Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 + RipjawsZ 2400MHz Maximum Overclock 2600MHz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 + RipjawsZ 2400MHz Maximum Overclock 2600MHz?

Hi:

I was wondering if anyone has had experience overclocking these sticks:
    F3-2400C10D-8GZH
    on the AM3+ platform?

They run well at 2400MHz at 9-12-11-31-40 timings at 1.685V
    I've easily got them to 2538MHz at 10-12-12-31-40 timings at 1.690V
    But my next safe step (CPU, HTT and NB remaining equal or slightly slower) would be to to bring them to 2592MHz on a Base Clock of 216MHz to synchronize the timings.
    My system doesn't seem to like the Northbridge running at the same speed as the RAM, but that could be that I have just not found the right voltage combinations.

I've seen some blogs that mention that 2700MHz is possible at CL11, but the devil is in the details.

Currently I have the following:
    990FXA-UD5 rev1.0
    Powercolor HD6850
    FX-8150 at 4.64GHz at +0.275v
    NB at 2618MHz at 1.160v
    HTT at 2618MHz
    Base Clock at 238MHz
    Vnb-cpu-vid = +0.150v
    Antec Power Supply TP-750 (with Rails 1 + 2 clear of any external fan)

Andy

It depends on the CPU you have, each one is slightly different and will have different performance result. CPU-NB Frequency should be same as DRAM Frequency. Once you find the highest speed with stability, that will be the max for your CPU, and should be plenty fast. =)

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

Yes, what you say is essentially correct. But it doesn't help me.
      And I'm not seeing any stability if NB and RAM frequencies are the same in this hardware setup.

The FX-8150 is a CPU that should have less contributing variability than say the FX8100 or FX6100 or FX4100. All these latter models are hobbled FX8150's from the original chip wafer construction.

I'm looking for what these specific RAM units could do in a perfect AMD hardware setup at given clock speeds and Vdimm's. (i.e. what did GSkill/enthusiasts successfully achieve?) As most people's setups are imperfect, we could leave those details as the realistic but expected unsuccessful and shortened goalposts.
      Right now, I'm seeing this:
      CL9 2400MHz at 1.685v
      CL10 2460MHz at 1.69v
      CL11 2516MHz at 1.70v

I'm wondering if the CL12 potential is worth the effort in performance? Seems that would hit the 1.72v domain and would damage these RAM sticks as I am only on air cooling?

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by AMD-it View Post
        Right now, I'm seeing this:
        CL9 2400MHz at 1.685v
        CL10 2460MHz at 1.69v
        CL11 2516MHz at 1.70v

I'm wondering if the CL12 potential is worth the effort in performance?
        Its not worth it at all. Out of these settings would go with 2400 CL9 and try to tighten the subs next.
        Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

Originally posted by emissary42 View Post
          Its not worth it at all. Out of these settings would go with 2400 CL9 and try to tighten the subs next.
          Exactly. Calculate the clock period of your memory at the frequencies and timings you've mentioned:

At 2400MHz with CL9, the latency to the first word is 7.5ns (7.5 * 10^-9 seconds)
          At 2538MHz with CL10, the latency to the first word is ~7.88ns
          At 2700MHz with CL11, the latency to the first word is ~8.14ns

These show that changing CAS has a dramatic impact on your memory response time. Significantly more impact than your speed increases are getting you. You're best to go with the highest frequency and the lowest bootable CAS latency. The more you increase CAS the higher your clock has to be to compensate for the additional latency.

It's the same reason why DDR3 1600 CL11 is about equal in bandwidth to DDR3 1333 CL9. The additional latency offsets the higher clock. Higher clock = more power use = more heat.
          Last edited by icewewe; 01-23-2014, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Use a memory benchmark test to see which settings work best for your particular system. In some scenarios a higher frequency can perform better, so you never know unless you test actual performance.

Thank you
            GSKILL TECH

Comment

I decided to start with the stock settings for the RAM sticks as even GSkill originally intended the chips to possibly have the sweet speed spot there.

Further tweaking has allowed the following:
              4.66GHz at +0.300V
              233MHz Base Clock
              2484MHz RAM at 10-12-12-31-40 at 1.6950v
              NB at 2563MHz
              HTT at 2563MHz
              MaxMemm scored the best overall at these hardware settings (better than CL9 at 2412MHz)

It is a very delicate see-saw battle of increasing CPU frequency versus increasing RAM frequency. I remember with my old FX-4170. It hit 5.0GHz without a problem coupled with 2000MHz RAM, but as soon as I hit 2300MHz+, stability was achieved only with scaling the CPU back to 4.8GHz.

Comment

That's a very shy looking CPU-NB voltage. If you are going to clock it, then juice it!
                AMD's Official AM3/AM2+/AM2 Performance Tuning Guide

AMD's Official FX AM3+ Performance Tuning Guide

Comment

Yeah, it is shy but that same NB voltage gave me a stable system up to 2660MHz. I know I can go up to 1.200v and 2700MHz on this air cooling setup.

But my focus is on the RAM frequency while trying to maintain my CPU frequency. I'm using the tapestry of multipliers from the base clock to test my RAM. At this base clock of 233, the NB would rise to 2798MHz on the next multiplier of 12x. That setting would not be stable for long.

Comment

Got some improvement with steady but gentle tweaking of the voltages.
                    4.66GHz CPU (19.5x)
                    2549MHz RAM (10.66x)
                    2629MHz NB (11x)
                    2629MHz HTT (11x)
                    239MHz Base Clock
                    at 10-12-12-31-40
                    Vdram = 1.705v
                    Vnb = 1.170v
                    Vcpu = +0.300v
                    Vcpu-nb-vid = +0.150v

Again, Maxxmem scores are steadily improving and there is noticeable zippiness in Windows basic tasks.

My main goal is to reach my definition of stability...meaning if I can do everything at once that I normally do but causing no program freezes, nor BSOD's.

Comment

Are you running into a heat wall or something? My bulldozer could do 3GHZ NB no problem on air with 1.35v with 250 Base Clock on MSI 890FXA-GD65 mobo.

Comment

I appreciate your input as to what is possible on air-cooling alone. But I think you are quoting settings for short-term runs.
                        I am working within a narrower testing phase of what I can max out with my RAM given my current voltage settings (& small steps above) and maintain/sustain the computer for 24/7.

My CPU seems to max out at 4.66GHz and the NB and HTT max out at 2666MHz.
                        I'm taking in all the info from other blogs that state that on Air Cooling to avoid long-term damage:
                        Vnb should not be more than 1.200v
                        Vcpu should not be more than 1.500v (including Vdroop)
                        Vcpu-vid-nb should not be more than 1.350v
                        Vdram should not be more than 1.720v
                        Your 250MHz Base Clock is reasonable but I'm using the base + corresponding multiplier selections in the BIOS to allow me to increase the performance of my RAM in a stepwise progression.

I do see the possibility of getting my RAM to 2600MHz. (& maybe keeping them at CL10) GSkill has 2600MHz retail sticks that run at 10-12-12-31-40 so that is my frequency goal but at a higher Vdram.

Comment

Originally posted by AMD-it
                          I do see the possibility of getting my RAM to 2600MHz. (& maybe keeping them at CL10) GSkill has 2600MHz retail sticks that run at 10-12-12-31-40 so that is my frequency goal but at a higher Vdram.
                          CL11 2516MHz at 1.70v
                          If that holds true, then DDR3-2600 CL10 is probably out of reach for 24/7.

Both the DDR3-2600 and DDR3-2666 CL10 kits use very highly binned ICs. Out of the DDR3-2400 kits, the F3-2400C9D-8GTXD / F3-2400C9Q-16GXTD should have the best chances at those settings. I had several of them and all did 2600 CL10 below 1.65V.

Are your F3-2400C10D-8GZH single or double sided?
                          Team HardwareLUXX | Show off your G.SKILL products!

Comment

I appreciate your input as to what is possible on air-cooling alone. But I think you are quoting settings for short-term runs.
                            I am working within a narrower testing phase of what I can max out with my RAM given my current voltage settings (& small steps above) and maintain/sustain the computer for 24/7.

My CPU seems to max out at 4.66GHz and the NB and HTT max out at 2666MHz.
                            I'm taking in all the info from other blogs that state that on Air Cooling to avoid long-term damage:
                            Vnb should not be more than 1.200v
                            Vcpu should not be more than 1.500v (including Vdroop)
                            Vcpu-vid-nb should not be more than 1.350v
                            Vdram should not be more than 1.720v
                            Your 250MHz Base Clock is reasonable but I'm using the base + corresponding multiplier selections in the BIOS to allow me to increase the performance of my RAM in a stepwise progression.

I ran it like this for 2 years (the longest I ever used a single CPU in my main rig):

250 Base Clock
                            CPU Multi x 18 for 4500MHz 24/7 stable (x20 for stable benching at 5GHz)
                            CPU NB x15 for 3000MHz
                            RAM x8 for DDR3-2000CL8

All I did was run 1.5v (1.65 in bios) cpu voltage, 1.4v (in bios) CPU-NB, 1.7v for the RAM, and 1.3v on the chipset NB.

Those are all well in AMD spec:

I wouldn't lead you wrong brother. I'm pretty good at this OC stuff (and I keep extensive build logs)

I'm not telling you to try this:

<- on hyper 212+
                            Last edited by damric; 01-28-2014, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X