No announcement yet.

Will these Tridents work on this mobo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will these Tridents work on this mobo?

G'day,

I'm building a number crunching cluster. All up we're putting together 4 to 6 machines. It needs a lot of a ram, but benchmarks on other computers have also shown ram speed is very important. So we've been thinking of using 2 kits of 2000MHz Tridents to make up 12gb per machine (F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD).

The plan is to use:
    i7 930 OC'd to 3.7-4.0GHz
    Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
    2 x F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD for 12gb total

We'll get a separate ram cooler fan as well.

The shop we were going to buy from said they "dont recommend" buying 2 sets of 6gb ram due to stability issues. The alternative is a 12gb set of 1600MHz RAM (6x2gb sticks).

I know the 2000MHz is only guaranteed if running 3 sticks, but will 6 sticks run fine or are we likely to run into stability issues? Are we more likely to get a higher clock out of 1600MHz which is specifically sold as a 12gb kit, or are we better off going for 2 kits of 2000MHz?

If we can solve this little issue, we want to buy them tomorrow, so some help would be really useful. Part of the reason I want to go G.Skill is the great support I've had here in the past.

Thanks,
    Tudz
    Last edited by Tudz; 06-22-2010, 06:31 AM.

It requires a high QPI/VTT Voltage to support 12GB at DDR3-2000. Many CPUs and motherboards may not even support it. If you plan to crunch numbers, I would suggest a DDR3-1600 low latency kit instead to keep temps/power low. Otherwise the system will be very hot for 247 usage. But if you don't mind, and plan to get proper cooling for MAX performance, then that's fine as well.

But since we have a new 12GB CL6 kit, I suggest it.

F3-12800CL6T2-12GBPI

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-354-_-Product

This guarantees you 12GB at this spec, which is what you need.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

You may be interested in this thread for overclocking:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthrea...highlight=x58a

Comment

I'm pretty new to overclocking so still trying to figure out what's best, but we'll be getting either high end air coolers or low end water coolers (probably Corsair H50s) as well as a Turbulence RAM cooler. The GPU wont be stressed as the number crunching program we use can't take advantage of it, so we are just getting 5750s with stock cooling.

Or did you mean more serious cooling for other motherboard components? We dont have any plans for that as of yet.

We pretty much wanted to push them as hard as we could with reasonably priced cooling so we could fit as many computers into the budget as possible. A little bit quicker might save a couple of hours "waiting for computer to solve" time over the course of a week, but we dont want them blowing up on us. We considered custom water kits but the price across 4 computers ends up quite high.

Anyway, thanks for the advice!
      Tudz

Comment

Working...
      X