Z68XP-UD3P & F3-1866C10Q-32GSR incompatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z68XP-UD3P & F3-1866C10Q-32GSR incompatibility

I had two 8G memory kits (F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL) on my motherboard for a total of 16G. I tried to upgrade to a 32B memory kit (F3-1866C10Q-32GSR). After I installed the new memory, my system ran significantly slower, taking several seconds in some cases that used to be almost immediate.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P
    CPU is i7-2600K
    OS is Windows 7 Professional

Did I make a mistake and order the wrong memory? Other comments? Suggestions for memory?

Thanks.

The memory is probably fine, I'd guess a problem w/ the BIOS. While the bulk of the Z68's were advertised up to 32GB of DRAM, few to no mobo makers really worked the BIOS to take and run 32 since there were hardly any 8GB sticks available then. When the Z68s didn't go over all that well the Z77s came out and the Z68s were sort of put on the back burner as far as BIOS updates. Would suggest making sure you have the latest BIOS, then install all sticks, enable XMP select profile 1 and give it a try. If still seems sluggish, post up your BIOS settings for DRAM timings (both base and secondary/advanced) as well as your system voltages and we'll see what we can do to speed them up.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I updated the BIOS and enabled XMP with profile 1. That seemed to work for about 80-90% of the stuff on my computer. However, the reason I wanted to add memory was for Adobe products; Lightroom, Dreamweaver, InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop. The Adobe products seem to be the bad boys and still load slowly and behave a bit erratically.

I will collect and post the timing and voltages you requested, but wonder if Adobe might be a special case?

Comment

With some programs (and Adobe has a number of them) it's sort of the more memory the better, ao they may be loading more into memory before they start than they were before, which would take a little longer as it has to come off the harddrive first. Might consider reloading them, defragging the harddrive they are on or even putting them on a SSD for faster loads

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for all your help so far. I am including several print keys of bios info; I hope this what you need.

I am still experiencing performance issues with the new memory. Streaming is slower. Often the cursor is so slow that I click on the wrong icon. Screen refreshes are staccato.

Are the 32 gb limitations a function of total memory or the fact that I am trying to use 8gb sticks. Would I be able to get a more stable memory configuration by using 2 8gb sticks and 2 4gb sticks (total of 24gb)

Comment

Just got home, and have to run out for another hour or so, will grb a look and be back around 7PM AZ Time

Tman

Comment

Can you post the actual DRAM timings - both base and the advanced/secondary. Also you are showing most everything at Auto.....Try manually setting the CPU/VTT voltage to 1.16 and the VCCSA to 1.12

Tman

Comment

What is VCCSA?

Here are displays of Channel A and B timings.

This level of tinkering is new to me so I'm don't understand all of your instructions.

Comment

It's probable under power management if not found under OC, should be with other system voltages like vCore or CPU voltage, PLL voltage, etc...may be list as System Agent Voltage

Tman

Comment

I have changed the two voltages suggested. I am still getting a 5-10 second load of Firefox, jerky streaming, and erratic load times for applications and screen refreshes.

What do you think of the issue being with the 8gb sticks rather than a total of 32 gb of memory?

Any other suggestions?

thanks.

Comment

Haven't seen either really effect a browser likr this, have you considered reinstalling Firefox, or check for updates? Firefox seems to being getting an update every month, I've been running the betas and some of them have really sucked - it can be real good, then the next is very slow to load, and then fast again. If running current ver, might even consider dropping back a version

Tman

Comment

Hey I just created an account to let you know that I have been dealing with the same issues for the past week.

I am running on a Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 mobo, Windows 7 Pro (64), and upgraded from 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1333 Corsair memory to the G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Model F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL. Since installing the 32 GB I have had really slow boot times (with the system hanging on the Starting Windows screen for 3.5 minutes before booting to desktop), generally buggy performance, and FPS issues in games.

I have done multiple, multiple, clean installs, gone in and loaded the XMP profile from the RAM, updating the BIOS, and a whole host of other things to try and correct this issue, with no luck.

However, when testing to see if the issue was a faulty RAM module or faulty mobo slot, I tried booting up the machine with different combinations of the sticks and slots. What I found is that with only 16 GB (2 sticks) installed, the machine boots up great. It's only when all four sticks are installed that I encounter the poor performance issues.

This, and after reading this thread, leads me to believe that Tradesman is correct and the Z68 Gigabyte mobos just can't handle 32 GB of RAM properly (even though it says that it can, which is lame.)

I have been posting in multiple forums and scouring the internet for a solution to this problem for a week now. If I (or you guys) come across a solution, I will be sure to post it here as well.

Comment

Might read my info thread on QVLs here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10566

Even if they did any testing with 32GB, it was prob done at 1333/1600 and (this is strictly my opinion) I seriously doubt if they have put in any time at all to optimize the BIOS for 32GB and especially at higher freqs, of the ones I've worked with everything has had to be done manually with 1866/2133 sticks

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the link. Except I'm even having issues with the 1600 sticks. If I can't figure this out I'm just gonna have to cut my losses and run this rig at 16 GB, unless I want to upgrade my mobo.

Comment

Are you under XMP? if so might set the timings and lock them in manually....could try the CR at 1T or 1N, list up your advanced/secondary timings and system voltages and I'll see if I can find anything that might speed things up a bit more

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X