Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 of the 3 modules don't POST on "cold boots" G.Skill F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ

Hi guys,

Sorry for the long post but here it is ... If the computer is shut down (power supply still on) for more than 4 hours (cold boot), 2 of the 3 memory modules from my F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ kit don't POST when tested individually. When ALL 3 are installed, only 2GB from the "good" module will POST and be accessible to Windows7-64/Memtest on "cold boots".

I've been troubleshooting this on and off for the past few weeks. I've gone through most of the procedures posted on the net including the one found on the sticky in this forum (http://i4memory.com/ramdetect). I've also exchanged my mobo from an ECS X58-A2 to a much nicer Gigabyte X58A-UD5. I also replaced the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ with a much lighter weight Corsair H50 LCS.

The reason I did this was because I wanted to ensure that there wasn't too much weight or pressure placed on the CPU or socket. IMHO although the Hyper 212+ had good performance to price ratio it also had a poor mounting system.

This is what I get in during POST:

This is what shows in Windows7-64 and CPU-Z:

Memtest86+ shows 3 modules installed but was only able to test 2GB:

Here's what I've done:

1)Updated the BIOS to the latest F5 version

2)Disabled XMP and set the memory to a safe speed of 1066mhz

3)Set memory timings to factory spec of 9-9-9-24 and followed the i4memory.com guide and set the command rate to 2T

4)I boosted the QPI/VTT to 1.315v

5)I removed the heatsink and CPU to check for bent pins in the socket and didn't find any. I made sure that the heatsink was installed with only light pressure on the CPU.

Still as I test one module at a time only one module will POST. The other two modules in the kit don't POST at all. I hit the power button and all I get is a black screen.

Is there anything else you guys can think of before I initiate an RMA? I really need my computer so I'd rather not have to wait for an RMA to process.

Thanks,

holeysox

Sounds like you will need to RMA them. It should only take a week, so not too bad.

http://www.gskill.com/rma.php

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Edit ...

I noticed I forgot to mention that it's a Core i7 930 CPU.

As for the windows screenshot showing timings of 7-7-7-20 is because that screen shot was taken before I set explicit 9-9-9-24 timings. Anyhow, nothing I have done has had any affect on the problem.

These are my current BIOS settings:

Thanks,

holeysox

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply!

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
        Sounds like you will need to RMA them. It should only take a week, so not too bad.

http://www.gskill.com/rma.php

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH
        Should I deal with the retailer for the RMA of directly with G.Skill. The purchase date is past the 15 day exchange policy set by the retailer.

One more note that I find interesting is that when the machine is "warm" and POSTS with all 6GB of RAM, it is able to successfully complete 8 passes of Memtest86 with NO ERRORS.

Comment

RMA processed at retailer ... BUT

I was able to return the defective RAM at the retailer earlier today. It turns out that it's a 30 day return policy for defective items. I made it by just one day.

So far the computer boots up with all 3 modules registering properly during post and hence all 6 GB show up properly in Windows. I was able to "cold boot" twice and all modules are registering properly.

BUT ... I've also experienced two BSOD's with memory dump since installing the new RAM NOTE: I have not experienced BSOD's with this new build prior to installing the newly replaced RAM today. The only issue was missing 4GB of memory during "cold boots" which turned out the be 2 defective modules out of the 3 after individual testing.

This is getting a little frustrating as so far, I have purchased a new heatsink (Corsair H50), changed montherboards (new X58A-UD5) and now RMA'ed the RAM and STILL I'm having issues. I'm really starting to regret choosing the LGA1366 platform.

Anyhow, I will be running Memtest86+ overnight and will post the results in about 8 hours.
          Last edited by holeysox; 06-20-2010, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Memtest results

So there's 0 errors from a 9.5 hours 10 Pass test .... next I will run blended Prime95 test over night and see what happens.

Comment

Try raising QPI/VTT Voltage a tad to see if that helps. Also, make sure you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

You mean higher than the already set 1.315v?

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                Try raising QPI/VTT Voltage a tad to see if that helps. Also, make sure you have the latest BIOS for the motherboard.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH
                As I originally posted, my current QPI/VTT setting is at 1.315v and my motherboard firmware is already updated to the latest F5 version.

With all due respect, what do you suggest the QPI/VTT setting to be? My current setting of 1.315v is just a few notches before the "red" numbers (voltages that the BIOS deems as questionably high). The motherboard default QPI/VTT is 1.175v. I'm reluctant to believe I need to boost the QPI/VTT beyond 1.33v just to achieve stability in a system that is running 133bclk and 8.0 memory multiplier with 9-9-9-24 timings.

I will be running Prime95 Blend shortly ... for 8 hours overnight. We'll see how it goes ....

Comment

This voltage differs from CPU to CPU, which is why I can't simply give you a precise voltage that is spot on and works (unless just lucky).

What you can do is leave it to AUTO, and check what BIOS sets it at. Maybe 1.315V is too much.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

Finally stable

Thank you for your advice.

I ended up with a stable configuration where the memory is running at 1333mhz/1.5v, 9-9-9-24 timings and QPI/VTT set to 1.215v.

Thanks system has been able to run 8 hours of Prime95 on 3 occasions and I have not experienced another BSOD since.

So far so good ....

Comment

Setting timings to 8-8-8-24 should give you a performance boost.

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                      X