Which ram to match with F3-10666CL7T-3GBPK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which ram to match with F3-10666CL7T-3GBPK

I have the G.SKILL F3-10666CL7T-3GBPK and want to add more RAM, but this version is no longer available. I have an i7 920 on an Asus P6T motherboard. I need another tri-channel DDR3 set to add to what I have, but this particular model is no longer available. I know they have the 6GB version, but it's $150! I don't know what happened, but the price seemed to double since the ram debuted earlier in the year... Why did the prices RISE and not fall?

What would pair well with what I already have? I bought the F3-10666CL7T-3GBPK because of the low latency; most everything else has slower timings.

Help!

Thank you in advance!

Depends if you want to add 6GB or another 3, 6 will prob run about $150 regardless, unless you go to a slower speed, if your thinking of adding 3 I'd go with the F3-12800CL9T-3GBNQ, which you can find at the EGG, below, for $80

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231224

it's a 1600 set at CL9, but you should be able to run it at CL7 with your sticks at 1333, or prob at worse maybe 8-7-7-21 or so

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Well at first I was thinking I'd just get 3GB more, but dunno if it makes more sense to just go for 6GB for a total of 9GB. Not sure if it'd really make a difference?

Thank you for the response, I'll look into the F3-12800CL9T-3GBNQ. If I got that, would it make more sense to OC the F3-10666CL7T-3GBPK to a higher speed with slower timings, or under clock the F3-12800CL9T-3GBNQ with faster timings?

Comment

What about going with the new Tridents F3-15000CL9T-3GBTD instead of the F3-12800CL9T-3GBNQ since they are the same price?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231267

6GB is probably plenty?

Comment

With the sticks you have OCing won't be easy, except maybe a little i.e. you probably won't get much more than maybe 1400.

Dropping the the 1600s to 1333 at CL7 may well give equal or greater performance than the 1600s at stock with CL9 due to the lower (CL7) latency.

The Tridents would be a good buy and if downclocked could prob go CL6 (and maybe pull your current 1333s to a loose CL6 also i.e. 6-7-7-20 or 21.

AS to is 6GB enough, alot depends on what you do and your personal requirements. Six will suffice for most users short of those doing heavy video/graphics work, simulation, large (very large) db/spreadsheets, CAD, etc. (If you can go 9 though, comfortably, I'd go at least 1600 or faster, which you can always use later in a newer build (not to mention it never hurts having an extra stick or two 'available' if one goes bad or a friend needs one)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for your extremely fast reply!

I think I'll go with the Tridents. Then if memory prices ever fall I can pick up a 3x2GB kit of the Tridents if I feel I need more RAM.

Thanks again!

Comment

Sounds like a winner, if any problems, give a shout.

Tman

Comment

Working...
              X