Apple IMac ddr2 800Mhz 2GB SODIMM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple IMac ddr2 800Mhz 2GB SODIMM

I thought I'd upgrade the memory on My Imac core 2 duo (2008 20").
    The memory specified is SODIMM DDR2 800MHz (would like to use 2GB module)

GSkill has

2GB G.Skill DDR2-800 Mac SODIMM FA-6400CL5S-2GBSQ
    ? This 2GB DDR2 SODIMM memory module for Mac has a CAS Latency of 5-5-5-15 and a test voltage of 1.8V.
    ? It is unbuffered, non-ECC and has a 6 layer PCB.
    ? The memory is 200-pin SO-DIMM.
    ? This Mac SODIMM is compatible with DDR2 models of the Mac mini, MacBook Pro & iMAC.

Why can't I use
    ? 2GB G.Skill 200-pin DIMM DDR2-PC6400 F2-6400CL5S-2GBSQ
    ? The DDR2 2GB SODIMM Memory has a CAS Latency of 5-5-5-15 and a test voltage of 1.8Volts.
    ? It is unbuffered, non-ECC and has 6 layer PCB.
    ? The memory is 200-pin SO-DIMM

The Mac specific memeory is hard to get, but the non Mac memory is on shelves.

What is the difference from an engineering and spec between the 2 modules, specs look the same to me ?
    Can I just use the F2 version instead of the FA becasue F2 is easier to get.

Yes, you can give it a shot. It should work as well.

Thank you
    GSKILL TECH

Comment

f2 sodimm doesn't work in a mac

well, I bought the F2 sodimm from the shop and tried it, and it doesn't work. The mac tries to boot but stops, so it doesn't boot. Old Hynix module works fine. So what is the difference between the F2 module and the FA mac module, specs look the same ??????

Comment

the hynix sodimm in the mac is 666-12

hmm, the hynix sodimm in the imac is 666-12, if this is the timimng does this mean the gskill is too slow at 555-15 ???, but the sgkill module for mac has 555-15 spec on the skill web site ????

so the skill f2 doesn't work, it's 555-15, the fa gskill is listed as 555-15, but the apple hynix is 666-12 ?????????????

Comment

The memory you have is slower, it has a higher clock cycle.

Try the DDR2-667 CL5 and it should work better. Seems like your computer wants DDR2-800 CL6.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

cl6 works fine

tried 800mhz cl6, they work fine on my iMac core2 duo 2.4ghz, ....... strange, would have thought faster is better and downward compatible. But 800mhz cl6 worked :-)

Comment

Working...
            X