BSOD on mobo P7P55D Pro and 4G of F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSOD on mobo P7P55D Pro and 4G of F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM

For nearly 6 months, I have build my new configuration with above mentioned motherboard equipped with an i7 860 (and a Noctua cooler to keep it quiet and cool)
    The graphic board is a fanless Gigabyte based on a 4850.

Nevertheless, for always, I have issue on an erratic bases with BSOD. Sometimes 1 month without any issue and sometimes many times a day.

I was living like that but I'm now upset with this issue (I don't know why)

I firstly thought about software, drivers or ... issues. But nothing change even while keeping everything at last version including the BIOS.
    I did not thought about hardware as the stress tests provided with the Extreme Intel utility were totally successful!
    I finally decided to use Memtest in its last version and there plenty of errors of occur (mainly at the one address that is the same whatever is the configuration and the test, even if not always the same)...
    I jumped to forums on the web and discovered this was a quite common issue.

I tried following:
    - set-up of the memory using the auto mode from the mobo: the RAM is configured as DDR3-1333Mhz with a timing 9-9-9-24 and a voltage of 1.5v. For weeks I had the problem
    - I change manually to what is written on the package : DDR3-1600Mhz with a timing 8-8-8-24 and a voltage of 1.65v. --> still problems for weeks
    - yesterday I tried the automatic OC feature just in case it's not worst:
    It's set up following: BCLK Freq = 168 / DDR3-1680Mhz : DRAM v = 1.65v / IMC = 1.28v / Timing 9-9-9-24 and the rest is auto (5-93-13-8-24-0). The 2nd part is 1N-54-56 and the 3rd part is 6-6-19-10-10-7-6-4-7-7-4.
    And here I discovered what could be the issue when surfing on the GSkill website: it should be 2N. I don't know what matter and what are the right timing.

Finally today I wrote manually: 8-8-8-24 (no change to the other values) and 2N with still the over-clocking. (I don't need but if it works better!)

Are all these info enough for somebody helping me?
    What to put if I want to come back to XMP profile that I did not try as discovering the feature today?
    As the value of Ref time Time seems to be critical (here 93 in number of DRAM cycles), what is the best?
    Can I enhanced usage is boosting the RAM as DDR3 - 1680 is only the boost of the BCLK from 1333 MHz, which is a 10600 and not a 12800?

Thanks in advance for any support

Best regards from a French user

Could somebody help me in explaining the best way to have a stable system ?

Thanks in advance.

Bruno

Comment

Simply enable the XMP Profile under AI Overclock Tuner and that should stabilize your system.

The REF time will automatically be adjusted by the motherboard based on your basic memory settings. You do not need to worry about it.

Once you enable the XMP Profile, it will be DDR3-1600 PC3-12800.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thank you dear Gskill tech.
        I tried your suggestion in just using the XMP profile as there has just been a new BIOS release early this week by ASUS (rev 1610)
        It seems to provide good improvement as the Memtest was showing just a single error up to the end of the 4th test ( I believe it's still too much, but nevertheless much better than the 100 I had before)
        I decided to used the computer like that, but unfortunately since this morning (4 hours) I got already 3 BSOD! which is far more than before!
        The timings of the RAM are:
        8-8-8-24-5-88-12-8-24-0
        2N-41-42
        7-7-18-9-9-9-7-6-4-7-7-4
        (in bold for the manual values, the others are auto)
        Is there anything to do to have this wonderful system running well?

Thanks for your support

Comment

Now, I've been running my computer all the day. In fact after 8 "working" hours, I can say I've got 11 BSOD. Just unbelievable! As it one of the hottest day we got for the last weeks, is the system sensitive to a few degrees more or less?
          This evening I tried many tests: first of all I flashes the BIOS many times between newest release 1610 and former one 1408
          --> It's looking like the 1610 is unstable for my system ... even if tuning seems exactly the same
          When running tests with memtest separately on the 2 sticks, in fact only one has errors wherever I use it for the slot A1 till B2. The other one is always working with the old BIOS (but has one error with the new BIOS)

I will try having the computer running with the just a stick and will probably ask for a RMA for the bad stick.

Will let you the rest of the story tomorrow.

Comment

In fact situation is not as easy as it was looking like up to yesterday.
            As system was suspected as being stable, I decided to let it run overnight with old BIOS and just one stick of memory in B1. I still (to my surprise) got 3 BSOD over night ! BIOS release seems to have in fact (nearly) no impact
            I decided to run Memtest on the "good" stick in B1: in fact 1 single error after each 20mn to 30mn of test runnning --> it's just a nearly good or slightly bad stick.
            I retried the "bad" stick in A1 or B1 and there the errors are numerous: generally up to 50 in 2 to 3 mn ! --> really bad.

Should you want to see pictures of the screens, just ask for.

My sticks have serial number 938 0640 132 097 and 098. The worst one is the 097.

It seems there is no way of getting a working system. I used the computer all day long with the "less worst" stick and got 6 BSOD! It seems that a case temperature of 30?C is very difficult for these memory sticks, in comparison to a temperature of 20?C!

Could a GSkill technician let me know what to do:
            - find a nice timing/voltage adjustment making it work ?
            - confirm or to not to return sticks after getting an RMA, and if yes wether to do it directly or through my normal dealer ?
            - is it possible to return the kit in 2 steps, in order to keep a system running with half the memory?

How long does a replacement take, as I do not want my dealer leting me wait 4 or 5 weeks without any computer asI need it for my work.

I thank you in advance for your advice.

Regards

Comment

Dear GSkill team,

I contacted my reseller in France (Grosbill) who told me that the best is to manage it directly with the manufacturer in order to avoid up to 8 weeks of non-availability of the parts ! I can just not stay without any computer for so long, and buy new parts just to wait is an expensive solution!

I thank you in advance to let me know more about the way to proceed as asked in the previous post.

Regards
              Bruno

Comment

Does sound like you may have a bad set. Please send them in for new replacements. Our Taiwan office may be the quickest option if you are in France.

http://www.gskill.com/rma.php

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                X