Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with RipjawsX F3-1866C9D-16GXM

Good day, I have just setup my new rig with the following components:

Mobo: Asrock Z87E-ITX (with latest P2.30 BIOS)
    CPU: i5-4570
    GPU: EVGA GTX 760 SC ACX
    PSU: Silverstone 600W 80 PLUS Bronze
    Memory: RipjawsX F3-1866C9D-16GXM (2 x 8GB)

At default settings, everything works fine. Memtest86+, Prime95, SuperPI, AIDA64 runs with no errors.

Once the XMP profile 1 or 2 is enabled, the Memtest86+ will still run fine with no errors. However, Prime95 Blend Test will have a "Hardware Failure" error within 10 seconds, SuperPI 32M will crash within 1 min and AIDA64 will give an error also. Additionally, I tried to manually input all the XMP numbers in the BIOS, but got the same error results.

When I raise the DRAM voltage to 1.55V, all the error goes away. As the memory XMP is rated to run at 1866MHz CL9-10-9-28 with 1.5V, I believe that the memory is not operating according to the specifications.

Can I request for a RMA with my local distributor? Or what else should I try? Appreciate any advise please. Thanks.
    Last edited by khermit; 01-14-2014, 08:52 PM. Reason: Grammar

Most likely the memory is working fine but your board doesnt supply exactly 1.5v when set to 1.5v. Try something like 1.52v and see if that still works, many itx boards start having voltage droops when loaded up in prime. The "issue" is almost certainly with your board not the memory, if u have no errors @1.55v you can just leave it there and enjoy. If you try another set it will almost certainly have the same result, you'll just be out shipping cost and time with your memory
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

supahos, thanks for the reply. However, I don't have an ATX board to test the memory. Is it documented anywhere that Prime95 will cause voltage droops?

Also, I cannot seem to find a monitor program that shows real-time DRAM voltage. Tried HWMonitor, HWInfo64, OpenHardwareMonitor. Non of them shows it... It will be good if I can find one so that I will be able to check if the DRAM voltage does droops during Prime95.

Thanks.

Comment

It shows on mine in hwinfo, so i assume your board doesnt have a sensor for it... when i run prime even with and 80+gold overkill power supply mine droops about .15v and i can actually stabilly run mine at 1.39v but i leave it at 1.50 just because itcant hurt anything. I think you're fine your memory just probably need exacty 1.5v to run as its supposed to. If it droops at all it fails
        ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

I am trying what you have suggested right now.

Results:
          Prime95 fails in about 2 mins with 1.52V.
          Fails in about 5 mins with 1.525V.
          Still going strong (about 20 mins now) with 1.53V.

Hmm... feels like it is really a combination of the mobo not supplying the correct DRAM voltage and the memory being right on the spec.

Thanks for the help, supahos!

Comment

Urrgghhh... Prime95 failed at 1.53V after 25 mins... zzz...

Comment

Glad to help there is a reason the standard answer for any memory issue is raise dram volrage .05v its because many boardsdo not give exacty the right voltage. In most cases its not actually raising the voltage to 1.55v its more getting it not tosag below 1.5v

Comment

Originally posted by khermit View Post
                Urrgghhh... Prime95 failed at 1.53V after 25 mins... zzz...
                Stick it at 1.55 and enjoy, it can run at that voltage and grow old with you...

Comment

Originally posted by supahos View Post
                  Stick it at 1.55 and enjoy, it can run at that voltage and grow old with you...
                  Last try at 1.535V. I will prefer to run as low volts as possible...

I may also just bring them to my local G.Skill distributor just to get them checked.

Comment

Its yours to do with what youbplease 1.55v will never hurt those sticks, but if you want to have them checked out go for it... or just drop them in a friend's computer

Comment

Set it to 1.550V and everything will be fine. If you really want, you can send them in for RMA exchange to see if a new kit works better. It is lifetime warranty so you can always get new modules if it is not operating to specification.

http://www.gskill.com/en/rma

Thank you
                      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                      X