RipjawsX F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL on Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RipjawsX F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL on Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R

Recently upgraded my RAM however since doing so my OS has been unable to boot (hangs on OS loading screen). Reverted back to previous RAM and was able to boot without any problems.
    Was wondering if there is anything I may have missed, what BIOS settings I should adjust, or could try to get things running?

-Specifications-
    Model of motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R
    Model of memory: RipjawsX F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL
    Model of CPU: Intel i5 660
    Operating System: Win7 Ult 64bit

Many thanks in advance!

Do you have the latest BIOS? If not may want to upgrade, many mobo makers are still behind in getting the BIOS updated for 8GB sticks. Then enable XMP and next would be you prob need additional QPI/VTT voltage for the MC (memory controller), might start w/ 1.3 volts and let us know what happens.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

BIOS appears to be up to date (F9). Enabled XMP and adjusted QPI/VTT accordingly.
      Still hangs at OS loading screen though.

Comment

Tried running the latest version of memtest86+, though it hangs after 3 milliseconds of wall time.
        Tried running an older version of memtest86+ (v4.10), though it hangs after 1 millisecond of wall time.
        Attempted to boot with just one module installed, would automatically reboot after post screen, would not load into BIOS setup. Tried this again with the other module, same result.

Comment

Sounds like it may be bad slots/mobo or possibly CPU, or maybe both sticks bad - can check that with a different stick of RAM if you have one or can borrow one. Otherwise would pull CPU and look for thermal compound on bottom or in socket and check for bent/broken pins in socket. Could also be a short if mobo not attached right, might look at this thread for troubleshooting

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=11279

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Just tested it again with my previous 4GB kit and everything appears to work fine. It only seems to have a problem when I install the new kit.
            Will see if I can get a replacement and see what happens.
            Thanks for the advice!

Comment

No problem, keep us updated

Tman

Comment

I am such an idiot!

I just figured out what the problem was.
                All this time I had the wrong model number for my motherboard.
                I thought I had the GA-P55-UD3R when in fact I have the GA-P55A-UD3R.

The P55 variants latest BIOS release is F8, which confused the hell out of me since my BIOS tells me it?s F9 and I should have realised there and then what I had done wrong.
                Meanwhile the P55A variants latest BIOS release is F14b, with memory expansion listed as being available since F12.

So essentially all I have to do is update the BIOS and everything should work smoothly. Will test all of this later today, but I don't expect any problems
                Excuse me while I go bang my head on a table a few times...

Comment

I have a special bat I use for days like that, (it Styrofoam )

Tman

Comment

Updated the BIOS to the latest version and attempted to boot with the new RAM, still the same old problems though.

Here's the real puzzler, I tested the RAM on another P55 computer (can't recall the exact spec though) and it worked fine! I can't for the life of me work out what the issue could be.

As far as I can tell, my CPU and mobo are working fine since there doesn't appear to be any sign of physical damage and everything works as per normal with my old 4GB kit of RAM.

I'd say that it has something to do with the OS if it weren?t for the fact that memtest stalls in exactly the same manner, as does when attempting to boot the OS from the install disk.

I'm seriously stumped on this one...

Comment

Check the specs again, I just broke my bat out, looks like it supports 16GB, but only in a 4x4GB config, your model number is a 2x8GB set, see mobo specs

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=3162#sp

Tman

Comment

Working...
                      X