• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL runs unstable on P67

I bought a pair of 2X4G F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL ram when I build my PC last year

Sabertooth P67
    i7 2600K

it runs charmingly, even on latest windows 8. it runs 1600 9-9-9-24

Then I decide increase memory with another pair of 2X4G F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL.

This time it gave me a lot of trouble. After few days diagnose. I worked out the new pair only can runs 1600 11-11-11-28, even on the label says 9-9-9-24. This do destroy some trust of G.Skill brand. I know I only pay the half price compare to a year ago. But the same model should works same

After some research, I set up manually all to 1600 11-11-11-28 and give 1.5v, it seems stable now. but still give me some BSOD occasionally. I haven't oc the CPU, still runs 3.4G. Is there any place I can setup to make more stable on ASUS Sabertooth P67? I don't mind loose performance, just don't want BSOD any more when I'm coding.

Any suggestion? Thanks in advance.

Any time you mix sets (even the same model) it can be problematic, i.e. XMP only works on an individually packaged set. Basically what it may be is that the BIOS doesn't have guidance/settings on how to set up 4 sticks, since each package/set was only two. First try disabling XMP and set the timings manually to 9-9-9-24, ensure CR (Command Rate) is 2T or 2N, raise DRAM voltage to 1.57, raise VCCIO voltage to 1.12 and give that a try, if no joy post your BIOS settings for voltages and DRAM timings, to include the secondary/advanced timings

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      Any time you mix sets (even the same model) it can be problematic, i.e. XMP only works on an individually packaged set. Basically what it may be is that the BIOS doesn't have guidance/settings on how to set up 4 sticks, since each package/set was only two. First try disabling XMP and set the timings manually to 9-9-9-24, ensure CR (Command Rate) is 2T or 2N, raise DRAM voltage to 1.57, raise VCCIO voltage to 1.12 and give that a try, if no joy post your BIOS settings for voltages and DRAM timings, to include the secondary/advanced timings
      That was quick, thank you Tradesman

Yes, I tried 9-9-9-24-2, and set the voltage to 1.575 and VCCIO 1.125, however use memtest86+ run errors just start 16bit test. If I change the primary timings to 11-11-11-28-2 can pass the test.

Following is my settings. Actually the voltage is jump up and down around these settings.

Primary Timings
      DRAM CAS# Latency CHA:9 CHB:9 Setting:9
      DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay CHA:9 CHB:9 Setting:9
      DRAM RAS# PRE Time CHA:9 CHB:9 Setting:9
      DRAM RAS# ACT Time CHA:24 CHB:24 Setting:24
      DRAM COMMAND Mode CHA:2 CHB:2 Setting:2

Secondary Times
      DRAM RAS# to RAS# Delay CHA:5 CHB:5 Setting:Auto
      DRAM REF Cycle Time CHA:128 CHB:128 Setting:Auto
      DRAM Refresh Interval CHA:6240 CHB:6240 Setting:Auto
      DRAM WRITE Recovery Time CHA:12 CHB:12 Setting:Auto
      DRAM READ to PRE Time CHA:6 CHB:6 Setting:Auto
      DRAM FOUR ACT WIN Time CHA:24 CHB:24 Setting:Auto
      DRAM WRITE to READ Delay CHA:6 CHB:6 Setting:Auto
      DRAM CKE Minimum pulse width CHA:4 CHB:4 Setting:Auto
      DRAM CAS# Write Latency CHA:8 CHB:8 Setting:Auto
      DRAM RTL(CHA) CHA D0:37 CHA D1:37 Setting:Auto
      DRAM RTL(CHB) CHB D0:38 CHB D1:38 Setting:Auto

Third Timings
      tWRDR(DD) CHA:1 CHB:1 Setting:Auto
      tRWDR(DD) CHA:3 CHB:3 Setting:Auto
      tRWSR CHA:3 CHB:3 Setting:Auto
      tRR(DD) CHA:3 CHB:3 Setting:Auto
      tRR(DR) CHA:1 CHB:1 Setting:Auto
      tRRSR CHA:4 CHB:4 Setting:Auto
      tWW(DD) CHA:3 CHB:3 Setting:Auto
      tWW(DR) CHA:3 CHB:3 Setting:Auto
      tWWSR CHA:4 CHB:4 Setting:Auto

My Voltage status and settings

CPU Voltage 1.096v Setting:Auto
      DRAM Voltage 1.587v Setting:1.57500
      VCCSA Voltage 0.925v Setting:Auto
      VCCIO Voltage 1.143v Setting:1.12500
      CPU PLL Voltage 1.793v Setting:Auto
      PCH Voltage 1.056v Setting:Auto
      DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHA Setting:Auto
      DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHA Setting:Auto
      DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHB Setting:Auto
      DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHB Setting:Auto
      CPU Spread Spectrum Settingisabled

Comment

Try

DRAM RAS# to RAS# Delay CHA:6 CHB:6
        DRAM REF Cycle Time CHA:170 CHB:170
        DRAM READ to PRE Time CHA:7 CHB:7
        DRAM FOUR ACT WIN Time CHA:26 CHB:26
        DRAM WRITE to READ Delay CHA:7 CHB:7

and raise VCCSA to 1.1

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Try

DRAM RAS# to RAS# Delay CHA:6 CHB:6
          DRAM REF Cycle Time CHA:170 CHB:170
          DRAM READ to PRE Time CHA:7 CHB:7
          DRAM FOUR ACT WIN Time CHA:26 CHB:26
          DRAM WRITE to READ Delay CHA:7 CHB:7

and raise VCCSA to 1.1
          Hi Tradesman,

You guys are amazing. I should talk to you first instead to waste time work out by myself. It works charmingly. I have tested 10 hours in memtest86+. No single error with the new settings. Many thanks.

Comment

Glad to hear it, many of the mobo makers just don't have their BIOSs up to snuff when it comes to running multiple sticks, I myself have always liked lots of DRAM so have had some experience in setting up the advanced timings, it can be a real bear...but also lets you know why so many complain about DRAM being the problem....when in fact it's often the BIOS that does set things correct

Tman

Comment

Hi Tradesman,

Sorry to trouble you again. I have some trouble with cold booting with previous settings. What do you think the problem? I tried raise DRAM Voltage or VCCIO Voltage all give error directly.

Comment

VCCSA up a hair

Tman

Comment

VCCSA up a hair
                  I gave 1.1265v the problem still exists. It only happens when cold boots, then after few restarts then it becomes stable.

what else I can do?

Comment

Drop VCCSA back to Auto and try raising vCore + 0.04 from current setting

Tman

Comment

Drop VCCSA back to Auto and try raising vCore + 0.04 from current setting
                      no luck, immediately give me error after booting.

Comment

Next try going into BIOS under the Advanced tab, find APM and enable PCI-E and can try that. Might also try disabling Turbo Mode if it's currently on

Tman

Comment

Next try going into BIOS under the Advanced tab, find APM and enable PCI-E and can try that. Might also try disabling Turbo Mode if it's currently on
                          No luck! Still dies in cold booting. Turbo Mode is always disabled. Should I RMA this set, or give some other trial. I don't mind run slow settings, just need some stability.

Comment

Could try them at 1333, 8-8-8-24

Tman

Comment

I tried this, because I read another thread looks like similar problem. And try every combination of settings recommended. no luck. do you think RMA this set will work?

Comment

Working...
                              X