New to Memory Settings (790i)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Memory Settings (790i)

I just purchased F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ my my 790i Ultra ('bout a year old). I scanned but could not find the exact answer. I assume when the memory arrives, it will default to 1333 with everything set to auto. (Is that true?) What needs to be changed to set the memories speed to 1600? I am new to this and would prefer not to screw something up. Help is greatly appreciated...

Also, any suggestions on what to use to test and verify the memory once running?

Thanks.

Depends, do you have the ASUS 790i Ultra or the XFX 790i Ultra, the EVGA Ultra or..or..or..

The default will depend on the mobo you have..and...the Bios version.

Best bet is to upgrade BIOS to current version ahead of time, then when you get the RAM install it and set the base timings manually 9-9-9-24, Speed to 1600, Command Rate to 2T, and start your RAM voltage out at 1.8 (when all is stable you can desrease it slowly while maintaining stability

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

If this helps...

It is EVGA. I'll have to look at the BIOS version (but I'd like to not touch that since I have my RAID1 up and running just fine for a while. I'm sure I'd mess that up somehow.)

Any more details on the recommendation based on it being EVGA?

I'm correct on the 1333 being the default, if nothing is changed, right?

Thx.

Comment

By 'touch', I meant 'upgrade', not change settings.

Comment

That is correct, that motherboard max default should be DDR3-1333. As a result, you will need to manually change memory frequency to DDR3-1333. Make sure memory timings are manually set to tCL 9 - tRCD 9 - tRP 9 - tRAS 24 - Command Rate 2. Memory Voltage should also be set to 1.70V. Save and exit, everything should be running smoothly then.

Thank you
          GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Another question... (newbie related, sorry)
            The spec on the memory says between 1.5v and 1.6v - just confirmign that 1.7v is what I want.

You stated that I should upgrade my EVGA BIOS for the 790i. Are you aware of any issues, memory related. Online forums are killing the P08 release for the BIOS...

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

On your sticks 1.5 - 1.6 is the rating for the individual sticks, 1.7-1.8 is normally for 3-4 sticks. So if you start at 1.7 it will increase the chance of initial stability (and is safe). Once stable, you can either try reducing the voltage bit by bit while keeping stable if you wish...or...you can stay at 1.7 which will make it easier if you decide to play w/ OCing

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I'm not sure of exact issues, but the latest BIOS is typically the better one since they are updates of older versions. Memory Voltage should be fine at 1.60V, but if you have instability, try 1.70V.

Thank you
                GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

thanks. Appreciate the help. I initially set this up for 9-9-9-24-t2 and 1.70v and seemed to run fine. For those with EVGA 790i (if there are any), you'll need the change the FSB-Mem link option from 'auto' to 'unlink' if you want fsb at 1333 and memory at 1600. if you want both at 1600, you'll can keep it 'linked' but may have to overclock CPU depending...

Thanks for the help.

I ran the memtest86+. Are there any other memory tests you'd recommend?

Comment

You can always use Prime95 for long term stability or Everest to see exact benchmark numbers of how fast the memory is operating. This helps when overclocking and tuning timings so you know if it is actually faster rather than guessing with the naked eye.

Thank you
                    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
                    X