No announcement yet.

Unstable Win7 64-bit with GA-P55A-UD7 and F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am getting a better picture now. Looks like NON i7 chips do not work well with UD7 with Win 64bit. Hopefully Gigabyte will get some updated BIOS for you guys soon.

UD7 is top of the line P55 platform mobo tailor designed for 860 and 870 because of their high OC abilities. Now I see it does not work well with the i5....
    Last edited by jojodancer; 05-14-2010, 01:38 PM.

Comment

i'm not using them.....xmp.....my mem timings are 7-7-7-24/ now i'm using at 9-9-9-24.....:\

Comment

scl1954,

Return your Corsair or G.Skill RAMS and get a i7 860 and will save you all the troubles.

This is no way to get two defected NIB UD7 in a row???

Comment

Originally posted by jojodancer View Post
          scl1954,

Return your Corsair or G.Skill RAMS and get a i7 860 and will save you all the troubles.

This is no way to get two defected NIB UD7 in a row???
          maybe he need to wait....i've sent a mail at gigabyte....for shure they will response me next week...

Comment

post your problems at:

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/board,5.0.html

sure you will get some constructive results.

Comment

Drum roll.....

Gigabyte released a new BIOS update TODAY. The description says "Improve memory compatibility". Now, I wonder what that could mean...

So at this point it sounds like jojodancer is right; there may be a compatibility problem which only affects Core i5's.

Now I've got to get that BIOS update onto a system with no OS (fun) and try it out. I'll post the results.

Thanks to everyone for hanging in there. Maybe the end is in sight...

Comment

lets hear the news

Comment

It didn't work.

I updated from BIOS level F3 to F5. Trying to install Win7 64-bit runs into the same set of various symptoms I have been getting for weeks. In a few attempts I got

One SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
                  One BAD_POOL_CALLER
                  One silent crash and reboot with no blue screen (that I could see)

Just for fun I tried setting XMP "Profile1", and again got the same result (where the system just silently powers itself off after POST).

So now the ball is firmly in Gigabyte's court. Was this BIOS update supposed to fix problems like mine? (64 bit support for Core i5-750, which is where we guess the problem lies). Or did I just jump the gun, and "Improve memory compatibility" referred to some other poor *******'s problem?

I would like to wait for Gigabyte support to respond; if they can't tell me a fix is on the way it's probably time to switch brands. That probably won't happen until Monday.

Grrrr.

Comment

If you decide to switch brand for another mobo, why not upgrade to i7 860?

UD7 costs $280 that is equal to a i7 860.....

Seems like you are building a high end system but using a middle grade i5?

Comment

Yes, after my last post I thought of doing exactly that; might as well upgrade the CPU instead of switching boards.

I knew the UD7 was overbuying a bit for the Core i5 but I read several good reviews on it, it supported the 6 GB/s SATA III and I have never gone wrong with Gigabyte in the past. I was a little leery of the i7-860 just because it was more expensive and some of the justification for that is hyperthreading, which is not a feature which will come into play much for what is intended to be mostly a gaming machine. (I have even heard horror stories about L4D2 where hyperthreading makes it stutter and perform worse than without. Not sure if that's really true; I don't see why hyperthreading should hurt, even if it doesn't help since most games aren't written with multithreading in mind.)

But even if that's true you can always turn hyperthreading off, and as you point out buying an i7-680 is going to cost about as much as another MB in roughly the same range as the UD7.

I still want to hear what Gigabyte has to say before I lay out more cash. While I'm pretty, well, irked about this colossal waste of my time they still make a good product and I'd just as soon stick with them if they don't act like total jerks about this. If they can confirm that the problem is the i5 and there will be a fix very soon (i.e. this week) I may just wait for it.

But before I swallow hard and buy the i7 I would like some assurance from them that it will make all my problems go away; so far they really haven't been too helpful. This forum thread has been great; I really appreciate all the support and hand-holding, especially since GSKILL has not been the source of the problem.

Comment

Hi
                        I have 3 problems
                        - my english is not perfect
                        - I dont know much about computers
                        - I have exactly the same problem with an instabile windows 7 64 byte. In my computer there is a core i 5 processor too, but a motherboard from ASrock ( P55pro ) an the same RAM you have from Gskill. So I think changing the motherboard doesnt make any sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Elrond View Post
                          Hi
                          I have 3 problems
                          - my english is not perfect
                          - I dont know much about computers
                          - I have exactly the same problem with an instabile windows 7 64 byte. In my computer there is a core i 5 processor too, but a motherboard from ASrock ( P55pro ) an the same RAM you have from Gskill. So I think changing the motherboard doesnt make any sense.
                          I have solved the problem....now i am stable with both system.win 7 32 and 64 bit.
                          i have updated bios to f5,my cpu is now at 3.6 ghz and ram at 1800 with 7 8 8 24.

Tomorrow i post my bios config.

Now with 64 bit,super pi works,orthos,all fine.
                          i ran only 20 min of orthos.

FOR WHO HAD UD7
                          GUYS PLEASE ALSO CHECK ON WHAT SATA CONNECTOR U CHOOSE.
                          For my error i plug the sata 2 connector in the last 2 white sata connector,which are controlled by gigabyte chip.Be sure that u plug the connector in the sata connector controlled by the P55 chipset,the difference is amazing.....

Comment

Elrond: At this point I'm not sure what to tell you. If you've read through my posts you know I tried changing the RAM from GSKILL to Corsair, and this did not solve the problem. We are currently going on the assumption that the problem is with the Gigabyte motherboard and the Core i5-750 CPU. We are hoping that Gigabyte support can shed some light on this, but they haven't responded for a while and I don't expect them to re-appear until Monday.

I suppose the problem could be shared by the two motherboards. Have you tried ASRock support, and have they had anything helpful to say?

drudru: I have been using the P55 interface. Are you saying that the F5 BIOS fixed your problem? As I said, it did not seem to address mine, but I am using the "optimized" BIOS settings (no overclocking). Maybe it would still take some BIOS tweaks.

Comment

Originally posted by scl1954 View Post
                              Elrond: At this point I'm not sure what to tell you. If you've read through my posts you know I tried changing the RAM from GSKILL to Corsair, and this did not solve the problem. We are currently going on the assumption that the problem is with the Gigabyte motherboard and the Core i5-750 CPU. We are hoping that Gigabyte support can shed some light on this, but they haven't responded for a while and I don't expect them to re-appear until Monday.

I suppose the problem could be shared by the two motherboards. Have you tried ASRock support, and have they had anything helpful to say?

drudru: I have been using the P55 interface. Are you saying that the F5 BIOS fixed your problem? As I said, it did not seem to address mine, but I am using the "optimized" BIOS settings (no overclocking). Maybe it would still take some BIOS tweaks.
                              i am using normal intel cooler wich is the ****...now i'm playing on 3.6 ghz and ram 1800 cl7..run perfect now,if the bios fixed my problem i should w8it few days..
                              tomorrow i put some of my bios config...i go to bed.
                              See ya

Comment

overclock rock solid

In the bios disable all cpu energetic saving..(everyting,like c1e,thermal monitor,turbo,all..)
                                -cpu ratio a 20x
                                -blck a 180

-ddr3 1600 setmemory ratio 8x, if u have ddr3 1800\2000 10x

timing ram auto or put relaxed timings like 9 9 9 24

extreme performance memory su disable

loadline calibration o vdroop enable

vtt 1.20 ( it may change 1.15 e 1.25) max oc dayli 1.25

vcore 1.25 ( it may change 1.15 e 1.30) max oc dayli 1.35

vpll 1.82 ( it may change 1.80 e 1.85) max oc dayli 1.90

voltage ram 1.60 ( ddr3 1600 u can also put 1.50) ( if u have 1800\2000 lasciate 1.60) max 1.70

pch\mch ... 1.05 one step more auto voice...for me it like 1.08.

Hope these settings can help u..now i'm working fine.With these settings u gonna work solid with cpu at 3.6 ghz.

Comment

Working...
                                X