No announcement yet.

Asus motherboards + G.Skill memory: Cold boot issues and possible workaround

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A good rule of thumb, when having problems is to take your first 3 base timings, add them together and use that for the 4th setting (used to be the standard for DRAM) i.e. if your sticks are 9-9-9-24 and you have problems you might, might try 9-9-9-27. It's sometimes an easier fix than playing with voltages, advanced timings, etc.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Is there anyway to find out what batch # fixed the issues for G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL Ripjaws PC3-12800 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Core i5?

I am experiencing the same symptoms and my retailer is going to do the RMA but needs a batch #.

Thanks
      MacGrath

Comment

There is no batch number, the issues were simply at random. Simply have them exchanged and the new set should work just fine.

Thank you
        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Thanks G.Skill!

I got both sets of ram back from RMA last week and everything is fine...NO more Cold boot

Running my i5-750 @ 4.1Ghz 9-9-9-24 the ram is at about 195.

Comment

same cold boot issue here. was puling my hair out and just sent MB, CPU, and RAM back to newegg for RMA replacements.

AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz Socket AM3 ADX250OCGQ
            ASUS M4A785T-M/CSM AM3 AMD 785G Motherboard
            G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) F3-10600CL9D-2GBNQ
            Windows 7 Ultimate x64

BIOS settings tried with everything set to auto, then went and changed timing and speed to manual settings. still would get the blue screen on every cold boot startup. sometimes it would be IRQ not less or equal, or memory management, but mostly page fault in non-paged area.

we'll see what the replacement set from newegg does.

Comment

I've also the same issue with an Asus P7P55D-E Pro and G.Skill 10666 CL7 Eco memory.
              So to 'fix' this issue for a while, I remove or move the sticks and restart the PC and most of the time it is OK.
              So I let my computer in stand-by mode when I leave Win 7... everything is ok till I switch off my PC, then when I restart it this issue comes back again...

I'm waiting for a new set of memory...

Comment

I have the same issues with an Asus M4A785TD-V EVO and 1 set of Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL ram. The only reason why I am able to post this is because I fixed my system today and have not rebooted it. Which I will not reboot till I get an answer on my RMA request. So basically this system will stay online to my RMA request is authorized.

I have done stability checks with memtest and Prime 95. They check out as long as I don't reboot. If I reboot memtest throws mass amounts of errors and I Bsod trying to get into windows. I can usually stay in windows for about 5-10 minutes then every program crashes and when I try to go back into the programs I get greeted with the BSODS.

Partial system specs (only ones that matter at this point in time.)

Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
                AMD Phenom II X2 555 Callisto unlocked as a triple core. (It's stable under prime 95.) Quad core won't even let windows work right.

1 set of F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL ram which is 2X 2GB sticks working in Dual channel mode.

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

I have already requested an RMA I'm just waiting on a reply.

Now my questions is, Do I send back both sticks or just 1? I went a head and put the full kit down under RMA request. I'm just hoping I don't get another 2 sticks that don't work 100% correctly.

I also used all the timings that G.Skill listed on the label.

Comment

Send back the entire kit, the new replacement should work just fine.

Thank you for your cooperation

GSKILL TECH

Comment

This is the first time I build a pc from scratch on my own and I have this cold boot issue which is very frustrating cause its hard to figure out at first why sometimes it works perfect and how only when you leave the PC off for a few hours the error comes back.

My ASUS motherboard model is P7H57D-V EVO and apparently its not on the GSkill list of models that the sticks are assured to have full compatibility so I guess I don't have much choice but to RMA with newEgg my 4 DDR3s and change them for another brand. Does anybody know which brand and model would be similar and won't present this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally I think it would be good if GSkill would add to the forum DDR 3 > BIOS Configuration Guide an entry for the P7H57D-V EVO in case its supposed to work with that mobo.

Comment

Thank god!

I've been killing myself over the last few weeks trying to troubleshoot my stability issues and random BSODs. Just posted my issue in the forums when I found this thread. Describes my issues exactly. I suspected the cold boot issue, but dismissed it as a coincidence. System specs as follows.

Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5 AM3 (bios v2)
                      AMD Phenom II x4 955 3.2
                      8 GB (2x4) GSKILL PC3 12800 (F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ) set at 9,9,9,24, 1.5v; 1600
                      BFG 275 GTX
                      WD 640GB sata 3
                      Thermaltake 750w psu
                      Hauppauge 1850 tv-tuner
                      Win7 64bit

My thread:

http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?p=20497#post20497

Thanks to all that put in the effort to build this thread!

GSkill, what next?
                      Last edited by DyJoh; 04-28-2010, 01:29 PM.

Comment

sjuarez,

They are compatible, you simply have to enable the XMP Profile under "AI Overclock Tuner". We work closely with ASUS, so essentially all DDR3 modules will work with the XMP Profile.

In addition, if you are looking to use 4 modules, we recommend purchasing a 4 module tested kit, otherwise two different kits may not operate properly together. Should this happen, an RMA would generally solve the problem.

DyJoh and sjuarez,

Both of you are running 8GB, so you need to understand that it is not guaranteed to work, but we can always try. When running four modules, you will also need to increase the memory controller voltage as it can be overloaded with full slots. For the ASUS motherboard, it is known as IMC Voltage. On the Gigabyte motherboard, it is known as NB Voltage. Simply raise these values by +0.2V and it should provide much more stability.

If it is indeed a cold boot issue, simply send them in for new replacements and the new sets should work fine.

Thank you
                        GSKILL TECH

Comment

Worth a shot

Thanks, I'll give the NB Voltage a try tongiht. I have submitted my RMA request. Is it possible to request a matched 4 set to replace the 2 matched sets I am currently running? Figure I should eliminate as many variables as possible. If so, how should I request the four matched set in the RMA process?

Comment

Thanks for the hlep GSKill Tech, I'll give those settings a try and reply on how it goes over the couple next days (since I have to wait around 8 hours for the problem to show).

Comment

DyJoh,

Request to have them tested and hopefully that will eliminate any possible issues.

Thank you
                              GSKILL TECH

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                                Send back the entire kit, the new replacement should work just fine.

Thank you for your cooperation

GSKILL TECH
                                Ok thank you. I got the RMA number Monday and I'm now going to the post office now. Thanks .

Comment

Working...
                                X