• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faulty(?) G.SKILL on ASUS Crosshair IV

Hi folks,

I recently purchased a new system consisting of

ASUS Crosshair IV Formula board
    AMD Phenom II x6 1090t CPU

and with it I purchased two sets of 2x2GB G.SKILL RIPJAWS F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL for a total of 8GB.

Having installed all DIMMs, the computer was totally unstable so I tried removing a pair of DIMMs leaving just 4GB in the black slots. This was stable and is what I've been using since building the system. Over the weekend I've been doing some testing, hoping that it was some incorrect timing settings, however it seems I have a faulty module in one of the pairs since one pair works fine at the recommended settings in the black slots and the other pair fails on MemTest given the exact same settings.

So after that story, what I'm looking for is some input on where to go from here between returning the faulty (I think) pair for a replacement and trying again for an 8GB setup or returning both sets for a refund and trying something else completely.

So, anyone have this configuration working for them? Or anyone have a different G.SKILL 8GB configuration working on the same board & CPU combo they'd recommend? Or even anyone had similar issues and think it may be my settings somehow causing the issue?

Many thanks for reading and any input.
    Last edited by troll; 08-01-2010, 10:53 AM. Reason: Typos

Check this out...

Here's a link I found with a very interesting setup:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=254482

Comment

Each stick individually should have no problems, so that's how you should test them. If all test OK, you should have no problems using all 4.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've RMA'd the pair of modules that were giving me trouble.

Whilst I understand the procedure of checking the RAM modules one at a time, regardless of the result of that test, I can still not use the pair that appears to be faulty as a pair in dual channel. Even if they worked seperate to one another I would still RMA them as I purchased them as a matched pair with the intent to run them as such in dual channel. I'll update this thread with the result of the RMA so hopefuly this thread may turn up in a search if anyone else was intending to try this particular set up. Fingers crossed the replacement turns up and they work straight out of the box! =)

Thanks for the link too Neo, that guy's setup is pretty impressive, if I end up having to return these modules again perhaps I'd try something a little closer to that. I kind of wish I had initially purchased something at bit more of a premium to go with the rest of my system but for whatever reason that didn't occur to me at the time, my own fault really =)

Comment

Working...
        X