Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5 AM3 and DDR3 12800

Hello,

I recently started a custom build (last 2 weeks) that looked good on paper, but I am having significant stability issues with a slew of different BSOD errors. I initially thought memory timing was the culprit so I set the correct timings/voltage in the BIOS. I have run several memory tests, i.e. memtest and receive errors after just a few minutes. However, the memory sometimes passes the Windows memtest diag. System config is as follows.

Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5 AM3 (bios v2)
    AMD Phenom II x4 955 3.2
    8 GB (2x4) GSKILL PC3 12800 (F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ) set at 9,9,9,24, 1.5v; 1600
    BFG 275 GTX
    WD 640GB sata 3
    Thermaltake 750w psu
    Hauppauge 1850 tv-tuner
    Win7 64bit

The memory is listed as compatible on the gigabyte website:
    http://www.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memo...90fxta-ud5.pdf
    I have swapped the modules 2 at a time. One set BSODs every time after post, while I get less stability issues with the other matched set...but still receive them.

Any guidance is much appreciated!
    Last edited by DyJoh; 04-28-2010, 01:29 PM.

Related issue with cold boot

Found the thread linked below just after posting here. Describes my issue exactly. System would run great (if making it to desktop), and then perpetual BSODs when starting the comp after it has been off for several hours. Totally dismissed the happenings as coincidence :/

http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=4059

Comment

I have the same exact problem so i didn't want to start a new thread.
      Using a Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 with Phenom X2 550 BE and 4GB of F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ

The memory clearly shows as compatible on gigabytes website but plugging it in and getting it to run is a different matter.
      Same exact issues and everything. These are brand new sticks just bought the day before yesterday.
      I am changing the processor for an T1090 X6 but till then... i have the same problem. None of the cold boot stuff, but everything else is the same.
      however running it at 1333 rather than 1600 makes them fully stable.
      Last edited by InnerD; 04-28-2010, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Not all AMD CPUs are guaranteed for DDR3-1600. Sounds like that may the case, so you will need to raise HT Voltage (+0.3V) and possibly CPU-NB Voltage (+0.1V) to stabilize the CPU. Overclocking the Northbridge to x11 2200MHz will generally fix this problem and also provide a nice boost to overall performance.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Well i did try out just about every suggestion here. Nothing worked, changed voltages all over the place, nada.
          I just got done installing my 1090T X6 and it works 100% by just changing timings to 9-9-9-24. All is well so far for 5 mins now.

About the other settings though, can i change those RAS to RAS etc the ones below the 24T.
          Can you give me a detailed spec of what they should be?

Comment

Those can be left to AUTO, as the values complement your specific motherboard.

The new AMD CPU sure is nice. Finally.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

There isn't really an auto setting. If its at auto then all the settings are locked to 1333 being 11-11-11-32 As soon as i take off auto everything is set to that spec and i have to manually take them off 11 etc.

Comment

As long as the basic memory settings are properly configured, the others should be detected properly by the motherboard.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Let me show you what i mean for posterity.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/1558/img0200b.jpg

is it OK to set the timings from the left column or should i leave them at what the right side column says?

Comment

SPD column is what they should operate at. AUTO column has "looser" settings, although they will work as well just not max performance.

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                    X