X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH (7-7-7-24) on Asus M4A785TD-V Evo

Hi G.Skill people,

Some good news and a bit of bad news.

I've got some of your memory, F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH, stickered with 7-7-7-24, running in dual-channel configuration (one stick in the first channel a slot, the other stick in the first channel b slot) on a Asus M4A785TD-V Evo motherboard with a AMD Phenom II x4 965 processor.

Unsurprisingly the SPD isn't detected correctly for the memory, however by manually setting the DRAM clock to 800 MHz and leaving everything else on AUTO results in a fully operational memory subsystem at 1600 MHz at stock voltages. The main problem here is that the memory timings are ultra-slack, goodness knows what filth it is actually picking up from the SPD. However, I can set the timings in the bios by hand, but the lowest I can get down to and have the system post is 8-7-7-24, which is very acceptable (Voltage is also at the specified 1.65v, more because the sticker said so rather than actually needing to change it to post the system).

I would like to be able to run at 7-7-7-24 but it is no big deal if I can't, I don't believe it is voltage related as I have played around a bit. Although there are quite a few choices to be made in the bios regarding memory the Command Rate choice is missing - meaning no matter what I do the timing is stuck at 1T and that is the most likely culprit, I have emailed Asus tech support already asking them to bring out a fix for this.

Now seeing that AUTO was resulting in a lot of slack settings, I was wondering if you could fill in the list with the *actual* values this memory should run at (bracket values are what it is currently set to).

TCL (7)
    TRCD (7)
    TRP (7)
    tRTP (6)
    TRAS (24)
    TRC (34)
    tWR (10)
    TRRD (6)
    tRWTTO (AUTO)
    tWRRD (AUTO)
    tWTR (6)
    tWRWR (AUTO)
    tRDRD (AUTO)
    tRFC0 (AUTO)
    tRFC1 (AUTO)
    tRFC2 (AUTO)
    tRFC2 (AUTO)
    tRFC3 (AUTO)

Also for your reference is a link to a screen shot of the AMD overclock tool.
    http://cid-fdac918abef4aa7f.skydrive...speeds/amd.jpg

Also note I'm running at 3.6 GHz instead of the stock 3.4 GHz but the memory testing was performed outside of that (as a note I can get windows to boot up at 4 GHz before it dies, hopefully I can it to run stable at 3.9 just through the clock multiplier and some voltage settings!).

Urmm slight type, TCL is currently set to 8 and not 7, which is what I would actually like it to be :O

Comment

If your at 3.6 now, might try testing at 3.6 and set timings to stock, 7-7-7-24 (maybe even 7-7-7-21), the 1600 RAM speed is identified as an OC speed which is generally indicative of RAM the will require a sligh OC or a little extra juice (voltage) to the CPU and hence the MC.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

It is a BIOS limitation, you will only be able to use 8-7-7-24 until they release a new BIOS to unlock that CL7 for DDR3-1600. Sounds like you got the computer working at max speed though. =) Enjoy.

Thank you
        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Thanks for the comments - it is now running at 8-7-7-21 with a Command Rate of 1T. Is 21 actually any quicker than 24?

Just to reiterate to anyone that is interested, with this motherboard/memory/cpu combo I've attained 8-7-7-21 on stock voltages, with only having to manually set the bios for memory speed at 800 MHz, and the aforementioned timings (TCL=8, TRCD=7, TRP=7, TRAS=21, TRC=34).

If they do bring out a bios which enables CL7 I'll check it out and report back

Comment

21 is better than 24, the lower the numbers the tighter the timings, you might even be able to hit 7-7-7-21 by adding a bit of juice, maybe 1-2 tenths of a volt or upping your tRFC a step or two.........and the 1T Command Rate is excellent

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X