Cold Boot BSOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Boot BSOD

Alright this problem has finally gotten annoying and it seems like a stumper so far. I recently built a new rig (specs at the end of post) and have been experiencing a weird issue. When i'm here during the week I usually leave my rig on and everything works fine and dandy. However, when I leave for the weekends I generally power the rig off (full shutdown but leave cables plugged in).

The problem comes when I return and start the computer up from cold boot. The OS boots up just fine but in under five minutes I receive a BSOD stating "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area". When I finally get the computer booted up, I generally get another blue screen with the same error. Finally, if I restart the computer a number of times and force through the errors, everything runs just fine until the next cold boot.

I have run Prime95 and Memtest 86+ for a number of hours to check for system stability and everything seems to work out just fine. I have also reformatted twice since the build (to try and rule out the possibility of a virus or software error).

A few side notes:
    - When I first built the system, I powered on for the first time, ran Memtest 86+ and received numerous errors. I flashed and updated the BIOS, loaded optimized defaults, and could then run Memtest 86+ without errors.
    - This memory is not officially supported by EVGA. I also know that my motherboard (the LGA1156 P55) does not support triple channel memory. However, when I run CPU-Z it reports the memory as triple channel.

I am not sure where to start since this problem only seems to occur on cold boots. I'd like to try and snuff out this problem without randomly buying and/or replacing hardware since the rig destroyed my budget to begin with. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

- Charlie
    • Motherboard: EVGA P55 SLI 132-LF-E655-KR LGA1156 Intel P55 ATX (new)
    • CPU: Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Model BX80605I7860 (new)
    • Memory: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ (new)
    • Video Card: EVGA 9800 GT 512MB (from old rig)
    • PSU: PC Power and Cooling S61EPS 610W (from old rig)
    • HDs: 1x Samsung SATA drive, 1x Segate SATA drive (new)

Send them in for new replacements and the new set should work just fine.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

This is the "cold boot" issue that seems to applicable to a lot of GSkill RAM. Search this forum and you'll find numerous accounts similar to yours.

From what I can tell, GSkill support is aware of this issue and the only solution at this time is to RMA your RAM.

I did that yesterday and hope that when I receive my replacements they will work just fine.

Comment

Turns out I did have a bad stick of memory. It is kind of odd that it didn't show up with errors in Memtest 86+ when I had run tests like this previously. Maybe it was defective since the beginning (the errors I got on my first boot over a month ago) but then kind of broke down over time?

Now I just can't decide whether to RMA the entire set or just the defective stick. It would be nice to be able to still use my computer while I wait for the replacement stick. Any opinions?

Comment

Our RMA process is fairly quick, so it won't be too painful. =x

Should only take a week or so. Some people receive them within 3 business days...

Thank you
          GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
          X