Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would the PI F3-12800CL7T-6GBP work best for my ASUS P6T SE mobo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can surely clarify your problems.

1) DDR3-1066 does not operate with XMP/EPP since it is below DDR3-1333. Core temps jumped because more voltage is being utilized at DDR3-1600 than DDR3-1066. At DDR3-1066, the memory is not using 1.50V. Even if you have it set at this, it is overvolted. So 3-4 degree jump from DDR3-1066 to 1600 is perfectly normal.

2) In CPU-z, are you looking in the SPD tab? Max bandwidth 667Mhz (PC3-10700)? That is the maximum default, DDR3-1333, like I was speaking about above. You will need to look in the memory tab. It should state DRAM Frequency ~800MHz 7-8-7-24. The memory tab shows the actual values the memory is currently operating at where as the SPD tab is the suggested values.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

If the Tridents are superior compared to the PI, can it run 1600Mhz at 1.5v? If so what would the settings be?

Comment

Which Tridents? DDR3-2000? Yes, they should be able to.

Thank you
        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
          I can surely clarify your problems.

1) DDR3-1066 does not operate with XMP/EPP since it is below DDR3-1333. Core temps jumped because more voltage is being utilized at DDR3-1600 than DDR3-1066. At DDR3-1066, the memory is not using 1.50V. Even if you have it set at this, it is overvolted. So 3-4 degree jump from DDR3-1066 to 1600 is perfectly normal.

2) In CPU-z, are you looking in the SPD tab? Max bandwidth 667Mhz (PC3-10700)? That is the maximum default, DDR3-1333, like I was speaking about above. You will need to look in the memory tab. It should state DRAM Frequency ~800MHz 7-8-7-24. The memory tab shows the actual values the memory is currently operating at where as the SPD tab is the suggested values.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH
          Thank you for getting back to me. Sorry for the delay in response as I have some free time now to tackle on this issue.

In response to question #1, I thought you had mentioned that 1.5V is the LOWEST that any speed will go (whether it be DDR3-1066 or DDR3-1600)? Because I was under the assumption that only voltage increases temperatures, therefore it wouldn't make sense if DDR3-1066 and DDR3-1600 was using the same voltage--for it to have a temp increase.

2) Also, I have uploaded pics of the MEMORY and SPEED tabs:

My memory shows around 534.5 MHz running at 8-8-8-24 whereas the SPD will show the 667 MHz. What should I do? Is this right? I have AUTO settings currently in the BIOS (no XMP enabled or anything--just AUTO which I believe sets it at 1066 settings....but CPU-z is showing weird timings?) Also, note the 1.5V. Am I overvolting it as well? Please advise on what to do.

Thank you!

Comment

No, 1.50V is the rated voltage at DDR3-1600 CL7. G.Skill modules are high performance so many times they do not even require the rated voltage. But especially at DDR3-1066 or anything lower than DDR3-1600, it may only be using ~1.40V, which is why your CPU temps were lower than if a full 1.50V was being used.

AUTO is not right at all. Look at Post #12, you have to set it manually to that or enable the XMP Profile. Notice in your first picture (SPD tab), the last option in the Timings Table is XMP-1600. This is what the memory is rated for and what it should be operating at. These exact settings should show in the memory tab. So simply complete the settings and you'll be good to go! You just haven't done so.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

No, 1.50V is the rated voltage at DDR3-1600 CL7. G.Skill modules are high performance so many times they do not even require the rated voltage. But especially at DDR3-1066 or anything lower than DDR3-1600, it may only be using ~1.40V, which is why your CPU temps were lower than if a full 1.50V was being used.

AUTO is not right at all. Look at Post #12, you have to set it manually to that or enable the XMP Profile. Notice in your first picture (SPD tab), the last option in the Timings Table is XMP-1600. This is what the memory is rated for and what it should be operating at. These exact settings should show in the memory tab. So simply complete the settings and you'll be good to go! You just haven't done so.

Thank you
              GSKILL TECH
              Ah, so what you were saying is on AUTO (DDR3-1066), it is using less than 1.5V, which explains the less heat.

However, this speed is incorrect on AUTO, and I should set it via post #12? Do you know the speed settings in which I would have to achieve DDR3-1066 speeds then (instead of DDR3-1600?).

I remember when I had enabled the XMP profile before (as I stated in post #15), then the heat would jump back up a little, which you said should be now 1.5V. However, I guess since I am not OC'ing yet...my CPU is still stock at 2.8 GHz, I would just use the DDR3-1066 speeds with less heat. What settings would I need to do to take advantage of this? It is also strange that under SPD tab, it shows everything at 1.5V? I do not see the ~1.40V mark?

Comment

Post #12 is for rated memory settings. Although slightly more heat, the motherboard and CPU is fully capable of it 247. Otherwise you can use these settings:

Ai Overclock Tuner - Manual
                CPU Ratio Setting - 21
                Intel SpeedStep Tech - Disabled
                BCLK Frequency - 133
                DRAM Frequency - DDR3-1333
                UCLK Frequency - AUTO
                QPI Link Data Rate - AUTO

DRAM Timing Control
                CAS Latency - 6
                tRCD - 7
                tRP - 6
                tRAS - 21
                Command Rate - 2N

DRAM Bus Voltage - 1.50V

This is DDR3-1333, which should be the standard, but for some reason DDR3-1066 is what your motherboard is defaulting at.

The timings table in the SPD tab are suggested values. Because the JEDEC standard (minimum/default) is 1.50V, that's the lowest this particular motherboard can go. But as you see with newer P55 platforms, and the new 890 AMD chipset, they are capable of setting 1.50V or lower. But just because your (minimum/default) is 1.50V, does not mean the system is always using 1.50V. It will use up to 1.50V. The BIOS only provides rough estimates, they are not precise voltages being supplied. As you overclock the CPU and memory, you further dwell into this area and experience the differences.

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me. So, I'm still a little confused.

If my motherboard was setting DDR3-1066 on AUTO, and it should be therefore the lowest heat output, correct? Even though my motherboard states it's 1.50V, it may be going lower than that--which should be right, because why would there be a HEAT difference if I'm going from DDR3-1066 AUTO to DDR3-1600 XMP as I mentioned earlier?

If this is the case, then if I want the lowest heat production/lowest temps, I would be setting it at DDR3-1066, correct? If so, could you provide me those settings instead?

It just seemed strange because we're setting MANUALLY 1.50V, yet the motherboard MAY not use up to 1.50V... which would explain the heat change from DDR3-1066 AUTO to DDR3-1600 XMP...I hope I'm making sense.

My other question refers to the SPEEDSTEP setting -- must I disable this? I wanted to be able to keep my system cool when not in full idle (therefore allowing reduced clock speeds)--do I have to disable this actually?

Thank you again.
                  Last edited by Kabigon; 06-12-2010, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Yes, DDR3-1066 is the lowest heat, but your system is easily capable of more. In fact, the standard is DDR3-1333, so you wouldn't even be running at standard; essentially you are running the computer slower than it needs to be for the heat. If that's what you want, then you can try 5-6-5-18.

SPEEDSTEP should be set to Enabled. Enabled, allows the system to shift voltage and frequency based on your usage (Idle or Working).

Thank you
                    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Yes, DDR3-1066 is the lowest heat, but your system is easily capable of more. In fact, the standard is DDR3-1333, so you wouldn't even be running at standard; essentially you are running the computer slower than it needs to be for the heat. If that's what you want, then you can try 5-6-5-18.

SPEEDSTEP should be set to Enabled. Enabled, allows the system to shift voltage and frequency based on your usage (Idle or Working).

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH
                      Indeed. I would want the lowest heat production right now. Perhaps later, when I add on an aftermarket cooler to my CPU, I wouldn't mind DDR3-1333 or 1600 speeds. So, for DDR3-1066, should I leave mine on AUTO or set it to something like this:

Ai Overclock Tuner - Manual
                      CPU Ratio Setting - 21
                      Intel SpeedStep Tech - Enabled
                      BCLK Frequency - 133
                      DRAM Frequency - DDR3-1066
                      UCLK Frequency - AUTO
                      QPI Link Data Rate - AUTO

DRAM Timing Control
                      CAS Latency - 5
                      tRCD - 6
                      tRP - 5
                      tRAS - 18
                      Command Rate - 2N

DRAM Bus Voltage - 1.50V

I'm guessing this setting would be more appropriate? I really wish we could lower the voltage or see how much DDR3-1066 actually uses, so I know how much heat it would lower or increase by.

Comment

Yes, those settings should work just fine. You would have to use an actual voltage meter for test voltage.

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Yes, those settings should work just fine. You would have to use an actual voltage meter for test voltage.

Thank you
                          GSKILL TECH
                          Hi GSKILL TECH.

I just tried the settings listed above. And surprisingly, my MEMORY tab in CPU-Z showed this:

Which reflects the new 5-6-5-18. However, now my CPU core temps have gone up 3-4 degrees again. Why would this be?

I tried messing around with the DRAM Voltage to be either AUTO or 1.50V while also tried changing the command rate to be either AUTO (which sets it at 1T/1N) or 2N like you stated. This does no change.

When I fully revert EVERYTHING back to AUTO, or the way it was before, my temps go back to normal with no change in them. So I have discovered that my system has two settings:

* When everything is set to AUTO, it becomes DDR3-1066 running automatically at 8-8-8-20, with regular CPU core temps.
                          * When MANUALLY set to DDR3-1066, it runs at 5-6-5-18, but with increased CPU core temps.

Huh? Why would this be? Even setting DRAM Voltage to AUTO with 5-6-5-18 doesn't change anything. The increase in core temps are still there. Only when I set everything back to FULLY auto (all settings AUTO), does this revert back to normal.

Any reason why? How am I able to get true DDR3-1066 speeds with no heat increase?!

Comment

Increase timings, the low timings draws more power/performance. =P

This is what I meant, the few degrees lower isn't worth the performance loss. As long as you are in the 30-40 degree C range idle, your CPU is perfectly fine.

Thank you
                            GSKILL TECH

Comment

Increase timings, the low timings draws more power/performance. =P

This is what I meant, the few degrees lower isn't worth the performance loss. As long as you are in the 30-40 degree C range idle, your CPU is perfectly fine.

Thank you
                              GSKILL TECH
                              My temps are as follows:

With AUTO DDR3-1066 @ 8-8-8-20, my CPU cores idle around 34-37C.
                              With Manual settings DDR3-1066 @ 5-6-5-18 AND DDR3-1600 XMP, my CPU cores idle around 3 degrees more, so around 37-40C.

What do you think? My next step is to OC the CPU with a decent aftermarket cooler and better thermal paste (i.e., Arctic Silver 5.)
                              Last edited by Kabigon; 02-18-2011, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Just go with XMP, that's perfectly fine. Then get a nice CPU cooler and you should be able to do 4.0GHz, DDR3-1600 CL7, and idle at 30 degrees. =)

Thank you
                                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                                X