• GA-890FX-UD5 & f3-12800cl9d-4gbnq

Motherboard:
    GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5

Ram:
    F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ (8GB 4x2)

CPU:
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz
    (standard timing)

Trying to get it set up to run 1600 stable. I've been having some problems that I believe might be heat, but to be sure I would like to see the recommended settings for this motherboard. I ordered a GSkill memory fan too just to make sure that they keep cool.

looking for some suggested timings and advanced settings. Since everything can be set on this board I would appreciate a full list of settings including voltage.

Additional info

"some problems" = memtest errors running test 7 - Random number test. (mostly). Also having a fan pointed at the memory reduced the number of errors but did not eliminate them. They are currently running at 9-9-9-24 @ 1333 mhz
    3 errors on memtest in about 3 hours

Comment

Try 8-8-8-24 @ DDR3-1333 (not MHz)

In addition, you may need to raise NB Voltage (try 1.30V) or CPU-NB Voltage (+0.1V) to stabilize 4 modules. This will be required for DDR3-1600.

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Stable @ 1333

Ok - looks like I'm stable @ ddr3-1333. So to try DDR3-1600 i just need more NB voltage? I was turning up the memory voltage to 1.57v. The down side there was after a while the heat build up would start to cause pixelation.

tonight I'll try 1.51v for mem and 1.3 for the NB. 9-9-9-24 @ ddr3-1600 see if that will hold up.

Comment

Let me know the results. Should be fine with those settings. Also, overclocking the NB Frequency slightly may help as well.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

NB voltage is the key

Upping NB voltage worked like a charm. I was hesitant to put the voltage up that high since the board considers that to be "orange" or somewhat high, and warns against using it, but the results are, no real increased heat, and a stable system. Zero issues and the ram is running at 1.5v rock solid.

Comment

Upping voltages is not a bad thing. The hardware needs certain voltages to operate. Even when overclocking/over-volting, orange and red in BIOS is very normal especially for standard conservative motherboards. The reason why it is not of concern is because if the hardware is actually utilizing the voltage, then there should be no problems at all. But for example, if the hardware only needs 1.50V and you set it to 2.20V, then obviously some damage may happen.

Glad to hear you were able to get everything running solid.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Since memory controller is on the processor, why does raising the NB voltage fix stability issues?

Comment

In general, we just want to cover all bases at once. In addition, the 890FX chipset has a memory management unit embedded in the Northbridge.

Thank you
                  GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                  X