Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POST Memory Check Freezes

Hi Guys,

I've recently bought two sets of 2x4GB RAM on Newegg. The first set I bought I used Newegg's Memory Finder to find compatible RAM. My motherboard is an MSI H55M-E33, for which Newegg told me to buy G.Skill Ares F3-1600C9D-8GAB.

This RAM did not work in my PC, so I filled out an RMA and ordered G.Skill memory that both the G.Skill website and MSI website show as compatible, G.Skill Ripjaws F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL. I received this RAM before sending the others back, and I get the same results! So now I'm holding on to both, trying to figure out if I need to return both, or just one of them and get them to work with my PC.

So, as for my PC configuration:
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
    System Manufacturer: MSI
    System Model: MS-7636
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
    Memory: 2048MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 1976MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11

I am currently using one stick of Corsair CMXG46X3M2A1600C9. The second burnt out, which is why I'm replacing it. It works flawlessly in all 4 Dimm slots.

The following issues occur for both my sets of G.Skill memory in any single or pair of dimm locations:

When I plug in two sticks of RAM, the system freezes on POST, just after I see "Initializing USB Controllers ... Done". If I only have one of any of these stick in, I can get into BIOS. If I don't, "Starting Windows" will show for a moment, and then I ALWAYS get a BSOD. If I open BIOS, it shows the correct memory inserted, and automatically sets the correct timings.

So, I also tried running with these RAM after disabling "Quick Booting" in BIOS. Now I can see a Memory Check being performed during POST. With one stick, the memory counts up to 954 MB OK and freezes. Note that each stick is 4 GB. With 2 sticks in the computer, this checker counts up to 3004 MB OK, and freezes.

When I put Corsair in, no problems! I then have to restore Windows because the crashing during start-up does not make for a healthy OS.

I know a local PC Tech who has been fixing PCS for decades. This has him stumped, and he suggests buying a new motherboard. I think my cheaper option is to go with Corsair. Hope you guys can help! Let me know if you need more info!

Thanks a bunch,
    - tjlarch

Do you have the latest BIOS?

An update may be necessary to support the newer type DDR3 RAM.

If you can, post some pictures of BIOS and we can see if anything is incorrect.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
    X