P8Z68-V Pro -- 16 GB DDR3 ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P8Z68-V Pro -- 16 GB DDR3 ??

I am starting to build a system with an Asus P8Z68-V PRO MB (non Generation 3), and an i7 Sandybridge 2600K CPU and Windows 7 64 bit OS. I will probably use BIOS version 0706.

I have bought 8 gigabytes of DDR3 F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR Sniper RAM (4GB x 2), and am now considering buying another 8 GB of the same RAM to run a total of 16 GB on my system.

It is not clear to me from reading the QVL list if my MB will run 16 GB (4 sticks) of this RAM. Any suggestions of how I can be certain of the compatibility of 16 GB?

It should yes, only real possible problem being that anytime you mix sets it can be problematic...and XMP doesn't work with two sets, the XMP programming is for each individual packaged set. With 1600 sticks you should probably at most need to raise the DRAM and/or MC voltage. The Snipers are good sets, think you should have no real problems, I've used two sets before on a number of system w/ the 1600 sets, (even with 1866 and 2133 sets)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks Tman

It is always good to get feedback from one who has had first hand experience. I wouldn?t have known about the XMP limitation of mixed sets.

My initial question was after reading a number of P8Z68 purchasing reviews that said 8GB worked but 16 didn?t, however the reviews didn?t say whether they were mixing different sets of RAM.

Wirechuck

Comment

Mixing the sets can cause problems as mentioned above, generally it's with higher freq sets or sets that are touchier (one of the reasons I suggested the Snipers, which I use a lot of, they are very flexible, OC well and also Underclock well and work with everything I've thrown at them), you also see people having problems with lower end CPUs (the 2600K can easily carry 32GB of 2133/CL9 sticks). Think you should be fine and happy with the sets. If any problems give a shout.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Working...
        X