Ares for Z77 1155?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ares for Z77 1155?

Due to a good deal I can get through a family member, I am buying this package:

Intel BOXDZ77GA70K LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K
    Intel 520 Series Cherryville SSDSC2CW240A3K5 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

I am not interested in OC or games, so this is probably kinda overkill for a pretty vanilla home computer running Linux.

For memory I'm interested in longterm stability as much as speed. So I am considering getting an aftermarket cooler, this is one I'm looking at:

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1

I am concerned about the clearance, so I am considering the Ares because of it's low profile:

G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9Q-16GAO

This is the case I'm considering:

COOLER MASTER Silencio 450 RC-450-KKN1 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Any comments about the above configuration would be appreciated. But the reason I'm writing is to ask about the Ares memory. I found this thread on Tom's Hardware that suggests a possible problem with the Ares (regarding voltages):

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/30...aws-skill-ares

I'm not wanting to tweak this system much since I don't know anything about configuring CPU's and memory- I just want to do a simple but appropriate configuration that will be stable in the long term. In fact, I will likely wire hire someone to put the system together for me, but I would like to feel the choice of components is good, particularly the memory.

Thanks for your comments,
    Keith Ostertag

The bit on voltages i.e. running VCCSA applies to the high freq/high density sticks and only then generally with a bulky BIOS. I've run the Ripjaws X and Zs, the Ares and the Tridents w/ a 3570K at up to 32GB/2400 and not had to go over 1.14 on VCCSA or CPUVTT (VTT is the accepted MC voltage designator for Z77 mobos) that guy appears to be trying to run on a P67 chipset (i.e. the VCCIO designator) so apparently is taking a single instance of chipset and trying to apply it across the board on mobos/chipsets.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thank you Tradesman.

Great, then I'll get the Ares F3-1600C9Q-16GAO unless you or someone else can recommend a better match for my setup.

One additional follow-up question: Can I (should I) run these at the rated voltage of 1.5, considering I'm not interested in OC?

Thanks,
      Keith

Comment

Yes, 1.5 is the de-facto standard for DDR3, you can need more for higher freqs and higher density sticks.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
          The bit on voltages i.e. running VCCSA applies to the high freq/high density sticks and only then generally with a bulky BIOS. I've run the Ripjaws X and Zs, the Ares and the Tridents w/ a 3570K at up to 32GB/2400 and not had to go over 1.14 on VCCSA or CPUVTT (VTT is the accepted MC voltage designator for Z77 mobos) that guy appears to be trying to run on a P67 chipset (i.e. the VCCIO designator) so apparently is taking a single instance of chipset and trying to apply it across the board on mobos/chipsets.
          I saw the same thread the OP referenced and that concerned me also. What voltages does the memory's SPD change and how can I find out what a memory's XMP profile is before I purchase it?

This is all I can find on it but it doesn't say anything about voltages and I believe XMP 1.3 is the version that added the extra information to allow this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_...file_.28XMP.29

Comment

I don't know of anywhere that the information is published.

Tman

Comment

Well let me more specific then. Does the Ares series XMP profile make an adjustment to the VCCSA voltage?

I saw where you recommended people adjust it up if their memory was having problems?

Comment

Shouldn't w/ 16GB, depends on the Intel BIOS, if anything, it (the BIOS) might take it to 1.1, but shouldn't. I can run 32GB of 2133 at stock VCCSA and stock VTT

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by keithostertag View Post
                  Thank you Tradesman.

Great, then I'll get the Ares F3-1600C9Q-16GAO unless you or someone else can recommend a better match for my setup.

One additional follow-up question: Can I (should I) run these at the rated voltage of 1.5, considering I'm not interested in OC?

Thanks,
                  Keith
                  yes, Keith like Tradesman said U cold use the standard voltage on the same time set the timing to 7.7.7.21.t2 since u r going to use that voltage, those R my recommendations, great kit I have pull on the same kit all way to 2400mhz. on a P8Z77-V premium Board, and they work great, good luck guy
                  Case:Corsair, Obsidian 650D
                  MB: Asus X99-Deluxe, Bios-1801
                  CPU: i7 5960X @ 4.5Ghz-1.265V, Cache:4.0Ghz @1.255V
                  CpuCooler: EK Supremacy WB with Airplex Modularity Radiator.
                  GPU:EVGA 980HC @1565Mhz
                  PSU:EVGA 1300W SuperNova G2
                  Memory:F4-3200C16Q-16GRK @ XMP settings, Testing:F4-2800C15Q2-128GRKD
                  Timing: 16-16-16-36-1T
                  BD: Intel 400GB NVMe Pci-e SSD
                  " I'm not an OCer, just looking 4 a good mentor "

Comment

Working...
                  X