Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M4A79XTD 4GBRL AMD 945 rev C2 system freezing

Build:

CPU - AMD Phenom II 945 Deneb 3.0GHZ (REV C2)
    MoBo - Asus M4A79XTD EVO
    PSU - Corsair HX 1000W ATX
    Memory - G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB 1600 DDR3 4GBRL
    VidCard - XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770
    OS - Windows7 Pro 64-bit

The Symptoms:

Computer will hang with either black screen or grey screen with striped lines, then I will have to manually restart.

Sometimes this will happen after a few hours of gaming, and sometimes it will happen in the first 5 minutes.

What I have tried:

- I cleared all the video drivers and re-installed them.
    - I disabled the sound drivers.
    - Set all settings to default.
    - Fresh windows install
    - Tried setting memory to 9-9-9-24 2T 1.50v 1600mhz, and 8-8-8-24 2T 1.5v 1333mhz
    - Tested each stick of memory individually, and both in dual channel and in single channel mode
    - Re-installed sound, chipset, mobo drivers.
    - ran memtest overnight - no faults
    - Tried alternate video card, motherboard, CPU, and power supply.

Is there anything else I can try before RMA?

So you tried all that and they all still had the same problem? Very odd, but we can surely RMA for you to see if a new set works better. Doesn't seem to be a memory problem though.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Yeah, I am soooooo tired of this problem. If I had the money to buy a different computer I would take this one out back and shoot it. I can't seem to figure it out for the life of me.

If you had to guess what would you say the problem might be? I am willing to try anything at this point.

I have always felt that it was the video card, but I RMA'd it and the 2nd one has the exact same problem. Maybe its just an ATI card thing... I have always used nVidia. I will try to RMA the memory, and if that doesn't fix it I will save up for an nVidia GTX 460.
      Last edited by Dannzzor; 08-12-2010, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Given the current facts, I can't tell. You covered pretty much everything I would suggest to check. Something seems slightly defective and messing with you. Do you have another power supply?

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

I bought a 750w Power Supply from Best Buy (the 2nd best one they had) and tried that in it, but had the same problem.

Here is some other random information that might be helpful:

- If no sound has played for a little while, when sound is played the speakers will make a static popping sound. This sound system has never done that before.

- Also, when I remove the power source, this PC will make a bunch of those static popping sounds as it loses its stored power. - (this didn't change when I got the new replacement motherboard)

- While playing battlefield bad company 2, sometimes the display drivers will crash and ask if I want to revert to windows basic theme.

- Windows Action Center constantly says I need to install my display drivers, tho I already have. This happened before and after I reformatted.

- When I right click on Catalist Control Center icon I see 3 links to my video card, like I have 3 of them, or like I installed it 3x. I was very careful to only install it once. (this happened both before and after clearing the drivers and reinstalling)

- If I turn the computer off and unplug it and leave it that way for a while, then plug it back in, it will take over an hour for it to crash / freeze, but then after restarting it it will take only 10mins or so. (this made me think it was a heat problem, so I got the 2nd best rated CPU cooler. Now the CPU temp never goes over 30c.)
          Last edited by Dannzzor; 08-12-2010, 06:07 PM. Reason: added some info

Comment

Do you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard?

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

yeah, I updated that a few weeks ago

Comment

Then I can only say send them in for new replacements. DDR3-1333 8-8-8-24 should work without a glitch.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                X