F2-8500CL5D-4GBpk on Gigabyte GA0MA790GP-UD4H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2-8500CL5D-4GBpk on Gigabyte GA0MA790GP-UD4H

Hello, first off I've had great success with G-Skill products in the past.

I've recently built a new system.

motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H
    cpu: AMD Phenom X4 9950 BE
    ram - F2-8500CL5d-4Gx2pk (x2)

i installed the ram, and the system runs flawlessly, detecting the 8 gigs, but only detects it at 800 speed.

I have tried entering the bios and entering in the correct timings as listed on the lable, 5-6-6-18, voltage to 2.0 and and adjusted memory clock to 533.

doing this leaves the system caught up and unbootable. it just freezes while loading.

I'd really like to resolve this problem. any assistance you can provide on how to successfully get my ram to the marked speed would geatly be appreciated.

try increase the voltage of memory to 2.1v and NB voltage increase to a bit too.
    also try to run 1 pair at a time and make sure both pairs can do DDR2 1066.

Comment

I've put the memory voltage to 2.1v

i've also adjusted the northbridge voltage , trying each of the next 4 settings. still nothing working.

i removed one pair and tried each individual.

with one pair in it clocked the 4 gig 533 with a 3:8 FSP... however in SPD it still recognized maxspeed at pc6400. but i'm assuming this worked because at normal settings on "AUTO" prior it was just 400 clocked.

exchanging the pairs, i got similar results, so both seem to be functioning.

putting both pairs in, totaling the8 gig from both pairs... the system starts up, begins to load my operating system (Vista64) and i get a quick blue screen flash and the system reboots itself.

any other suggestions?

Comment

What BIOS are you running? F2H is current, dated 4/13/2009.

Also what is your tRFC? Try it at 52 or 54, if that works okay, you should be able to drop the volts back to 2.0 which is the rated voltage.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

i am running the most recent, F2H, bios.

the trfc setting.... hmm i don't see an option for 52/54... the option that is marked default is 127.5ns... for dimm 1-4.

as much as I love the 8 gig standard, i would like to get the boost form the 1066

i hope soon to get this issue resolved. if theres any other information I can provide that may be helpful, please let me know.

Comment

Is your command rate at 2T or 1T, probably want 2T.
            See if tRFC on your board offers 195ns, some list by ns others by tCK which is where I was going with the 52
            Last edited by Tradesman; 05-01-2009, 08:27 PM.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

command rate is at 2T. i shall try 195ns and report back thanks again.

Comment

still no go. system just starts to load windows and reboots

Comment

Believe I was running brain dead yesterday, had traveled to Phoenix and put in a network before getting home late last night. Think the problem is similar to rickb77904 (also from yesterday, also with an AMD CPU), in your instance with RAM at 1066 or above, in conjunction w/ the AMD AM2+ CPU you are limited to one DIMM per channel at the higher speeds with your mobo (See link below)

http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...790gp-ud4h.pdf

Possibly Gigabyte may have a work around, but wouldn't bet on it...Sorry bout that

Tman

Comment

1066 on a phenom or phenom II is not going to be easy and it especially will not be the same on every board, unfortunately.

Try increasing NB (not cpu nb) to 1.3v. Also, don't push vdimm past 2.0v, it doesn't need it, the voltage to the RAM is not the problem. Also, try increasing CPU NB to 1.3v and see if stability improves. Be sure to run Memtest 86 before trying to load windows to avoid the possibility of corrupting your windows installation.
                    Last edited by EnJoY; 05-02-2009, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Believe the biggest problem here is that the mobo will only take 1 DIMM per channel for a total of 2 DIMMS, Noj has 4, trying to run 8GB, which runs fine at 800, which is within the mobos limitations.
                      Last edited by Tradesman; 05-02-2009, 06:10 PM.

Tman

Comment

I just wanted to say thank you to those who took the time to try assisting me with this problem, thank you Enjoy and Tradesman.

I'm not well versed in the whole overclocking scene so I'd rather bide my time and run at normal stock performance levels. Whilst its a bummer I cannot get the 1066 speed due to my motherboard only accepting two sticks allowing me ot have 4gb 1066 instead of 8 at that speed as I had originally wanted/intended.... going up from 4gb 800 to my now current (and working ) 8gb 800 speed is still good for me.

Perhaps Gigabyte or some other entity shall develop a fix for said issue, but until then i'l have to deal with what I have. I'll be sure to keep touch in the forums for any new updates.

Again, thank you guys very much.

Even though I cannot use the product I purchased as intended, I'm further dedicated to companies such as Gskill and its wonderful support and helpful community.

-Noj

Comment

You can go either way, 4GB @ 1066, which maybe would be better if predominately gaming (but would think you might be wanting to OC if that's the case).....or go with the 8GB at 800, which I think you'll probably prefer overall. The speed difference in the RAM is so slight in everyday computing that you probably wouldn't even notice...but having the 8GB speeds up everything else if you multitask at all, and you'll probably find yourself doing it more and more. Most of the people I've moved to 64bit systems use to have 2 maybe three windows open at a time with 2-4GB, when I've moved them to 8-12GB or more am seeing more and more of them running multiple windows, many moving to dual displays, adding things like tv tuners etc.

Tman

Comment

you may try to install only one pair to run at DDR2 1066 to see if it will work
                            even motherboard manufacturer said DDR2 1066 is supported, but they didn't mean 4 sitcks at DDR2 1066
                            thanks

G.S

Comment

GSkill,
                              That's what I explained about about 1066 and above, only 1 DIMM per channel - there are only 2 channels.

Tman

Comment

Working...
                              X