Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM keeps randomly freezing up my new custom built pc

Hey everyone, i need help desperately.

Monday, my custom build came in from newegg. I built it, started it up, installed all the drivers and ever since its been randomly freezing (the screen just totally freezes where it is, i cant use the mouse or keyboard. actually, sometimes it starts out all the windows 7 buttons freeze first, like the start button and what not, then the mouse freezes. sometimes ive gotten a loading cursor but i still have to cold reboot.) This really bums me out, because it was my first build and first gaming pc. Anyway, ive been doing alot of looking around and ive found alot of people with the same problem, and everything that was suggested to them hasn't helped me. I know its not my hard drive because the HDD Indicator light still flashes after the computer freezes. My PSU wattage is way over what is needed for my system, my temperatures are all under 50c, and all my video drivers are up to date. This leads me to believe that its my RAM. Ive tested both ram sticks separately with memtest and no problems are found. Eventually i contacted G.Skill and they told me to change some bios settings in order for my APU to work with my RAM smoothly. I did everything they recommended and nothing helped the freezing. Ive heard re-installing windows doesnt work but i havent tried it myself, i alread have about 100GB of games installed and i dont want to loose them if it wont work anyway. So, i figure its either my motherboard or RAM. Im stopping by fri's tomarrow and im wondering how i can make sure what the problem is in my system so i can fix it. Please note that on the ASRock website it says my RAM isnt compatible with my Motherboard, but on the GSkill website it says the RAM i have is compatible with AMD APU's. SO confused!!!! Thanks for the help!

tl;dl: New build keeps freezing, i think its the RAM but i need to be sure. recommend some things to fix the problem or new parts to replace the faulty ones in my system causing the freeze.

SPECS:
    ASRock P55 Pro3
    AMD APU A8 3870k
    Saphire Radeon HD 6670 1GB
    Corsair CX500
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3 1866 Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL
    Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s

Also, correct voltage/timing BIOS setting would help alot also. i just bumped up my
    CPU NB and DRAM voltage a little to see if it will help at all. thanks!

First, hopefully you have the A55 Pro 3 (the P55 Pro 3 is an Intel based mobo) You don't mention the BIOS, do you have the latest BIOS, 1.30? Believe your mobo uses DOCP, if so enable that and select 1866, which is the rated max for your APU. If that doesn't work, you'll need to OC the CPU, add about + 0.06 to the spec DRAM voltage and about + 0.10 to the CPU/NB voltage. The spec timings for 1866 are 9-10-9-28, CR (Command Rate/Timing) at 2T or 2N...if that doesn't work can try 10-10-9-28. Still no joy, may want to drop to 1600 at 9-9-9-27.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      First, hopefully you have the A55 Pro 3 (the P55 Pro 3 is an Intel based mobo) You don't mention the BIOS, do you have the latest BIOS, 1.30? Believe your mobo uses DOCP, if so enable that and select 1866, which is the rated max for your APU. If that doesn't work, you'll need to OC the CPU, add about + 0.06 to the spec DRAM voltage and about + 0.10 to the CPU/NB voltage. The spec timings for 1866 are 9-10-9-28, CR (Command Rate/Timing) at 2T or 2N...if that doesn't work can try 10-10-9-28. Still no joy, may want to drop to 1600 at 9-9-9-27.
      Yes, i do have The A55 Pro3 with the latest BIOS. I just tried to change the BIOS settings to your recommendations, and i couldn't find DOCP, but when i tried to change the timings to 10-10-9-28, literally 2 seconds after typing in the second 10 into the BIOS, my computer shut down and wont boot. i tried taking one stick out and booting like that, but still nothing. what should i do now? is my computer ruined?

Comment

That sounds like CPU, MOBO or PSU....simply typing anything into the BIOS doesn't do a thing till you save it and reboot, which is when it gets implemented....might be overheating, might have some thermal compound on bottom of CPU or in socket, could be bent/broken pins in there, a surging PSU.............

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
          That sounds like CPU, MOBO or PSU....simply typing anything into the BIOS doesn't do a thing till you save it and reboot, which is when it gets implemented....might be overheating, might have some thermal compound on bottom of CPU or in socket, could be bent/broken pins in there, a surging PSU.............
          Yeah its definitely my CPU, i picked up a new MOBO and some RAM today at fri's, and still no boot. I know its not my PSU because i checked the faq's on corsair's website and i tested the psu and it worked fine. I remember when it first shut down, i could smell what smelled like somthing burning. Could upping the CPU voltage have caused the overheat?

thanks for the help

Comment

COuld, but generally takes a drastic jump, norm if to much vCore will just auto shut down....

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X