Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BSOD: Is F3-12800CL6T-6GBTD the problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSOD: Is F3-12800CL6T-6GBTD the problem?

Model of the motherboard:
    ASUS P6T SE

Model of the memory:
    G.SKILL Trident 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL6T-6GBTD

Model of the CPU:
    i7 920

Once a night I'm experiencing a BSOD of as a result of "Memory Management", and then it says it is dumping all of the memory and then the computer resets itself. Then it normally restarts and only 4GB of my 6GB shows up. I have no idea why it is happening. (I can normally open up my computer and reinstall the RAM and it shows up)

After my last BSOD last night, I googled suggested settings for my RAM in the BIOS and changed everything in the BIOS from AUTO to those settings. I'm hopeful this will solve the issues. Before and after I changed the settings, Memcheck ran (with 6 passes) with no errors and the windows diagnostic tool didn't show any errors either.

Questions:
    - Could the AUTO settings on the voltage cause such a disruption?
    - Are there any compatibility issues with my motherboard and RAM?
    - Is it possible to have a bad stick of RAM with all of the diagnostic tools showing no errors?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Yes, Yes and Yes. Best bet is to set the timings manually to the suggested stock timings, set command rate at 2N or 2T depending on how they have it, and set the DRAM voltage to the recommened max (can always lower it once stable to whatever (as long you maintain stability). ONly other settings you might have to play with are tRFC and possibly tRC.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thank you very much for the response. So far, I haven't had any trouble tonight (which is an improvement) so I know I'm improved something. Plus, I figured out how to finally read a BSOD error report. (just moved from mac) Looks like ntoskrnl.exe was causing the issue. Still trying to figure out what that means but I'm becoming more confident it isn't a bad RAM stick or MOBO....I think.

Comment

The file might be corrupt, you can repair it by using your OS CD or if someone you know is running the same sytem OS, copy th efile to disk/CD and overwrite the corrupt one.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Oh really? I guess my ignorance is showing through. I didn't realize you could do that. I have the Windows 7 Ultimate disk so I'll try that tonight.

The new voltages seem to be working well. I guess I'm surprised that switching from the AUTO to the suggested settings made that much of a difference in stability (so far at least). Always thought AUTO was pretty reliable, but lesson learned.

Comment

That's just one of the reasons you see BIOS upgrades rising rapidly and the multitude of RAM speeds and settings that are available.....(will wear you out trying to keep up with it all). AND....don't claim ignorance, when it comes to anyone willing to work with your timings and voltages, you definitely aren't ignorant, like with Win7..UPGRADE yourself to VERY SMART.......

The mobo makers are constantly working on the BIOS and the RAM manufacturers are constantly coming out with new models at different speed and settings, trying to accomodate the multitude of mobos (and especially the different chipsets and sockets and CPUs (AMD and Intel)........should I go on?

Anyway, I digress, meant to say let us know how it goes, if further adjustments are needed ...I..we...somebody will be there...............I'll be in and out all weekend.

Tman
            Last edited by Tradesman; 11-21-2009, 12:07 PM.

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement TMan and you are right. Tonight I was explaining to my wife what I was trying to do and she was clueless, though she is pretty techie. Guess I have picked up more than I realized. Still figuring out the terminology and exactly what-does-what.

As far as my RAM, I've had no BSOD since I've made my changes. (once a night before)

I found an excellent overclocking guide. Based on these settings, I'm actually underclocking my RAM (figured that is really stable right?), but get the speed boost from the overclocked CPU. With the right timings - 6-7-6-18 (2N), it has been extremely stable. (I also set the DRAM voltage to 1.6) Guess the AUTO was really messing me up. Haven't had a chance to replace that file though, and I'm going to wait until the next BSOD of death (to see if it is the same error) before I try.

Again, really appreciate your help and encouragement TMan. Hopefully someone else who needs this information will find it.

If you are wondering, I have my i7 920 up to 3.32MHz with a 39C-40C idle and a 70C max. Just enough overclock for my tastes.

Comment

Settings should look like this:

Ai Overclock Tuner - Manual
                CPU Ratio Setting - 20
                Intel SpeedStep Tech - Disabled
                BCLK Frequency - 143
                DRAM Frequency - DDR3-2002
                UCLK Frequency - 4004MHz
                QPI Link Data Rate - AUTO

DRAM Timing Control
                CAS Latency - 6
                tRCD - 7
                tRP - 6
                tRAS - 18
                Command Rate - 2N

CPU Voltage - 1.30V
                CPU PLL Voltage - 1.90V

DRAM Bus Voltage - 1.66V

Load Line Calibration - Disabled

Let me know how that goes.

Thank you
                GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Thank you for those settings. I couldn't get them to work though. The computer would start, hard drive would start (could hear it), but it could never get that nice little beep.

Here are my tests:

Test 1: Settings from above
                  I couldn't get mine to match yours exactly (no idea why I couldn't), but the only settings different were:
                  DRAM Frequency - DDR3-2006
                  UCLK Frequency - 4014MHz
                  Test 1 Result: Failed overclock

Test 2:
                  BCLK Frequency - 160
                  DRAM Frequency - DDR3-1925
                  UCLK Frequency - 4010MHz
                  Test 2 Result: Failed overclock

Test 3:
                  BCLK Frequency - 160
                  DRAM Frequency - DDR3-1604
                  UCLK Frequency - 3688MHz
                  Test 3 Result: BOOTED normally

Test 4:
                  BCLK Frequency - 166
                  DRAM Frequency - DDR3-1997
                  UCLK Frequency - 3994MHz
                  Test 4 Result: failed overclock

Test 5:
                  BCLK Frequency - 166
                  DRAM Frequency - DDR3-1664
                  UCLK Frequency - 3661MHz
                  Test 5 Result: failed overclock

Test 6:
                  BCLK Frequency - 160
                  DRAM Frequency - DDR3-1604
                  UCLK Frequency - 3688MHz
                  DRAM Bus Voltage - 1.64V
                  Test 6 Result: BOOTED as normal

To me, I interrupt that to mean I couldn't get my RAM to boot as DDR3-2000. AND with test 6 (what I'm running right now), it's running pretty hot. 47C idle, while it was 39C-40C idle before. Any ideas? (about to run a Real Temp Sensor test which should give me more info on temp.)

Comment

Well if the settings were rather stable at 6-7-6-18 w/ 2N then you always have a fallback point and can further experiment......just keep track of what changes you make. To raise the speed you might try playing w/ the voltages a little.....and if you get a moment, what's your tRFC and tRC at? Might be able to adjust them a little for stability at higher speeds.

Tman

Comment

Yeah, I've seen some other places suggest tweaking tRC, but I can't find in the BIOS where to change them. It is set to AUTO, wherever it is.

CPU-Z is reporting this:

JEDEC #4: tRC - 30
                      JEDEC #5: tRC - 34
                      JEDEC #6: tRC - 38
                      XMP-1600: tRC - 34

Not sure what that means, but there it is. The tRFC is set to AUTO also. It's default is 88.

Didn't see any GSkill recommended for those, so I just left it alone.

That last test I did (my last post) booted but my computer froze on Test 2 in the Sensor Test (using Prime95) in RealTemp. So I got a new baseline after that.

For kicks and giggles, here they are:

Ai Overclock Tuner - Manual
                      CPU Ratio Setting - AUTO
                      Intel SpeedStep Tech - Enabled
                      Intel Turbo - Enabled
                      BCLK Frequency - 133
                      DRAM Frequency - DDR3-1600
                      UCLK Frequency - 3200MHz
                      QPI Link Data Rate - AUTO

DRAM Timing Control
                      CAS Latency - 6
                      tRCD - 7
                      tRP - 6
                      tRAS - 18
                      tRFC - Auto (default is 88)
                      Command Rate - 2N

CPU Voltage - 1.11875V
                      CPU PLL Voltage - AUTO

DRAM Bus Voltage - 1.64V

Load Line Calibration - Disabled

This seemed relatively stable (made it through the Sensor Test - 10 min) and kept my temps low. Will do Prime95 later.

Max: 64C
                      Min: 43C

And even gave me a gentle overclock at 2.8.
                      Last edited by crs0328; 11-21-2009, 12:34 PM. Reason: Clarity

Comment

Keep us posted on how it goes

Tman

Comment

Update:

My computer is more stable than ever. Seems like getting the DRAM and UCLK exactly as spec'd (not just auto) made a world of difference. I ran Prime95 for over 10 hours and had no errors. Definitely stable enough for me. (my complete settings are in my last post)

Really appreciate the help Tman. I thought I was going to have to RMA my RAM or mobo and very thankful I don't have to do that. Thanks again!

Comment

Glad I could help, with the proliferation of chipsets and mobos these days, it's best to set stuff up manually, hope all goes well, if you get to OCing it any let us know the 920 is a good CPU and you have a good mobo, so it should be fairly easy to kick it up a notch or two (or three, or....)

Tman

Comment

Working...
                            X