Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F3-213311D-8GAO MSIP55-GD55 i5 750

EDIT: F3-213311D-8GAO S/B F3-2133C11D-8GAO
    I have recently upgraded from 8GB of DDR3-1600 (4X2GB)to 16Gb of this DDR3-2133 (4X4GB) in hopes of picking up some speed at moderately OC'd settings. I have had the CPU up to 4008GHz without temp problems - CPU is running about 15 degrees above room temp for the most part from stock to 4GHz speeds. I got nervous though and backed it off. Also I think the 3332MHz speed shown is w/o "turbo", so it jumps a bit?

Trouble is I haven't any experience - at least other than trial and error - at configuring the BIOS to take advantage of the capabilities of this new RAM. The MB spec's say it supports 2133* (*=overclocked).

Where would I start? I have run CPU-Z:

I have tried a few combinations of BIOS settings but it seems I haven't had enough info to get to the speed this component is capable of supporting - or knowing if I have!

Suggestions are appreciated.

Steve
    Last edited by VagabondSteve; 08-31-2012, 12:00 PM. Reason: F3-213311D-8GAO S/B F3-2133C11D-8GAO
    ANOTHER OC NOVICE
    I worked on the boring stuff in computers since 1975...
    NOW I'M HAVING FUN!

Steve

Looks like you get 2 sets, with a single packaged set could have just enabled XMP selected 2133 and be done. With this, you'll have to set the BIOS to manual or auto, input the freq manually as well as the timings. Might also want to add about .05 to the spec DRAM voltage, and put an OC on the CPU of 3.8- 4.0 or so

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Aye, There's the Rub!

I wasn't aware that I could buy a 4X4 set - hmmmmmm.
      Perhaps that's why I see two profiles in the BIOS for XMP?

I wonder if you can direct me to a resource that might have the settings for this product - the BIOS I have wants some terms that aren't shown in CPU-Z or the MB Control Center software, like "tRC". I have already experienced a few chances to use the fail safe from bad timings when the system won't boot. I thought I had some idea, but obviously I don't.

I would love to have the CPU bumped up to that 3.8-4.0 range seems like it went to that range when I selected one of the profiles for XMP.....maybe one last try?

If I can decipher the proper settings for 2133 it would point me in the right direction.

Maybe I can remove a set, play with the BIOS to see if I can choose a 2133 profile - would that help?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Steve
      ANOTHER OC NOVICE
      NOW I'M HAVING FUN!

Steve

Comment

Can start with one set, clear CMOS and set XMP, which should set the proper timings , jot them down, including the advanced timings (tRC, tWTR etc........ tRFC in particular as that will be the biggest diff), boot, shut down, add second set, raise DRAM voltage + .05, boot shut down, boot and see what the timings are after all that. tRFC should be in the 170 range now, if not, set it to 170 and see what happens, and let us know

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks, I will try it but it's likely to be next week, and I will advice of the outcome.
          Clearing CMOS - with the MB jumper I assume - so I need to have all my changes noted (I'm running a SATA RAID and I can't always remember the settings to activate it - after a BIOS upgrade I got to sweat it out while I figured it out.)
          ANOTHER OC NOVICE
          NOW I'M HAVING FUN!

Steve

Comment

Generally for a RAID, just go to the HD section of the BIOS and it should offer IDE, AHCI, SATA or RAID, change to RAID, reboot, back to BIOS then go to the BOOY priorities and select your RAID as the first boor option, save and it should boot up

Tman

Comment

OK< I couldn't sleep...

So, I browsed the BIOS as it were.
              I found a set of XMP spec's for each DRAM module. I wrote them all down - they were all the same as it turned out. There were specs there for ALMOST all the manual settings - tFAT or something was missing - so I set both channels to the values:
              Cycles =1
              tCL = 11
              tRCD = 11
              tRP = 11
              tRAS = 30
              tRFC = 171
              tWR = 16
              tWTR = 8
              tRRD = 7
              tRTP = 8
              The spec said 2133 1.6v as well, but I bumped the voltage to 1.65.
              I could not OC the CPU to 3.8 without instability, so I am at 3.3+ (166X20) for now
              CPU Temps at 100 degrees F / 38 C, SYS temps 34C - room temp is 78 F!
              I will have to eval the results in the real world, perhaps I'm better to concentrate on CPU OC?

Thanks Again!

Steve
              ANOTHER OC NOVICE
              NOW I'M HAVING FUN!

Steve

Comment

No problem, keep us updated on the CPU OC

Tman

Comment

Working...
                X