 seconds every time)

I'm not sure what to do next. Maybe my 650W power supply isn't enough for my setup? I measured the power consumption of my computer and it was 256 Watt, 2.4 Amps at 100% cpu load on all 4 cores (so I don't think it's the PSU size)

Yesterday the windows memory diagnostic tests were failing every time. I don't know why it's all of a sudden passing today. the machine crashes and reboots after about 15 seconds of running Memtest with memory in both dimm a1 and b1. However each module works in dimm a1 and b1 individually. Just not together! Help

I did all of these tests at 1536MHz (6-8-6-24) 1.625v after the G. Skill representative told me my setup supports these advertised timings.

Could it be possible that I have the same issue as this thread? http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=4059
      Last edited by brian.salazar; 10-19-2010, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Possible, reboot the computer a couple times when it is unstable and see if the system becomes stable.

XMP work by any chance? (Without the OC)

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

I tried the XMP profile and experienced the same results. After noticing the XMP profile settings I adjusted my manual settings to bring the frequency to 1600 MHz and am still experiencing the same issues. I'm going to RMA both modules and reference this thread in the RMA document.

Comment

Perfect, let us know how the new kit goes.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

I wish you guys emailed the tracking #, isn't this some kind of standard now? I guess there would be little difference, just used to it I guess..

Comment

I guess I want to get another 4 GB of memory, I'm wondering if my original kit was the best selection for my build? Do you guys (G.Skill Support) recommend any other modules? Obviously if you did I would get 8 GB instead of 4.

Also, I noticed earlier that when I set my timings to 8-8-8-24 there was no notable difference from 6-8-6-24. Even my Windows Experience Index stayed the same. Is there really a real-world difference between these timings?
                Last edited by brian.salazar; 10-25-2010, 08:57 AM.

Comment

The original kit should work well, you can even overclock them since you have CPU overclocked too.

Download a benchmark test program like Everest to see the actual difference timings and frequency can make. Lower timings will help with latency, but it is in nanoseconds, so a real world difference is difficult to see.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

The memory came yesterday and I installed and configured for recommended settings and they passed memtest. I did realize that before I was trying the newer version of memtest and my computer crashed after about 10 seconds every time, the new memory does the same thing. However, I tried the older version of memtest and they passed without any issues. So, I'm assuming the new memtest has issues with my specific setup, and not my memory right?

Also, what do you recommend on the overclocking side?

I've tried the following without any success:

Target:
                    CPU Freq: 4180Mhz
                    DRAM Freq: 1904Mhz

Settings:
                    CPU Ratio: 22
                    BLK Freq: 190
                    DRAM Freq: 1900Mhz
                    DRAM Volt: 1.6375
                    DRAM Timing: 6-8-6-24

My computer would boot, but I was experiencing bluescreens so I din't even try memtest. Am I doing something wrong?

Is there a maximum amount of voltage this memory can safely support? I mean past the recommended 1.6 of course (:

I was thinking maybe raising the timings a bit, but I wanted to ask you guys first.

Comment

I ran the memory benchmarks on the Everest trial and got the following:

Read: 17316 MB/s
                      Write: 14470 MB/s
                      Copy: 20875 MB/s
                      Latency: 40.6 ns

CPU Type QuadCore Intel Core i5 (Lynnfield)
                      CPU Platform / Stepping LGA1156 / B1
                      CPU Clock 4013.2 MHz (original: [ TRIAL VERSION ] MHz, overclock: 43%)
                      CPU Multiplier 20x
                      CPU FSB 200.7 MHz (original: 133 MHz, overclock: 51%)
                      Memory Bus 802.6 MHz
                      DRAM:FSB Ratio 4:1
                      Motherboard Chipset Intel Ibex Peak P55, Intel Lynnfield

Memory Timings 6-8-6-24 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

Comment

Hello,
                        if you overclock this memory to 1900 Mhz , you need to raise the timings to 7-8-7-24 by exemple or/and give them a bit more voltage like 1.65 V,
                        these PI CL6 series are the best modules and have a good heatspreader. it's a very good choice.
                        i just got a PI 12GB kit PC 12800-but CL7 for my i 980x on MB Asus Sabertooth x58.
                        The mines support more than 10-12 % overclock with original timings and voltage without errors in memtest on my card.
                        i don't overclock my ram with 12 GB kit because i need 100 % stability, 1600 mhz is pretty fast.
                        Config 1 :ASUS Sabertooth x58, Core i7 980x, 12 GB GSkill PI series 1600 CL7, Intel G2 160 GB SSD, 2x WD black series, GTX470.

Config 2: ASUS Sabertooth x58, Core i7 975x, 12 GB Corsair XMS3 1600 CL7, Phoenix pro 120 GB SSD, 3x WD green series, GTX280.

Comment

Okay so I wanted to wait a bit to respond in case I started having issues again. It's been a couple weeks now and all of my problems have disappeared thanks to the new memory I got from the RMA process.

I tried overclocking to 1900 MHz with 7-8-7-24 1.65v and got a really unstable system. I guess I need to try 8-8-8-24 and maybe 9-9-9-24?

Anyways, I'm very happy with my system now and want to thank G. Skill for helping me get the memory replaced. RMA process took 7 days by the way.

Comment

Working...
                          X