Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with RAM on ASUS Rampage III Formula (2020)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with RAM on ASUS Rampage III Formula (2020)

Hello all!

To make a pretty long story short. I have a much much older ASUS Rampage III Formula with a Intel Core i7 950. My system ran beautifully until not too long ago a couple of my ram sticks started acting up causing a triple beep on post leaving me with only 4 gigs of ram to run on. I ended up buying some DDR3 ram that matched all requirements from my manual that didn't end up working, booting with no post, even once I fully updated my bios and everything, and I had to return, luckily managed to get a refund.

Now on my second time around I've been doing extensive research trying extra extra hard to make sure the next set of memory I get work.

The next set of sticks I'm really keen on which my local PC hardware store have are these
    G.Skill 8GB (2x4G) F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL 1333Mhz RL RipjawsX.

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/...0666cl9d-8gbxl (purchase link for more detailed information)

pcpartpicker and pcspecs say they are compatible but I don't know how reliable that information is and I simply don't know enough to be certain. And I really want to make sure as they are difficult to return if at all. I can't really afford not to either (times are tough).

I've come across a lot of similar g skill sticks with slight variations in the model for example gbrl instead of gbxl. Upon research couldn't find much info on difference other then just a difference in the head spreader as well as the RL versions apparently being better for older mobos like mine over the XL but I'm not 100% certain on that info, otherwise these sticks look very promising.

I've been stuck with my 4 gigs of ram for a very very long time. I would incredibly appreciate any information that anyone could help me with regarding my motherboard and memory in trying to help me pick out memory that is compatible. I've done a tonne of troubleshooting, research and checked the qualified vendor list and everything that you might think of but seeing as how its almost 10 years old those sticks no longer exist or are very hard to find.

In any case I would appreciate any information at all, doing it real hard with only 4 gigs of ram and not enough money to get a new system aha.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. <3
    Last edited by Vellaura; 12-09-2020, 09:04 PM.

4GB modules may be difficult to find, 8GB is not officially supported but they should work:

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=gskill...99%20600551103

Two kits for 32GB to run in triple channel, or three individual modules:

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=gskill...12%20601275375

Comment

Thank you for the reply! Yeah the 8 gig modules are a bit risky but I'm going to go for the 2x 4 gig sticks that I linked, the G.Skill F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL (2x4GB) 1333MHz DDR3. My local pc stores have them in stock, I just wanted to make sure they would be compatible before I went out and bought them as they can be hard to return if they are not.

Thank you again and I await your reply!

Comment

They may not work well, that's the concern, it can vary with batch and it's difficult to know what the local PC store has in hand.

Comment

Hmmm. I'm not sure I understand, different batches work differently? I've seen some reviews on neweggs for a intel x58 asus extreme 2 saying its working as well as even a older lga 775 model saying its compatible as well so I'm a little convinced aha.

Comment

Correct, especially over time chips and boards get updated so these changes can affect marching and compatibility. Since we have not tested them together, we are unable to guarantee results, so it is up to the user to test separate kits to see what they can do, even of the same exact model.

Comment

I see, well I've seen older lga 775 boards and even the asus rampage II extreme on newegg reviews stating those exact sticks work so I don't see why it wouldn't work on mine.

Thank you.

Comment

Okay so I bought the sticks, put them and in it posted and is currently working! Thanks again for your replies, I'm going to leave this here in case anyone has to go through the same ordeal.

Thanks again! Can confirm the sticks work!

Comment

Working...
                X