X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dima_s View Post
    Hi!
    I have a q9550 chip, striker ii formula motherboard (n780i) and 2x2gb gskill pi pc8500. I want to run fsb 1800 and memory 900 so the ratio will be 1:1. which timings and advanced timings should i change and what voltage to use for northbridge?
    Should I mess with GTL Ref voltages? I have positive and negative values for gtl. what is the difference?

thank you!
    I am by no means the expert around here, but I do know that GTL Ref settings are the key to attaining high clocks without having to pump your system with absurd voltages. Having the ability to make negative adjustments is a great feature only avilable on high-end boards such as yours.

This does not mean you will use negative adjustments, but if the situation called for it, you would at least be able to do so. Some people are not able to achieve the correct adjustment due to lack of negative adjustment capability. It varies for each board.

In my case, I give my lanes 1 & 2 +90mv and lanes 3 & 4 +80mv. This allows me to run 1600fsb at 1.2v VTT instead of 1.3v VTT if I left the lanes on auto.

There are many good guides to GTL Ref settings out there. I recommend going to forums related to your board for specifics.

Comment

tried so many settings last night and still nothing. Just want to throw my computer from the 12th floor!!!!
      the g.skill memories i have don't work correctly at stock settings. i always get bsods. if i change to simple 667 ram 2x1 gb everything ok at stock settings so the cpu and board are ok. also the g.skill memory works fine at 1066 in another pc with p5q-em board, so i can surely say that there is no failed hardware. i think that the only problem is advanced timings. i've also tried to enable or dissable the "sli ready memory" feature and sgtill nothing. all the cpu features like virtualizing tech, speed step, spread spectrum, etc. are dissabled

CPU Q9550 E0 (COOLED MITH MUGEN II)
      RAM G.SKILL PI PC 8500 2X2GB
      MB STRIKER II FORMULA (WITH LATEST BIOS)

please help me to set those settings!!!

Comment

those of you who used latency 4-4-3-14, how did you past posting? mine even doesnt eant to post with something less than 5-5-5-15?

Comment

ok! finally found a great solution!!! --->>> NEVER BUY G.SKILL AGAIN, because of useless tech support.

Comment

yup my first experience prolly the last......
            i have NEVER had this much problem with ANY other memmory.....

Comment

If you are having issues with your own setup, start a new thread so we can help you solve it. Otherwise no one knows you're having an issue if you are posting deep into someone else's testing thread. We also have a direct telephone technical support line and email, so those are also options you can take if you need assistance.

Thank you
              GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

i've opened the thread before i posted here http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=1113

Comment

Well, Actually every single one from this topic passes memory test in full including of course POSTs clean. There is an issue on some of boards while adjusting North bridge the board gets unstable for first couple reboots. This is as board adjusts the fine delays and it will correct itself.

------------------

As for dima_s sorry got late respond been busy.

You should dump timings 1081Mhz(6:5/333 strap) 450FSB 5-5-5-17-4-70-7-4 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS-RRD-RFC-WR-RTP) to your BIOS should work just fine (make sure you are using memory slots 2 and 4 as in A2 and B2 not A1 and B1 or other compinations.). However, you will need 2,20v in BIOS to keep it stable and minimum of 1,43v on north bridge. On 900Mhz setup. You can test the setup of 4-4-4-14-2-45-2 and bunch he lower values as the post here which was written as experimental when you first posted here something. tRCD and tRP same + RAS little higher will balance the memory after 2 reboots to NB should work through memory tests. Even the 4-4-3-7-3-45-2 should work, however, you will have issues later on on that setting because of other timings to suggest just adding the 14 to tRAS.

------------------

-Fixed some troubleshooting for USB lags these option to stabilize it different manner the resets from begin with by South Bridge.
                  -The seen a lot of DDR/DRAM VTT voltage tweaking, atm, on AM2+/AM3. This is useless area to tweak and it is none sense as far I've tested termination voltages should always stabilize the the current in half not on major even while L3 caches applies. Would understand to apply higher VTT under CPUs but this does not apply to RAM similar so disagree the whole idea. (lol, 1.4V? get ****ing serious this requires 2.8v on DDR2 you know).

------------------

Your tech support haven't answered my questions on e-mails either and seems there's no proper respond to some very good questions on ASUS boards.

Edit #01

heh, read some comments on this topic to not to buy G.Skill again. Well, that is kinda lame perspective as memories in general actually are pretty near fastest memory you can buy, to judge something that doesn't clean POST up is understandable, but that only shows idioticy of any single person tweaking. I think this is just matter of taste G.Skill is cheap and has flaws because of it, their memory is much slower than competition in a internal settings wise, while reality is that they go lower than competition still while used correctly. Anyone, thinking otherwise can dump me an memory speeds on screens I'll compete to those any day with G.Skill memories even while not on spec.
                  Last edited by genetix; 07-27-2009, 01:02 AM.
                  "Sex is like freeware, shareware on weekends. When do we get to open source?" -TwL

Thanks AMD/ATI for banning legit customers who asks questions of your screw-ups:
                  http://i45.tinypic.com/30j0daq.png

Comment

Bump to move this thread back up to the top. It has a lot of good information and testing

I personally had a bad experience trying to get 1066+ stable with the 8500's Pi and settled back for 800+ using my 6400's Pi, both sets are 8gb's (4 x2gb's). My 6400's work without problems and I have fine tuned them to work as well as the set of 8500's that I am RMA'ing and I had pulled my hair out on and had lossed my voice from shouting at.

Comment

heh, well clad some helped. Those are pretty extreme line where the blocks will go, but all tested in full memtest. So, should be good. saw G.Skill comment on 1066 or 800 Mhz choise people makes. This is kinda true, but the truth is you cannot get the memory working workable any faster than CPU/Northbridge allows the bandwidth to go.

Of course this is different, if inside memory copy speeds would be needed. However, those speeds are in 9/10 of cases completely irrelevant to actual speed. So, 1:1 or lower ratios on AMD are always best selection specially while OCing.

-edit-

hmm, there is ofcourse edge cases where above 'statement' fails like 1080Mhz 5:6 with FSB450+. This would actually while overclocking on higher CL6 provide +500-900MB/s write/copy speeds and around 451-465Mhz FSB the read speed on Intel platforms would be exact same as the 1:1 ratio read speed at highest FSB, but this would be in cost of latency so in the end it would still be failure to get more actual speed.
                      Last edited by genetix; 09-11-2009, 09:00 AM.
                      "Sex is like freeware, shareware on weekends. When do we get to open source?" -TwL

Thanks AMD/ATI for banning legit customers who asks questions of your screw-ups:

Comment

Well, since it's all quiet lets talk about something totally screwed up from motherboard world called 'PCI Memory Remap'-feature on every motherboard there is.

by simply turning this feature down you get +200MB/s at least on memory speed with lose of 386MB / 4 GBs of memory. This totally idiotic feature was designed to remap the existing over 3712MB of memory which in for example 8GB board 768MB total lose is hell a lot less than losing 200MB/s read speeds.

Or does someone consider that 7424MB ain't enough from 8GB for use?
                        Last edited by genetix; 11-11-2009, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by genetix View Post
                          Well, since it's all quiet lets talk about something totally screwed up from motherboard world called 'PCI Memory Remap'-feature on every motherboard there is.

by simply turning this feature down you get +200MB/s at least on memory speed with lose of 386MB / 4 GBs of memory. This totally idiotic feature was designed to remap the existing over 3712MB of memory which in for example 8GB board 768MB total lose is hell a lot less than losing 200MB/s read speeds.

Or does someone consider that 7424MB ain't enough from 8GB for use?
                          6gbs is more than enough as of now--lol--I only use this type of memory consumption when running CAD and its is actually under 4gbs.

How about explaining more about the PCI Memory Remapping and ways to shut it off and consequences (if any)?

Comment

How about explaining more about the PCI Memory Remapping and ways to shut it off and consequences (if any)?
                            The idea of this was to loop the remaining RAM (384MB per 4GB that is) though PCI address space. The problem is when you do this this also slows down all RAM you have and all latencies your RAM uses has to pass this array. This means when the array or loop is slower of course as it's a loop to somewhere else the latencies suffer very much on this. There's no cons or bad side (This is simply bad design from hardware world to get full 4096GB/controller to work any way they could get them to work at the time 4GB came reality) except the 384MB/4GB lose of memory in this. 8GB systems will have 7424MB 4GB systems has 3712MB of available RAM with this. With full controller it's already tight spot to start tweaking latencies. Without this feature this loses some stress from latencies and you have much better chance to tweak the full controller or even 4GBs with style of latencies which would normally be functional with single memory stick. This increases speed instant as no loop is done while disabled. I do animations, flash, some java and work with Virtual Machines daily basis which require huge amount of RAM or as much there is to get, but hell even, if I were to push every last damn software to the limits over these quantities of RAM would never be too low. no software, game, application will utilize even over 4GBs and even that's very tops.

No Windows or Linux system suffers any lose of the feature as they did never require PCI Remap Feature in the first place and does map all the memory BIOS reports there to be and you can utilize all there as usual. This does not affect the system at anyway and as below WIKIPEDIA link this feature actually created more problems than it ever was worth.

Wikipedia:
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_hole

This is easy to simply test for see yourself (As they say self realization is more than thousand picture). Run an 2 benchmarks (I'd prefer Rightmark Multi-threaded Memory Analizer(RMMT.EXE) with over 65536KB of RAM on each core [because this cannot be below L2/L3 cache otherwise it's speeded up by it].). First one with feature enabled second one with feature disabled. and after you can even re-tweak the latencies a bit from what you got now to improve the disabled result.
                            Last edited by genetix; 11-13-2009, 03:46 PM. Reason: Sorry for novel, but took some time to prove & explain.

Comment

It won't be long and it will all be operating on some sort of flash or whatever new name they give it. The PCI controller is just sharing the resources of the memory from what I gather about the post. I am sure the manufacturers will do what they do they do best-- planned obsolescence. And we will just have to have those new boards and all the goodies that plug into them. Ahhh- the smell of upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by 4x64 View Post
                                It won't be long and it will all be operating on some sort of flash or whatever new name they give it. The PCI controller is just sharing the resources of the memory from what I gather about the post. I am sure the manufacturers will do what they do they do best-- planned obsolescence. And we will just have to have those new boards and all the goodies that plug into them. Ahhh- the smell of upgrades
                                Nope, not this feature. Nobody gives a good damn about how memory is remapped as long it shows correct size. No flash or even PCI-E would help. Renaming hehe, yeah, probably, but this feature has been with us so long it's already I think renamed so many times that only god knows what it's called really. PCI Hole? hahaha

Anyway, it still gives nice speed up to large quantity memory without anything else than lose of 384MB / 4GB..

So, as for tweak for people should just turn it off. Hell I keep thinking what would this do in Triple channel 12-24GB controller.
                                Last edited by genetix; 11-15-2009, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X