Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Running 4x2GB RAM + Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe + Phenom II

Hey guys,

I was wondering if it would be possible for me to upgrade my system to 8GB of RAM total via a 4x2GB configuration using GSkill Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK.

I am already using one of these kits and everything is working fine - it's possible I may not even need the 8GB for anything other than possible head-room in Battlefield 3 but I'm not even sure I need it for that.

I am also running my system overclocked and it is very stable.
    I have my Phenom II X4 830 OC'ed to 3.4GHz from 2.8GHz stock (243 Ref clock x 14 Multi) @ 1.325v which I believe is stock for this processor (VID in Core Temp).

RAM settings are DDR2 800 5-5-5-15-26-2T @ 2.1v (RAM is rated for 2.1V at DDR2 1066).
    The RAM comes out at 972 MHz with my Ref clock @ 243 and the FSBRAM ratio being 1:2.

As I mentioned before - everything is very stable and probably sufficient for my needs but I'm curious about maxing out the motherboards potential and adding in another 4GB of RAM... Seeing as how everyone has 8GB or more these days.

I have heard however that AMD processors have a difficulty running with more than 2 modules installed. I don't know if this refers to the AM2 days only or if this is still true, but my situation is unique in that I'm running an AM3 Phenom II on an AM2 motherboard - The Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe. I am able to do this via a BIOS update (5001) which allows the installation of an AM3 processor and subsequently DDR2 1066 RAM.

Now previously I was running an Athlon 64 X2 5200+ overclocked to 3.0GHz from stock 2.6GHz and tried to run 4x1GB of Corsair XMS DDR2 800 RAM but the system was unstable. I found out the problem stemmed from running all 4 memory slots full and loading down the memory controller without increasing voltage to the CPU-NB.

After I found out all this information I tried every tweak including increasing CPU-NB voltage but I could not get the system stable with all 4 slots populated. My Windows XP 32 install got corrupted and would BSOD randomly when playing games.

Wanting to avoid this situation when I upgraded to the Phenom II I cautiously purchased only a 4GB kit (2x2GB) of Gskil DDR2 1066 RAM. But i wonder if the Phenom II has the same limitations as my old processor as these newer AMD processors have the memory controller on the CPU itself. My motherboard however remains in question here as it may still play havoc on things when all 4 memory slots are full even if the Phenom II has the memory controller on it.

When I upgraded I installed the Phenom II processor, the 4GB of Gskill RAM the New GTX 560Ti Video Card and Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit all at once. The new Windows 7 64 install not only allows me to use more RAM (and play BF3), but ruled out a corrupt OS install as well for troubleshooting purposes.

Can I expect to run 8GB flawlessly with this older motherboard running an AM3 Phenom II? Even with my OC? Or should I just be happy with what I have :/

My System:
    Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit
    Corsair TX750W PSU
    Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe Mobo
    GSkill 2x2GB DDR2 1066 RAM @ 2.1v
    AMD Phenom II X4 830 @ 3.4GHz
    GTX 560Ti GPU
    2x WD Caviar Black 640MB HDDs in Raid 0
    Asus DVD-RW
    Thermaltake Armor Case (250mm Side Fan)
    Last edited by Necromaniac; 02-28-2012, 07:53 PM.

I'd think so, may need higher DRAM and CPU/NB voltages

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Well, you can run 8GB, but at what frequency and timings depends on your hardware and abilities.

You may also need to boost HT Voltage to get better results.

Keep us posted!

Thank you
      GSKILL TECH

Comment

Thanks for the quick response guys.

Only the first 3 or 4 timings can be changed (CL, RAS, etc.). The fifth number in the sting (26) is as "loose" as the BIOS will allow for DDR2 800 or lower settings.

Only if I enable DDR2 1066 and turn off any processor overclock can I get that fifth number much looser to about 44 or so but not the SPD / JDEC recommended 48. The RAM will run as a 4GB kit like this no problem though (5-5-5-15-44 @ 2.1v DDR2 1066).

I admit I am not very experienced with RAM timings and have only ever played with these "first" settings and none of the more advanced "second" or "third" timings. I am willing to learn though... but still a bit unsure if it's even worth spending the money on more RAM that I probably don't need only to cause problems where there currently are none...

I just wondered if the Phenom II I am running could take any amount of RAM like a champ (as any modern processor these days should) - or if I was still bound by the old AM2 motherboard.

I'll let you guys know if I try the 8GB route - but for now I'm a bit apprehensive.

Comment

That is a average Phenom II, it limited as far as reaching high frequency with full slots.

With 8GB, your older DDR2-972 settings with lower timings like 4-4-4-12 would probably be best.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
          X