No announcement yet.

Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5 with F3 12800CL9D-4GBRL 8GB (4x2GB) Not Quite Stable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5 with F3 12800CL9D-4GBRL 8GB (4x2GB) Not Quite Stable

Hello. I love this memory and I've used G.Skill a lot in the past, and I know it's compatible with this board. Here are my specs:

2 sets of dual-channel kit Ripjaws F3 12800CL9D-4GBRL total 4 sticks
    GA-790FXTA-UD5 Rev. 1.0 motherboard with latest BIOS (F3F) dated 4-26-2010
    Phenom II x4 965BE C3 stepping
    Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
    1 TB Hitachi Sata HDD
    PowerColor Radeon HD-5870
    Corsair H50 Water Cooler
    LG BD-Burner
    Lite-On DVD Burner
    Corsair 950 Watt PSU
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Red Dragon Case

Ok, I've ran memtest all night with no problems (with all 4 sticks installed - haven't tried singles yet.) Windows runs great. I've scanned the forums and found that I have to manually change the memory timings to SPD otherwise they default to 1333 instead of 1600. My CPU has C3 stepping so the MMU shouldn't be an issue.

The only time I have issues is running games. If I leave the memory at 1333 then I can play games all day long. But at 1600 (9-9-9-24-t2) many times my games will crash to a black screen and reboot the PC. I've seen on here that I may need to bring up the voltage of the nb, so in the bios I went from 1.10 to 1.175 first. It helped some, but I still had issues. Then I went to 1.2 (cpu-nb setting in BIOS.) That helped more. But then when I thought I was finished, it crashed once more during a game. So then I brought the HT speed up to 2200. I'm not convinced that has fixed the issue yet since I haven't played much after changing that.

I've been building PC's for over 15 years and never tried overclocking, and I put these pieces together because they are very capable of it if I wanted to try it out. I've seen some posts in the forums that suggest either a 1.3 or 1.4 voltage for the nb and I have to wonder how safe that is because in my BIOS, those settings are in a warning zone. I believe the 1.3v is listed in pink and the 1.4 is in red. Just wondering as I don't wanna fry my expensive board. There are two settings for NB and maybe I'm not using the right one? Or are they tied together and just listed in two places? I think one is cpu-nb and the other is just nb? Not sure now as I'm at work and not able to look.

Anyway sorry if I'm long-winded here but I've tried to put in as much info as I can remember about what I've tried so far.

Thanks guys I love this forum!
    Rob

If you have HT Voltage to adjust, increasing this may help as well. As far as all the over volting, and color changes, it is perfectly fine for your hardware.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Ok thanks! This board has settings for everything, especially in the newer beta F3 bios (drive strength and so on.) I'll tinker with the HT tonight and not worry about the colors on the other ones.

Rob

Comment

Still having some problems while gaming. Every time I think I've licked the problem, the computer crashes/reboots during a game. But it's getting better. I think I've just got to get the voltage right. Last night I installed MassEffect2 and it crashed right out of the intro cinematic when gameplay started.

So far I'm still running the memory timings at 9-9-9-24-2t with 1.5v. I've got the nb-cpu up to 1.4v and I've upped the HT to around 1.125v, just a bit above normal. Every time I nudge something up, I can game longer before it breaks. But when ME2 crashed out of the gate I went in and upped the voltage of the nb to 1.2 (not the nb-cpu, just the northbridge).

I'm a little confused on this forum whereas people say to up the nb voltage. Do they mean the nb-cpu or the plain old nb? Anyway now I've got the nb-cpu at 1.4 and the nb at 1.2 and still running the memory at 1.5. After I did this I played ME2 for 3 hours with no problems and went to bed. Maybe this time I've got it? I hope so cause I bought this memory to run it at 1600 for gaming but so far I've been pulling my hair out with it (my fault really since I didn't know that running 4 sticks would cause me to have to make adjustments.)

Do I have things set up properly or are there any other ideas? Everything else is on auto and I'm not overclocking the cpu (yet anyway) cause right now I just want this thing stable.

Rob

Comment

Bump

Comment

CPU-NB does not need to be that high. +0.1V should be fine. NB Voltage can be 1.30V. I would suggest raising HT Voltage slightly higher to 1.30V-1.40V.

You can thank AMD for all the troubles. =P

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Ok I gamed all weekend with no issues. Thanks! I lowered the cpu-nb down to +0.1 and raised the NB and HT. Thank you again for your help We can close down this thread.

Rob

Comment

Working...
              X