8GB parts for ASUS Sabertooth 990FX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8GB parts for ASUS Sabertooth 990FX?

I'm researching a new dev system based on the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX.

Starting config: Phenom II 1045T (x6 chip), 2x8GB memory (i.e., 16GB)

Future config: 4x8GB (i.e., 32GB)

Further future: Piledriver/Steamroller/Excavator chip, probably x6 but maybe x8 or higher

What parts should I buy to have the best stable performance?

I'm not a gamer and tend to prefer vanilla settings since most QA testing goes on at the default settings, not out at the margins.

Many thanks for help. (Apologies if this is the wrong forum; please feel free to move it)

Based on what you've provided, especially AMD, 8GB sticks and poss 32GB total, I'd suggest the 1600 Snipers, 2x8GB set - F3-1600C9D-16GSR.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Why parts identified for gaming? (nt)

Many thanks for your quick response -- but why those parts? I'm definitely not a gamer -- it takes me all my time to write software!

The reason why I'm curious is that I read about AMD not having the best mem controller (which surprised me, but I'm na?vely taking it as being true rather than pro-Intel propaganda), and so I'm wondering why 1600 rather than the slower and thus easier-to-control 1333 (e.g., F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL)
      Last edited by MMacD; 08-21-2012, 10:10 AM.

Comment

It's not propoganda, AMD has long had weak MCs in comparison to Intel, i.e. even their latest CPUs the FX series is only rated 'UP TO 1866 AT 1 DIMM PER CHANNEL", they put out very little money wise on R&D, in order to keep the CPU prices down. While the FX CPUs are native 1333 (same as Sandy Bridge, i.e. 25, 26, 2700K), the AMDs have trouble even with 2x8GB 1866 quite often, where Sandy Bridge CPUs (which are older) easily run 4x8GB 32GB sets and some of the X79 based CPUs can run 64GB. The newer Ivy Bridge can handle up to 32GB and 2800 (and up) sticks. I'm just guessing, but pile driver may handle 2133, though initially, I'd guess 16GB. You could go slower, which I considered, but being that you are looking to a 1045T now and then prob upgrading, I think you can handle 1600 - could even consider 1866 with the thought that initially may want to drop to 1600 and then kick it back to the native 1866 when you upgrade the CPU....which is also a reason I picked the Snipers, they generally play well with an additional set being added and they OC quite well, so you'd prob be able to run the 1600 set, even with another set added at 1866

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X