Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus P6X58D Premium + 12GB F3-16000CL9T DDR3-2000 Trident

Hi:

The guy building my new machine recommends two 6GB sets of the F3-16000CL9T DDR3-2000 Tridents with the i7 930 on my Asus P6X58D motherboard. The machine will have an Nvidia GTX 260, a Cosage Arrow cooler starting off with two 140mm fans, three 1 TB Barracuda 7200.12 drives, an LG CD-DVD burner and an HX850W PSU in a Hef 932 case. I plan to add two SSDs or a small Raid array down the line, a BlueRay writer, and maybe a Sata-3 Raid controller. The setup will be used primarily for editing photographs with CS5 and Capture NX2, and website design with Dreamweaver, which is why I need the 12 gig of Ram. Later I will do a bit of video editing.

I plan to overclock to about 3.8GHz or maybe 4GHz, but stability is way more important than squeezing the last drop of processing capability from the setup.

After reading sites like Anandtech I had always believed that I should favour lower latencies instead of greater bandwidth, so I wonder if I wouldn't be better served going with DDR3-1600 chips running at lower latencies such as 7-7-7-7-20something and 1T. Secondly, if I do decide to run the DDR3-2000 chips at 1600 or, horrors, 1333, would these chips still need 1.65V or would I get away with feeding them less power?

I need the 12 gigs of memory and hope to be able to use 2 gig chips rather than pay the premium for the 4 gig modules. Am I being too ambitious with these timings across six chips? This is a working machine that will often run 24/7 and I cannot afford to keep it offline much once it is up and running.

On a more prosaic level, can someone reassure me that the chips will fit underneath the cooler?

Regards,

Jav

Well since you plan to overclock the CPU, high memory frequency can be utilized. But, especially with 12GB, CPU temps will be very high since the memory controller requires very high voltages for DDR3-2000, let alone double the amount of sticks. Many CPUs are not even capable of this.

The G.Skill F3-12800CL6T2-12GBPIS would be fairly equivalent in overall speed, but less in overall temperatures. It is also a tested kit, so you should have no problems. If this is a 247 system UNDER LOAD, I would surely suggest DDR3-1600 instead. DDR3-2000 is asking for high temps/stress 247 even with the CPU cooler.

If you decide to use the Trident 2000's at DDR3-1600, it is surely capable of lower timings and voltages. It is all proportionate, so if it only needs 1.60V at DDR3-2000, it should not need more than 1.50V for DDR3-1600. Also means that DDR3-2300+ may require 1.70V+, just an example.

Yes, the memory should fit under the cooler. We use the Thermalright Ultra, so basically the same thing. Fantastic, I might add. =) At 4.0GHz, this system will be plenty fast.

Look at this thread, not exactly your hardware, but gives you an idea of what you're trying to do.

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthrea...highlight=x58a

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH
    Last edited by GSKILL TECH; 06-07-2010, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Hi:

Thanks. Two last points: so there is no advantage then in going for native DDR3-1600 chips which would not run cooler than DDR3-2000s at 1600? Unlike the fellow in the thread you pointed me to, I would like to keep this machine going as long as possible. Does that mean I should be looking at one of your other lines that use 1.5V or 1.35V in native mode?

He was using his for gaming, I will primarily be using picture editing software. But was he right to go for higher frequency rather than lower latency? The tests at Anandtech I saw indicated that in my application the reverse is true.

Regards,

Jav

Comment

product lines

Hi:

Sorry, another thought. I"m struggling to find the descriptions of your different product lines on your site rather than just the individual products. Is there a place where one can compare Tridents against PIs against ECOs and so forth?

Regards,

Jav

Comment

Most DDR3-1600 native chips will operate at 1.50-1.60V. Most DDR3-2000 native chips are 1.60V, so no matter what, temps will be cool because we use the highest quality chips available. If you look at some other brands, they require more voltage for the same spec. More voltage, means more heat.

So yes, the lower voltage, the better for you, but the motherboard is only designed to operate 1.50V minimum, so you would not be able to utilize the ECO's 1.35V benefits. With your X58 platform, 1.50V-1.60V is perfectly fine for 247 use.

Like I said, if you are overclocking, then higher frequency is benefitted, but if you are simply running near stock, then you will not see much benefit between DDR3-1600 and DDR3-2000. So if you plan on overclocking, DDR3-2000, if not, DDR3-1600 is sufficient. Even with overclocking, many people think DDR3-1600 CL7 is already a blast.

For detailed comparisons, you will need to search for articles and reviews. I can tell you the order goes ECO/PI < Trident < PS

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
          X