CPU Air Cooler / Pi series memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU Air Cooler / Pi series memory

Hi - I was wondering if i were to purchase the Pi series memory, would i be able to use an after market CPU Air cooler and utilize all 6 memory slots, due to the size of memory heat sinks.
    If yes does any one have a recommendation or a model number of the product that was able to fit? The board that i will be using it with is: ASUS P6X58D-E. Would like to overclock a 930 to 4Ghz.

Thank you!

What type of case do you have? You can use something like the Corsair H50, or something like the Dark Knight.

We use this for testing here, it keeps idle temps at 30's and load temps at 50's, mid 60's max for 4.0GHz. It will clear all types of memory, so it's practical. Does its job without being ridiculously oversized.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

CPU Cooler

Thank you for the quick reply.
      I was planning on using the Antec P183 with this build. I hope that should work with the dark night as it doesn't have the cooler cooler cut out on the motherboard mounting wall.
      I was looking at the F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI (CL7 at 1,5v) but just saw on newegg that you are offering F3-12800CL6T-6GBPI (CL6 @ 1,6v). If money is not an issue would you recommend trident or i will not see a difference with my i7 930 and P6X58D-E.

Thank you again!

Comment

People that overclock generally get Trident 2000 because it can fully utilize the extra bandwidth, but if you plan on staying near stock CPU frequency, then DDR3-1600 will be more than sufficient.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Pi / Trident

Yes i would like to overclock the i7 930 to 4Ghz on an ASUS P6X58D-E board. Can i do that and keep the memory at 1600 or will i need to bump to 2000? The reason why i like the Pi series is for low latency (CL6). Or would you recommend to use Trident at CL9 @ 2000 to hit my 4ghz mark?

Thank you!

Comment

The 4.0GHz oc and DDR3-1600 would actually be more reliable. The DDR3-2000 requires more voltage to the memory controller (embedded in CPU), so theorectically speaking the lower stress constitutes greater stability. But, many people operate DDR3-2000 without a problem. Both kits are very similar in specification, the Trident 2000 can operate at DDR3-1600 CL6 or CL7 as well, so it is a tough choice.

Trident is $15 cheaper, so it's up to you which you like better. Results will be similar anyway, so it may just boil down to which is more aesthetically pleasing to you.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Trident / Pi

Thank you again for your response.
              Would i see a drastic difference by running it at 2000? And as far as I understand, the Pi series maxes out at 1600, is that correct? And to get a better performance for $15 probably would make more sense.
              From what I understood from the previous post that Trident has slightly better chips. Would I be able to run the 2000 model @ 1600 and CL set to 6 or 7? If yes what would the settings be then?

Thank you!

Comment

You will only notice a real difference if you overclock the CPU. The PI series is rated for DDR3-1600 CL7, but it is also capable of overclocking as well. Since it is 1.50V, there is plenty of voltage to reach DDR3-2000. The Tridents have slightly better chips because some are able to run DDR3-1600 6-7-6-18. This is not guaranteed, but has been capable with most kits.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Trident / Pi

Thnak you...

OK perfect. Pretty much made up my mind. Yes, i would like to overclock to 4Ghz (i7 930). What model of trident should i look for to hit those speeds (CL6). I will be buying from NewEgg.

Thanks!

Comment

Here is our latest PI DDR3-1600 CL6 kit, but out of stock:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-352-_-Product

Now if you're really looking for THE best... this is just released! Not even pictures are uploaded! Will be sold out very soon after people find out.

G.Skill F3-16000CL6T-6GBPID

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-374-_-Product

Imagine what timings you can use for DDR3-1600!

Otherwise, back to what we were talking about, G.Skill F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD should be able to do DDR3-1600 CL6.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-254-_-Product

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH
                    Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 06-24-2010, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Pi / Trident

Thanks!!!
                      Ordering Pi Turbulence. Thank you again for guiding me. This forum is absolutely wonderful.
                      I just hope i can run the Turbulence @ 1600 and 1.5v. @ CL6 and have ability to run @ 2000.

Thanks!!

Comment

You won't be disappointed, many other people will be because these will be out of stock! =D

I'll be doing some tests to see what it can do at DDR3-1600; you'll definitely have the ability to run DDR3-2000 CL6 and much much more.

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Po / Trident

Im sure i won't... thanks for the tip on the latest and greatest. Very excited to test them out.
                          Let me know, if you get a moment, what theses can do at 1600.

Thanks again and much appreciated!

Comment

I didn't get much time to test because these are sold out everywhere and vendors are asking for more stock. With the ten minutes I had with them, I was able to reach DDR3-1650 6-7-5-18-1T.

At these settings, memory bandwidth was great. With CPU at default 2.80GHz, the low timings even seemed to be slightly faster than DDR3-2000 6-9-6-24 (rated). But with a CPU overclock, I'm sure these would be much faster at rated. Not to metion you could also overclock the memory.

Thank you
                            GSKILL TECH

Comment

G.skill Pi

Sounds great... thanks again for all your help. Just waiting on a couple more parts to come in will be ready for my new build. Cant wait to test them out.

Comment

Working...
                              X