Amd cpu users: Ram limitations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amd cpu users: Ram limitations

If using an AM2 or AM2+ socket mobo, please check your RAM limitations as posted by the mobo manufacturer, especially if looking to 1066 RAM or above. Some CPU/mobo combos won't run above 800 and in other instances will run 1066 RAM or above but are limited to 1 DIMM per channel.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

GSkill,

Might want to make this a sticky and/or edit it to more exacting specifications of the limitations, I could draft it up but will be working this weekend so it may be a few days. Also would probably be appropriate for other forums also, and save both you and me some time.

Thanx
    TMan

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?p=2927

It will be stickied once I get the privileges.
      Last edited by EnJoY; 05-02-2009, 08:25 PM.

Comment

How does running each stick in their own dimm relate to performance? Would it help to be running at 1000mhz but not in dual channel mode? Or would it be better to just leave them in dual channel mode?

Comment

Originally posted by NRD View Post
          How does running each stick in their own dimm relate to performance? Would it help to be running at 1000mhz but not in dual channel mode? Or would it be better to just leave them in dual channel mode?
          Well, single channel will theoretically cut your bandwidth in half, so no that would not be a smart route to take.

Comment

Basically your RAM runs on a 64bit bus, enabling dual channel opens the bus to 128bit, allowing faster throughput. While it does speed things up, the term "dual' itself is accurate and also inaccurate, you are indeed opening the bus to 128bit, but the actual speed increase will not be doubled, many debate the actual increase as anywhere form 5-15%. A good article about this can be found here:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/133

it's just one of many available

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X