Failing Ram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failing Ram

I have 2 x 2GB PC 6400CL4 PI Ram which I bought to supplement my existing 2 x 2GB PC 6400CL4 HK Ram. It is a little overclocked at 825Mhz 4-4-4-12 @ 1.98volts on a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P rev.1.6 motherboard. The HK ram has remained fine since I bought it about 2 years ago, but the PI ram has failed twice now. I feel that to RMA it once again would be pointless. Do you have any idea what may be going on to cause this?

DO the PIs run OK by themselves? Mixing sets, in of itself, can be problematic, two sets, even of the same model can be problematic. Even more so when OCed, may need additional DRAM and NB voltage to try and get them to play together

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Yes, I did test PI's alone. The northbridge is at 1.34V, which should be enough, I think. Writing this got me thinking, I ran memtest again on the PI's only, with the ram swapped over to slots 1 and 3 from 2 and 4. They passed this time, so it is the slots that are faulty, it seems.

Comment

SOunds like it may well be, or the MC in the NB is headed south...if possible could try sticks in another rig, maybe a little peace of mind

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks, Tradesman. I am going to settle for 4Gb of ram for the time being. The extra 4Gb did not make any difference anyway!

Comment

OK, well, keep in touch

Tman

Comment

I decided to replace the motherboard after. As you say, it could be the northbridge going south, as I had other problems with it, write failures and sound driver not loading etc.. Thanks.

Comment

Let us know how it goes

Tman

Comment

I reverted to my foxconn P35A-S board and all has been stable since. The gigabyte board, which was secondhand, had odd problems from the off, with onboard audio driver unable to load and explorer.exe errors, unable to write/read the memory at such address or similar, so i have suspected it, but did not realise it could cause seeming ram errors. Anyway, all is well now.

Comment

Glad to hear all is well and sorry bout the bad mobo, keep in touch

Tman

Comment

Working...
                    X