Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

F3-2133C11Q-32GZL + ASUS Z87-PRO LGA 1150 Intel Z87 + Intel Core i7-4770K: 50% works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-2133C11Q-32GZL + ASUS Z87-PRO LGA 1150 Intel Z87 + Intel Core i7-4770K: 50% works

I have a brand new build using the items in the title and am having trouble getting the board to post with all 4 sticks. I picked the memory in question as it's specifically mentioned in the QVL for the board.

One, or two sticks in adjacent black and white slots, post fine. I select the XMP profile that matches the timings written on the box (11-11-11-31) in the BIOS and it displays it as running at 2133 and all is well. Got the OS up and everything.

I try those two sticks in two black slots and the board won't post at all - it shows error 55 which in the manual is "Memory not installed". Same if I put three, or all four sticks in.

It did post a couple of times with three sticks in but does not run for long - the board just resets, then fails to post again with the same error. I saw it come up with 4 sticks in once that I recall but again only for less than a minute, then the same error.

At first I thought the board was faulty so RMA'd it for another. I am getting the exact same thing though with the replacement so I think maybe I have something configured incorrectly? REALLY hope this memory is compatible with my board / CPU.

First thing to try is to try each stick individually to try and pin down if its board or stick related, Try a stick, if it works try same stick in all 4 slots on the board. If that works pick a slot and try the other 3 sticks. If they all work, you may have a module that doesn't play well with others. If a slot is bad, then well its RMA time I guess?

That memory was designed for that board and processor combonation. So that isn't the issue.
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

Ok I have not tried each stick individually, yet - wasn't sure I had even bought the right stuff. Thanks for the confirmation that I at least do own the correct pieces - I will now invest the time to do as you suggest and see if I can determine if there is slot on the board that is no good or a stick that "doesn't play nice with others" as you say.

Comment

Another thing to try is to ensure the bios is up to date. An old bios might not like that much memory going that fast. You "Should" be able to simply enable XMP in the bios with that setup and get rated specs out of it, of course if its not even posting with all 4 sticks this won't matter. Hopefully a bios update can fix it if all sticks and slots are good, but who knows? Asus and Gskill work closely together to ensure compatability.
        ASUS P8Z77-V LK / I5 3350P / 2X F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL Running @ 1866mhz / MSI GTX760 TF

Comment

Working...
        X