Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which of these DDR3 kits are compatible with my rig?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which of these DDR3 kits are compatible with my rig?

Hello good people!
    I`m a newbie here, and would greatly appreciate if you would share your wisdom with me.
    I`m planning to upgrade my old build with 2x4GB DDR3 kit, but not sure if the ones I have my eyes on are compatible with it.

My build:
    M4A88TD-M EVO
    Phenom II X2 555 (+2 cores unlocked goes up to 3.8-3.9Ghz)

I know these kits are a bit overkill and won`t reach their full potential, but I`m planning to run them with timings tight as possible.
    I just want to know if any of these would work in harmony with the other parts?
    Kits:
    F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
    F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL
    F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL
    F3-2400C11D-8GAB

Thanks

DDR3-1866 and AM3 is already pushing it. Many CPU & MB combos will barely do DDR3-1800 max. So the F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL are probably the safest bet in that regard, they might even have had your motherboard on their QVL back in the days.

When it comes to overclocking, some of the higher specced kits might have better binned chips or IC types, but I am not sure if there is still a lot left to chose from for current stock. My F3-2400C11D-8GAB were all single rank Hynix 4Gbit based, decent for high frequency not exactly optimal for tight timings. You'd want a decent Samsung 2Gbit D-Die based kit for that instead like the famous Trident X F4-2400C9D-8GTXD, they should do 1600 6-7-7 with most subs at their minimum values and only 1.65V (or less).

Edit: I usually did not test frequencies this low but found a screenshot for 1600 6-7-7 in one of my Haswell based Reviews:

Click image for larger version  Name:	GSK2400C9D8GTXD_1600c6.png Views:	0 Size:	134.5 KB ID:	165170
    Last edited by emissary42; 08-27-2020, 11:03 PM.
    Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Thank you for the input.
      I don`t think I can get my hands on the Trident X F3-2400C9D-8GTXD, but those timings seem really good. Do you think the F3-2400C11D-8GAB couldn`t do something similar?
      I assume I could get better timings on lower frequency with the F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL or F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL than the F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL, or am I mistaken?

Comment

What to expect is hard to say, since it depends on the IC type you will get on your kit.

For a Hynix 4Gbit BFR/MFR based kits I would say 1600 7-8-8 / 7-9-8 might be realistic at 1.65V, with a tRFC of 160. You would however lose some performance because of the 4GB modules being single rank. So 2x8GB might actually be the better option, then. For example both F3-2400C11D-16GAB and F3-2400C11D-16GXM are still available and relatively affordable, here in Europe at least.

Comment

Unfortunately my mobo doesn`t support 8GB modules

Comment

Speaking from my own experience with a Gigabyte 880GMA-UD2H, there is no such limitation on either the platform or the chipset side. And to add to that, 8GB dual rank modules and 4GB single rank modules do have the same density. So if the density of 8GB modules is too high, that would be the same for single rank 4GB modules. You would then need dual rank 4GB modules, which require being built from 2Gbit ICs and I am not sure if there is any stock left of those... because these have been out of production for years by now.

If you want to make sure, check back with the ASUS support about it or if there is an updated QVL available. The motherboard specifications on the product pages usually do not get updated, even when higher density ICs become available, so they often contain false/outdated information.

Comment

Thanks, I`ll check it out.

Comment

hey there, nice to see that some still is on the am3

i cant say much about low timigs but bit about compatibility, i have f3-2400c10d-8gtx (4x4Gb), useing on asus crosshair v formula with phenom 955 BE in past and now on fx-8350, this kit is not on my QVL however working fine at 1926 9-10-10-29
                basically i'd be calm about G.Skill and bought some 1600 cl7, these ones u posted are rly overkill, good luck

PS. U could get more out of that mobo, get deneb

Ps2. https://www.gskill.us/forum/forum/pr...ler-limitation

-Dave

Comment

Thanks for the advice Dave, I`ve been looking into it, but the used X4 980 and X6 1090T/1100T are going for ridiculous prices here in the UK, don`t know what people think... Anyway I`ll keep looking.

Comment

Originally posted by _Dave View Post
                    hey there, nice to see that some still is on the am3
                    My dad in his 80's uses AM3 for web surfing. Taking electricity bills into consideration it is nonsense.

I refreshed my 2009 rig few weeks ago with Penom II x2 555 as my nephew wanted to play older titles. It's been a dust collector for few years. Everything looks like working fine despite its age.

Phenom II x2 555@ x4 B55 3,7Ghz 1,45v or 3,2Ghz 1,25v
                    M4A79XTD
                    4x2GB G.Skill Eco PC12800 CL7. Work as promised by G.Skill.(CPUNB: 2400MHZ 1,25v)
                    GTX 1060 3GB
                    BQ E7 CM 480W

I can't force my motherboard to lower the vdimm to 1,35v. It gives 1,5v minimum. Any ideas? I dont remember if it was as it is

emissary42
                    Do you really think it is possible to pair AM3 platform with 2x8GB and it will work? Is it worth to look for 4x4 or 2x8 for this rig? For games which Phenom can handle.

Comment

Motherboard can not support 1.35V so you may as well OC to take advantage of more Voltage

Comment

Originally posted by digi85 View Post
                        I can't force my motherboard to lower the vdimm to 1,35v. It gives 1,5v minimum. Any ideas?
                        A lot of older motherboards were not able to lower Vdimm, just increase it. Support for 1.35V and lower voltages improved, after DDR3L (PC3L) modules became more mainstream.

Do you really think it is possible to pair AM3 platform with 2x8GB and it will work?
                        I have not tested it with your components myself, but you should be able to find user feedback somewhere around the web.

Is it worth to look for 4x4 or 2x8 for this rig?
                        Sentimental reasons aside, I personally would not sink any money in a rig that old.

Comment

I checked my dad's mobo. It's M4A785TDV bought in september 2009 and it looks like it is possible to set the voltage lower than M4A79XTD (REV 1.01G). Weird. In the meantime I got for free Phenom II x4 955. IPC is better than B55. 3.9Ghz at 1,43v.

Comment

Working...
                          X