Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory compatibility, Lynnfield with P55 chipset

Hi

I am speccing a new machine for some heavy math number crunching, looking at using i7 860 in an asus P7P55D-E Premium board.

1) The memory QVL published by Asus does not agree with the QVL in the manual, will both sets be applicable ?

2) Finding affordable memory from the QVL is a nightmare, What risk is incurred departing from the QVL ?

3) Are any warranties dependent upon keeping within the QVL's

4) I understand that using memory with a transfer rate above 1333 GT/s, the processor will downgrade the memory transfer rate to 1333 for a proc speed of 2.66 GHz, and to 1066, for some slower proc speeds. What about higher proc speeds ? Is the process scalable.

5) How does 4) work with XMP

6) Which Intel specification states that for 1600 GT/s memory, only one DIMM per channel can be used, what about memroy modules with higher transfer rates.

I would appreciate any advice, there is a great expense at stake and I dont want to make any mistakes.

Many Thanks

This motherboard and CPU will take just about any DDR3 memory we have, including the high performance ones. We work very closely with ASUS to provide the best compatibility between products.

So now to answer your questions,

1) Yes, but some have said there are triple channel kits on the QVL, so you'll want to stay away from those as you need dual channel.

2) No risk, you do not need to follow QVL, most of our DDR3 kits will work, it is just impossible to test them all. Too much time is required.

3) No, for memory, it is lifetime as long as you do not remove the sticker or physically damage the memory.

4) You can set it to a higher speed. This CPU has a 12X memory multiplier, so it can run DDR3-1600 without readjusting CPU settings.

5) Since we work closesly with ASUS, XMP will cover everything for you. If you purchase DDR3-2000, it will make the proper CPu setting adjustments as stated in #4 above.

6) Our testing showed that even DDR3-2000 can be used in all slots, so this should not be a problem.

For math number crunching, I would suggest the G.Skill F3-12800CL7Q-8GBECO or the G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Confidence on QVL

Hi

What you say does not imbue me with confidence in the QVL, i sort of get the impression that it is based on copperplate data for a greater range of boards.

The only memory listed by my trusted supplier for the P7P55D-E motherboard which actually appears in the QVL is specified with a voltage range of 1.7 to 1.9V(1.5 at 1333) when Intel have advised that the i7 860 processor is susceptible to Voltages over 1.65V.

I am also concerned as to what happens first time the system is booted , what will the motherboard use as a reference to identify the speed and voltage ? I assume here that because the memory is managed by the CPU, it will have to be in the loop before the BIOS has been adjusted manually.

Rhetorically speaking, if I am to avoid the triple memory sets, why are they listed at all ?

I will look for the specs for your recommended memory sticks

Thanks

Phil
      Last edited by phil ede; 07-09-2010, 12:42 PM.

Comment

The QVL is simply what the motherboard manufacturer has tested with. A lot of their memory may have been triple channel, and triple channel memory will work just fine, the problem arises when you want 8GB, and you can't purchase a single module stick. For this reason, we suggest dual channel kits, so should you decide to upgrade in the future, you can just purchase another kit.

Ignore memory from 1.70V-1.90V, that is not the right memory for your system, as you already know Intel's advice. Notice all G.Skill modules fall within the spec (1.65V), because we only use the best chips. For the same exact memory specifications, G.Skill may only require 1.50V (standard), while other companies require 1.65V+. You will notice this, and now you will know the reason.

After you boot the system, simply enable the XMP profile under AI Overclock Tuner, and everything will be set properly for you. This is thanks to our close partners ASUS in providing full compatibility and easy set up.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Availability

Hi

The types you mention are hard to come by in the UK. I like the sound of the ultra low voltage versions as they are in keeping with the general design philosophy for the streamlined CPU/chipset.

What would be the difference between the F3-12800CL7Q-8GBECO you recommend, and the F3-12800CL9D-4GBEC please ?

Also, do the heatsinks on the Ripjaw series make them to wide to permit four to be installed ?

Thanks

Phil Ede
          Last edited by phil ede; 07-09-2010, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Is F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL XMP

The only one I have been able to purchase is Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL. Does this have XMP or does it have to be configured manually ?

Thanks

Phil

Comment

Yes it does have XMP, that kit is a good deal. Prices dropped a little, and it gives you the option to upgrade in the future. If you purchase 2GB sticks, you would need to change all the memory in the future.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
              X