No announcement yet.

Unstable Win7 64-bit with GA-P55A-UD7 and F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried to use those BIOS settings as best I could (I'm afraid some of the instructions were a little unclear) and the system booted okay. (At least the system didn't just power down the way XMP Profile1 does). I tried to install Win7 64bit again, and when it got to the point where it was expanding files on the DVDand copying them to disk I got an error that basically said the files on the DVD were corrupt. A little poking around online seemed to show that this is known to sometimes be a symptom of an unstable overclock.

So I'm not sure if this approach is going to help me (although not sure why I got different results than you did; maybe I didn't do everything correctly). I am still hoping for some input from Gigabyte support when they (hopefully) respond to me tomorrow.

Thanks for the attempt though; if I can ever get the OS to install cleanly I may come back and try this again.

Comment

Originally posted by scl1954 View Post
      I tried to use those BIOS settings as best I could (I'm afraid some of the instructions were a little unclear) and the system booted okay. (At least the system didn't just power down the way XMP Profile1 does). I tried to install Win7 64bit again, and when it got to the point where it was expanding files on the DVDand copying them to disk I got an error that basically said the files on the DVD were corrupt. A little poking around online seemed to show that this is known to sometimes be a symptom of an unstable overclock.

So I'm not sure if this approach is going to help me (although not sure why I got different results than you did; maybe I didn't do everything correctly). I am still hoping for some input from Gigabyte support when they (hopefully) respond to me tomorrow.

Thanks for the attempt though; if I can ever get the OS to install cleanly I may come back and try this again.
      what was unclear? u got ud7? all the bios voices are called in that way....dont worry if u put only +1 or +0,5 on voltage nothing happens....i hope u solve it.
      This time no bsod?

Comment

I was just having trouble decoding some of your shorthand. And I didn't get a BSOD, but I did get an error that prevented the install from completing (which sounded like it could be caused by an overclocking instability).

Anyway, I was just about to post with some new developments. Since I wasn't sure I had done all your settings properly, I went hunting online for information about overclocking the i5. I found this article:

http://techgage.com/article/overcloc...5-750_i7-870/1

While they didn't give complete instructions about the settings they used it was enough so I could try again.

This time it seems to have worked.

I was able to install Win7 64-bit with all 4 sticks of RAM in place, something which has never worked before. I am currently updating drivers and installing updates; so far so good. After my system seems current and stable I am going to try to run some benchmarks and stress tests to see if I can make it fail. I've never tried to do that before; any suggestions?

Anyway, my problem may be solved (although I don't want to claim that until I can stress the system for a while). And running at 3.6GHz yet, which I hadn't planned to do.

Thanks for putting me on the right track. I may not have interpreted your instructions correctly, but the fact that something like this worked for you gave me the lead I needed.

I'll update again if I learn more (or if it blows up in some new and exciting way).

Comment

Well, I did have a new failure but not the one I expected. After downloading and installing the latest Windows updates, the system now claims my copy of Windows 7 is not genuine!

I have a Tech Support request in to Microsoft; can't imagine what's causing this, since this is a version bought from NewEgg.

Could it somehow be related to overclocking?!?! I can't believe that...

Comment

to check ur ram stability start memtest bootable from bios..and then try to use orthos for like 1 2 min,if it's not really stable it wont start..use also super pi.

I will be very happy to help u to get of out of this ****!

Comment

nothing to do...this morning when i came back to work,system crashed entering in windows.....wtf can it be?
              Yesterday all worked smooth.......I hate 64 bit^

Comment

i've notice that in the bios settings if u put pch sata control mode to ahci the system wont start..always bsod....i set it to ide.

Comment

Just an update; after solving the "counterfeit OS" issue (I eventually got the Microsoft validation tool to run and grudgingly admit, yes, this is actually a legal copy of Win 7) the system seems pretty stable using the new overclocked BIOS. I have had a couple of odd incidents but the BAD_POOL_HEADER class of BSODs hasn't recurred. I have run various stress and torture tests without incident.

I sent a kind of nasty note to Gigabyte support after they told me for the THIRD TIME I should try running with the simplest hardware configuration possible (duh) and I responded for the third time that I have been since day one. It has become clear that they aren't really reading my emails; I directed them to this forum thread but they didn't mention ANY of the issues raised here or make any relevant comments. No mention of the new F5 BIOS release and why it might or might not be useful. Interacting with them was pretty much a waste of time. All the useful advice and information I got was from this forum - thanks again to all of you!

Comment

Having a similar problem

Hi scl1954,

Are you are still notified of changes to this thread? I am having a very similar problem and would like to know exactly how you fixed it.

Comment

Unfortunately I don't have access to that system anymore (I was building it for someone else) but the solution was to overclock the BIOS using settings similar to the one drudru posted a while back. (Just look backwards through the posts and you will find them.) As I remember I wasn't able to follow the instructions exactly but the changes got me pretty close.

It didn't seem to fix the system 100% (I hear there are still occasional memory blue screens) but the system ended up pretty stable. I think the bottom line was that the memory needed to run at higher speeds than the default.

BTW, while I like Gigabyte products, I have to say that their support was massively unhelpful. If I had left it to them I would have had to trash the system and start over with a different motherboard.

Good luck

Comment

Gigabyte Mobo & GSkill F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM & Win7 x64

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R Rev1.0
                        Intel Core i7 920 @2.6 GHz
                        GSkill F3-12800CL8T-6GBRM
                        Powercolor ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB
                        OCZ Stealth-x-treme 700W PSU
                        3 Samsung, Seagate SATAII HDDs

To begin with, I'm having almost the same problems as scl1934 suffered here.

First, it was mobo resetting itself right after the POST screen (following the RAM installation). With Bios version F12h for Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3r Rev1.0, setting anything above 1066 MHz was ending up with either unmatched RAM amount or a certain reset at the point I've just told about.

Then after being able to install Windows 7 Ultimate x64 in 3 trials, as soon as I got to the internet, I downloaded the latest (Beta) Bios from Gigabyte which was F12i. That seemed to have solved the problems that prevented me from running the memory modules at 1600 MHz, and I unkknowingly thought that "all my troubles were far away" now.

No, hell it wasn't.

First I got a BSOD while I was installing .NET Framework 4. I can't make sure since I've seen a couple of them but it may be Memory_control_management error.

Then, while updating and installing other essential stuff on the OS, I got 5 more BSODs the last ones of which were all BAD_POOL_HEADERs.

Some demo file for Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 (Installshield) that I was able to install and play flawlessly the day before I made a RAM and, forcefully, OS upgrade (on Win7 32bit with 2x1GB Corsair RAMs), was refusing to install giving some certain temp location bla bla error with the code 1152 -which, after a hunt down through the internet- was persistent in "some" systems if unsolved through specific procedures.

I figured out that the whole OS was in turmoil having witnessed that another InstallShield installation was unable to complete succesfully. So I ended up with the decision of installing a fresh OS for the nth time, hoping that the RAMS were more "acclimated" with the system as some other computer geek advised me so on waiting for it.

Anyway, now that I use the exact manual configurations suggested by GSKILL TECH here, I hoped that I could install my new Win7 Ultimate x64 without encountering any problems, yet I was unfortunate to hope so.

Now, I get "Windows can not install required files. the file may be corrupt or missing" persistently. Another fellow here scl1934 who had almost identical problems as mine here had suggested that such issue does not have to be related to corrupt install files. I can also confirm this because I borrowed a friend's Win7 Ultime after the first error just to see if mine was defective. No, both got screwed through the same error.

I really don't know what to do now. Almost 48 hours now, I have been only on PC just to overcome this to no avail.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Comment

gskill

Your problem may well be similar to mine, but in retrospect in seems that most of my issues revolved around mixing the Core i5 with the Gigabyte UD7 and 64 bit mode. (In my research it seemed like most people using the Core i7 as you are were not having any problems.) I did have a lot of the same symptoms as you; an array of memory-related BSODs and the error about "corrupt files" on installation. As I mentioned in one of my old posts, I have seen various articles which say that this "corrupt files" error is a symptom of an unstable overclock (i.e. bad BIOS settings).

So while I can't give you specific answers I think your solution lies in finding a workable BIOS configuration. I found this article helpful but I don't know if it applies to your configuration.

My problem was that ultimately the out-of-box BIOS settings were not workable for the UD7 motherboard and 1600 memory in 64 bit mode. I'm guessing you have another version of the same kind of problem, and finding the proper BIOS settings is the key.

I suppose you could try searching the web for "GA-EX58-UD3R", "Core i7", and "12800" and try to find an article on overclocking that gives BIOS settings that work for your combination of MB, CPU and memory speed. And I'll re-iterate that you are much more likely to get useful information from GSKILL than you will from Gigabyte; they should be embarrassed with what passes for support there.

Comment

I managed to get my PC working on 1066 Mhz as I told in my thread.

Everything fine and error-free, I wanted to make sure if there's any way out of this 'cause I paid for a 1600 MHz RAM.

So I went over to TweakTown forums and got some help there about how to configure my BIOS.

Yet as soon as I configured just as they told me and set the Memory Multiplier to 12x for 1600 MHz, the nightmare was back again. 2 BSODs out of nowhere in about 3-4 hours.

I'll see what they have to advise more, I got them my two dump files.

I have to figure out in less then a week 'cause I didn't make any payments to the supplier and I have to know shortly if I should return this or not.

I guess, GSkill Tech won't help me here.

Comment

Fightcat, what did you do to get the memory working at 1066MHz?

Comment

Nothing.

When you set the dram clock to Auto, it automatically sets it at 1066.

Comment

Working...
                                X