• Show
Clear All

• P7P55D EVO + 4 x 2GB F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK

My system

CPU: i5750
    Motherboard: Asus P7P55D EVO
    Memory: 4 x F3-10666CL8D-4GBHK
    BIOS: 1408

Using the default "Auto" settings, if I plug in two sticks into A1 and B1 (it doesn't matter which sticks), memtest86+ runs without any errors.

Add a third, or third and 4th, however, and memtest86+ reports errors for any memory above 4096. and Windows would predictably BSOD in various spots.

Reading the ASUS manual, the 4 x 2 GB configuration should be supported.

Any help?

Enable the XMP profile under Ai Overclock Tuner. If still unstable, try raising QPI/DRAM Voltage slightly to see if that will stabilize 4 modules.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

No luck.

Was already running AI Tuning at XMP.

Tried various DRAM voltages from 1.5 to 1.6. I actually for one boot cycle got 3 sticks going with the DRAM voltage at 1.55, but couldn't get it to do that again.

Any other ideas?

Comment

You will need to test them individually to determine which modules may be defective. Note, memory controller voltage is not the same as memory voltage. Memory controller voltage is QPI/DRAM Voltage, not DRAM Voltage.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

I'm pretty sure the sticks are ok. I've tested each stick individually in both A1 and B1, and they test OK. Also, seems any combo of 2 sticks in A1 and B1 is also OK. It's when I try to add the third and fourth sticks in is where I run into trouble.

Now, I didn't realize the QPI/DRAM wasn't the same as DRAM. However, no clue where I can set that (memory controller voltage) on this board. The AI Tweaker has settings for CPU, IMC, DRAM, CPU PLL and PCH.

Where would I set that?

Comment

IMC Voltage, sorry forgot this was a P55 platform.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Ah yes, that's it. Tried a few settings between the default 1.1 and 1.3 without any luck. Haven't tried any higher.

Am I looking at a possible problem with the MB at this point?

Comment

Post up pictures of the BIOS and I can see if anything is set incorrectly. Should not have such troubles..

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Here you go.

I did see all 4 memtest correctly once after I resat every stick in the board, and fiddled with options. To make sure I wasn't insane, I powered off the PC and rebooted, but the memtest errors returned. I can't pin the problem down to any particular stick, though I've seen the error with just 2 in, (once, couldn't repeat). The last picture is the memtest errors I see, and they're consistent when I get them.

Note: forum limits to 4 images, so the rest are links to images.

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/1653/img0707yq.jpg
                  http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/8953/img0708k.jpg
                  http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/1443/img0709hd.jpg
                  http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/4518/img0710h.jpg
                  http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/2738/photobs.jpg

Comment

Based on what you stated, you may have a "cold boot" problem. When you simply power off, then power on the computer, does it fix the problems/errors? If so, you will need to send the memory in for new replacements.

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Actually, no, it's the other way around. The only way I ever saw it fixed was when I unplugged everything, reseated the ram chips, and booted up. On a subsequent power off/power on, the problems returned.

I'll note that I only saw it successful once with 4 sticks. Saw it once when I tried 3 sticks too, but same deal, once I powered off/powered on, the problems returned.
                      Last edited by tsollas; 06-07-2010, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Please send them in for new replacements. Request to have them tested and the new sets should work just fine.

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH

Comment

I'm RMA'ing both the motherboard and the memory. Thanks for your help. I'll update this thread with whatever results I get...

Comment

I've replaced the motherboard and memory with new ones from RMA, and now am up and running just fine. So, no clue if it was memory or motherboard, but one of 'em was bad. In any case, up and running now.

Comment

Glad to hear! Enjoy!

Thank you
                              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                              X