Motherboard decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motherboard decision

I have 4 x 2GB F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH ripjaws coming in, and am looking to choose a mobo with the best chance of having it all work smoothly.

It is currently a choice between Asus and Gigabyte boards. I am keen to get one with PCIe x4 slot and USB 3 support, which points me towards the fairly new GA-P55A UD5.

This board has not been verified for operation with these DIMMs at this time. What are my chances of this combination just working?

Am I better off with Asus or Gigabyte for overall compatibility? I have used a lot of Asus in the past, and have had problems on occasion with non qualified RAM.

Any help would be appreciated.

we thought it should be 2 sets of F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH
    and while running with 4 sticks, the loading of memory controller is much heavier than running only with 2
    so, we do not guarantee they could run together at our rated speed
    and as for your case, we're not sure how many PCIe clot you totally need
    if 2 PCIe slots are acceptable, both ASUS and Gigabyte could meet your need
    thanks

G.S

Comment

Thankyou for your assistance.

Sorry, to clarify yes it is two sets of F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH ripjaws totalling 8GB.

In terms of PCIe slots, it is not four of them, but a single four lane slot for Raid cards etc.
      So far this is not available on the new Asus boards with USB 3.

Have either manufaturer tended to produce "more compatible" boards, or is it a case of try it and hope it works.

How long does G.Skill usually take to certify RAM in new release motherboards?

Thanks,

Dan.

Comment

Have you chosen a CPU yet? Also do you plan on OCing, and have you selected graphics card(s) and if so what flavor, ATI or nVidia. Any idea how many drives (and/or SSDs), and lastly PSU type/size.

Sorry, all factors will play in.

Tman

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I have not purchased a CPU yet, but figure the i7 860 to be my best bet.
          I plan on overclocking, but not in the extreme. Maybe to 3.8 or 4GHZ with minimal CPU voltage increase.

I already have a Nvidia Geforce 9800GTX that I plan to keep using.

I will be running a hybrid drive system with 2 Current gen SSDs for system and games in a raid 0, and standard HDDs for large slower storage. I already have an Adaptec 3405 raid card with BBC that I will see how it stacks up against ICH10R / the Marvell 6Gbs solution. (Still unable to verify if it comes with a raid mode on Gigabyte or Asus boards. Manuals don't explicity say.)

PSU was not planning to replace unless neccessary. It is a Corsair HX620

Regards,

Dan.

Comment

there are still few SATA 6Gbs and USB 3.0 motherboards, so it seems you don't have better choice than Gigabyte P55A UD5
            you may wait for more such motherboards released or purchase this motherboard first
            thanks

G.S

Comment

Actually don't think the UD5 supports USB 3 at present, the UD4p and UD6 both do. Of the two I've used the UD4P in a build and had no problems. Haven't touched a UD6 yet.

Just pulled up the UD5 spec sheet and it has nothing on USB 3 either

http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Products...ProductID=3160

The board supports SLI if you head that way (also Cross-fire) and PSU should be fine (mind want to consider an upgrade if you do go SLI/Crossfire).

Sounds like it will be a nice box, if you run into any problems, let us know

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Hmm odd. the link you sent me was for the old gen board, and the new one does not appear on the US site. Odd, it has the new gen UD6 one.

The board available in Australia is
                http://www.giga-byte.com.au/Products...ProductID=3237

Think I am just going to have to try it and see how it goes...

Comment

there are 2 different UD5 motherboards, one is P55 UD5, which doesn't support SATA 6Gbs and USB 3.0, and the other P55A UD5, which supports SATA 6Gbs and USB 3.0
                  that's why you guys get confused

G.S

Comment

Just a FYI

I ended up going with a GA-P55A-UD5

Works brilliantly with 8GB of F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH Ripjaws.

Comment

Working...
                    X